HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3701  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:44 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3702  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Another cool old building Downtown is headed for demolition:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/busi...k-to-demolish-dilapidated-garage-685630/

In an alternate universe where this building had been maintained, it could have been the shell for a nice loft conversion. Oh well. Hopefully at some point something cool is done with this lot, which could be combined with the lot across Third Avenue to make a pretty big building site, maybe with a couple lower levels of parking then apartments and/or a hotel above ala the plan for the former Saks lot (although the fact the lot behind the Grant Building remains vacant doesn't bode well for the near future).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3703  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 1:06 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Another cool old building Downtown is headed for demolition:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/busi...k-to-demolish-dilapidated-garage-685630/

In an alternate universe where this building had been maintained, it could have been the shell for a nice loft conversion. Oh well. Hopefully at some point something cool is done with this lot, which could be combined with the lot across Third Avenue to make a pretty big building site, maybe with a couple lower levels of parking then apartments and/or a hotel above ala the plan for the former Saks lot (although the fact the lot behind the Grant Building remains vacant doesn't bode well for the near future).
That garage is a complete eyesore and I won't be sad to see it go. I agree that, in an alternate universe where it would have been properly maintained, it could have been an interesting shell for a loft conversion or something, but right now it just needs to disappear. And the URA needs to get involved to do something with that lot!

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"Deeply corrupt but still semi-functional - it's the Chicago way." -- Barrelfish
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3704  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 1:59 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Hopefully after it is demo'ed they can at least stop using the lot behind the Grant Building as a parking lot and get back to developing it. It would really stink if instead this building got pulled down and all we got was yet more surface parking in this area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3705  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 2:39 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Another cool old building Downtown is headed for demolition:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/busi...k-to-demolish-dilapidated-garage-685630/

In an alternate universe where this building had been maintained, it could have been the shell for a nice loft conversion. Oh well. Hopefully at some point something cool is done with this lot, which could be combined with the lot across Third Avenue to make a pretty big building site, maybe with a couple lower levels of parking then apartments and/or a hotel above ala the plan for the former Saks lot (although the fact the lot behind the Grant Building remains vacant doesn't bode well for the near future).
There does seem to be this consistent game that the city plays with historic buildings/bridges where they refuse maintain something for years and years and then when it's falling apart they say "We'd love to fix it but it's just too far gone by this time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3706  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 2:40 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
I think that they were hit pretty hard by the Fukushima disaster. No one's ordering Nuclear plants right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3707  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 3:02 PM
themaguffin themaguffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
I think that they were hit pretty hard by the Fukushima disaster. No one's ordering Nuclear plants right now.
That's what occurred to me. They had a lot planned in terms of contracts, but I'm sure at least some locations are at least postponing such plans to evaluate further given what happened in Japan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3708  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 5:38 PM
Topher51's Avatar
Topher51 Topher51 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The South Hills
Posts: 83
deleted

Last edited by Topher51; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3709  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 7:24 PM
joenicholas9's Avatar
joenicholas9 joenicholas9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher51 View Post
I just got back from a meeting at Desmone Associates for a different project, but while there, I found out that the developer for One Grandview commissioned them to do a new schematic design for that project. In this one, the hotel element and tower have been eliminated. The project would consist of 350 residential units in several buildings that vary between 4-8 stories tall & a 450 space internal parking garage. The buildings closest to the edge of Mt. Washington appear to step down the bluff like we saw in the earlier renderings. Sorry, I only saw the 3D rendering on their computer and don't have an image to pass on. If and when I do get a copy, I will post it.

It would be disappointing if the tower is not built, but it still looked like a great project.
I honestly like that plan better. I'd rather see high rises downtown than on Mt. Washington.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3710  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 8:11 PM
gallacus gallacus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher51 View Post
I just got back from a meeting at Desmone Associates for a different project, but while there, I found out that the developer for One Grandview commissioned them to do a new schematic design for that project. In this one, the hotel element and tower have been eliminated. The project would consist of 350 residential units in several buildings that vary between 4-8 stories tall & a 450 space internal parking garage. The buildings closest to the edge of Mt. Washington appear to step down the bluff like we saw in the earlier renderings. Sorry, I only saw the 3D rendering on their computer and don't have an image to pass on. If and when I do get a copy, I will post it.

It would be disappointing if the tower is not built, but it still looked like a great project.
Was the garage similar to in the old renderings, where they created a big open public space at street level? As long as there is some public element to the development I won't be too upset.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3711  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 8:20 PM
Steel City Scotty's Avatar
Steel City Scotty Steel City Scotty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher51 View Post
I just got back from a meeting at Desmone Associates for a different project, but while there, I found out that the developer for One Grandview commissioned them to do a new schematic design for that project. In this one, the hotel element and tower have been eliminated. The project would consist of 350 residential units in several buildings that vary between 4-8 stories tall & a 450 space internal parking garage. The buildings closest to the edge of Mt. Washington appear to step down the bluff like we saw in the earlier renderings. Sorry, I only saw the 3D rendering on their computer and don't have an image to pass on. If and when I do get a copy, I will post it.

It would be disappointing if the tower is not built, but it still looked like a great project.
Dang! I really liked the idea of looking up to see a huge tower with a spire sticking out of the roof on top of Mount Washington. But, I know that plan wasn't for everybody.

One of my best friends, who lives in the city and is far more cynical than me, thought the original rendering looked like quite an "eyesore."
__________________
"I didn't speak English until I came to Pittsburgh" - Mario Lemieux
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3712  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:52 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
I'd also settle for a nice cluster of residential buildings and a decent public space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3713  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 1:27 AM
Topher51's Avatar
Topher51 Topher51 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The South Hills
Posts: 83
deleted

Last edited by Topher51; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3714  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 1:54 AM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher51 View Post
I just got back from a meeting at Desmone Associates for a different project, but while there, I found out that the developer for One Grandview commissioned them to do a new schematic design for that project. In this one, the hotel element and tower have been eliminated. The project would consist of 350 residential units in several buildings that vary between 4-8 stories tall & a 450 space internal parking garage. The buildings closest to the edge of Mt. Washington appear to step down the bluff like we saw in the earlier renderings. Sorry, I only saw the 3D rendering on their computer and don't have an image to pass on. If and when I do get a copy, I will post it.

It would be disappointing if the tower is not built, but it still looked like a great project.
I will be a huge shame if the tower AND the hotel are not built. That is "outside the box" thinking taken to a whole new level, Pittsburgh rarely even gets outside the box...
__________________
Transportation planning, building better communities of tomorrow through superior connections between them today...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3715  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:59 AM
East Edge's Avatar
East Edge East Edge is offline
World Class City
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 145
I too am glad that eyesore of a parking garage is going to be torn down. it really takes away from the skyline at from that angle. I consider myself a preservationist and can see how that could have been a neat building if it was properly maintained over the years. Someone along the line thought it was a good idea to paint the whole thing peach...smart thinking, that made it look so much better! Our tax dollars at work :-)

In regards to the One Grandview, the concept was certainly exciting but always felt we would be sorry down the road. It just tried too hard. It shot up too abruptly and never seemed to be in scale with the rest of the Mount Washington skyline. I would much rather see more Amalfi Coast like, clustered forms celebrating the topography. I think world class quality is more valuable here then maxed out-get in as many rooms as possible to make the most profit design. I think they would be wise to try to incorporate some commercial space in here for rooftop dining / lounge space, high end health spa, heated pool with poolside service, etc. its crying out to have a resort like feel high up above it all. I understand that Shiloh Street is supposed to undergo a street scape which could really add to that feeling. Looks like there is another pretty cool place about to open up that I noticed while sitting on the deck at the Shiloh Grill. Its a no brainer, i cant imagine why there aren't unique little gift shops, jewelry stores, etc up there. The potential is there but some old school establishments still have a stronghold and need to retire and move along. Someone with deep pockets needs to go up there and stake their claim.

Lastly really excited about the images Austin Lee shared re the Burns and Scalo site. That is exactly what the skyline on that side of the river needs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3716  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:01 AM
Gilamonster Gilamonster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 463
I'm excited to read about the impending demolition of the parking garage on Fourth Ave. I suspect that the county will be selling that property at some point in the future for more than the $2 million they are paying to have it razed.
__________________
An optimist and a pessimist have one common viewpoint; their dislike of a realist.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3717  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 9:58 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
My favorite parts of One Grandview were never the hotel and tower, but rather the plaza, the jumble of condos down the hillside, and the (deferred to later) staircase down the hill. All that really played with the location and emphasized what makes Downtown's setting special.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3718  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 10:06 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
More details on the Falco plan for a "grocery" near Market Square:

http://www.popcitymedia.com/devnews/newgrocery050113.aspx

Quote:
The tentative plan, a joint-venture with the owners of Vallozzi’s restaurant, would offer high-end produce, fresh bread, fine meats, cheeses and wines, among other basic grocery items. His plan also includes a bar, a multi-purpose area that could be used for events such as wine tastings, and a basement kitchen for cooking prepared foods. The grocery would occupy about 4,600 square feet of real estate.
So I would agree that doesn't really sound like a full-fledged grocery store. On the other hand, it sounds like a pretty nice store, and I could actually see both it and a full-fledged grocery store co-existing Downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3719  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 10:55 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
ACTION-Housing is finishing 43 units in Uptown, and planning for 47 more in two additional buildings "up the road on Fifth Avenue":

http://www.popcitymedia.com/devnews/mackeylofts050113.aspx

I'll be interested to learn more about the new buildings (infill? rehab? etc.).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3720  
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 11:02 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Hello Bistro may be taking the long-vacant space in the recently restored ISDA building (at the corner of Forbes and Wood):

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/pittsburgh-may-be-greeting-hello-bistro-685755/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.