Heard a rumour today that Jasper-101 will be put up for sale as soon as the redevelopment is complete. Apparently GE wants out.
Also heard that a large REM firm is looking for 500+ units of higher quality, new resi. Up for consideration apparently are Mayfair, (no it won't affect the design of the north building), a portion of Century Park and Edgewater. They may also be looking at doing something at CCA lands.
Heard a rumour today that Jasper-101 will be put up for sale as soon as the redevelopment is complete. Apparently GE wants out.
Also heard that a large REM firm is looking for 500+ units of higher quality, new resi. Up for consideration apparently are Mayfair, (no it won't affect the design of the north building), a portion of Century Park and Edgewater. They may also be looking at doing something at CCA lands.
Not sure about GE, but there are many, MANY REM hunting for that type of asset in this city. Certainly not new news here.
Here are a few photos I took of the Pearl today from ETLC at the University of Alberta. I won't be getting any more photos from this angle, as I have now graduated with my degree in Materials Engineering. While I'm excited about this, it means I'll no longer have access to the building regularly. Enjoy these "end of an era" photos!
Yeah, not going to happen. I think Calgary's Epcor renos, the first go round came in around that level, were promptly scrapped. I doubt they could raise the money to pay off the loan. What kind of space is going to generate enough return to pay off $700 million. Take out $60 million for self supporting parking and you still have a huge hole. From my memory the project didn't have a hotel or office component.
The loan payment for edit:20 years would be $35,694,769.10 if from the provincial government through the City that would need to be tenant supported, assuming the tenants could keep the facility cash flow positive on the operating side too.
I always thought the city was missing more theatres in the small venue class (300-500) and the 5000-8000 range - do they even have the right products, or just what they know is used know since they already exist? Or is the goal to cannibalize the Jubilee and move those performances downtown?
Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Apr 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM.
^Interesting numbers. Is super ambitious project. Not sure it's the right project or not, but I can see why they want to be included in the CRL (or some of the streetscaping). If you're spending that kind of money, better be amazingly well designed and executed.
Don't think they're looking to cannibalize the Jubilee. Jubilee is already overbooked and still seats more (2500) than what they're proposing.
Is there more information on the programming of this available? For the spaces proposed the cost seems crazy. I know don't want to cheap out, but can have nice things that are still reasonable.
I've always thought that the Rossdale plant would be a great place for a performing arts venue. Surely that would be much cheaper than 3/4 billion bucks.