HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #801  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 1:44 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,401
Confederate flag coming down

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/913023--confederate-flag-coming-down

The saga of the Confederate flag at Hillbilly Heaven appears to be coming to an end.

Owner Cameron Bailey says he will paint over the flag on the King Street East and Walnut Street South building next week after his landlord received complaints about it.

“He doesn’t need that in his life,” said Bailey. “He leased the space to me. He didn’t put the sign up. To go and attack him makes no sense.”

The flag has upset some people because it is as seen as a racist symbol. Bailey said he put it up to highlight the southern barbecue-style of his food.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #802  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 6:24 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #803  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:09 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Owner Cameron Bailey says he will paint over the flag on the King Street East and Walnut Street South building next week after his landlord received complaints about it.
It is already done. Looks like a new panel up there! It looks like it was ready to go from day one! He got his few week of free press for his opening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #804  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 1:37 AM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #805  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:42 AM
CaptainKirk CaptainKirk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
It is already done. Looks like a new panel up there! It looks like it was ready to go from day one! He got his few week of free press for his opening.
To me it looks like the old sign left over from Waxy's Deli.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #806  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 7:58 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Hamilton serves up three-colour restaurant inspection system
(Flamborough Review, Kevin Werner, Apr 13 2013)

You’ve heard of the television show Restaurant Impossible? Well, councillor Sam Merulla has changed that to restaurant possible.

After a decade of fighting public health officials and his colleagues to get them to accept a three-colour card restaurant inspection system, Merulla’s tenacity will finally be rewarded starting next February.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said the Ward 4 representative, after politicians approved the updated inspection system at a recent council meeting. “I looked at the date and I first proposed it in 2003.”

He said a green card is identified as excellent and a yellow card is okay, but if a restaurant gets a red card, it means “stick a fork in it.”

Starting this year, the city’s public health inspectors will begin issuing a green, yellow or red cards when they evaluate Hamilton’s restaurants.

Currently, the city has only a green and red card system that identifies a restaurant as being in compliance with the inspection or having failed it. A yellow card, under the city definition, means there are “significant non-compliance” issues and a re-inspection is required within 48 hours.

Rob Hall, director of the city’s health protect branch, said a yellow card, which will be placed on the door of the establishment, indicates there are no health risks if people still want to eat there.

The current system will be in place for the rest of 2013, but Hall said inspectors will be educating businesses about the yellow card system. Any fines or other enforcement procedures will begin taking place in February 2014, he said.

It will cost about $35,000 to begin the new program, plus another $20,000 for evaluating the system. There is an annual operating cost of $3,000.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #807  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:10 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
A Hamilton man's quest to educate on First Nations culture with food
(CBC Hamilton, Julia Chapman, Apr 16 2013)

Josh Dockstator learned the correlation between love and food from his grandmother. He's keeping that lesson close as he starts his new business, a food truck offering a contemporary spin on traditional First Nations cuisine.

Dockstator is just weeks away from hitting the road with The Big Chief, Hamilton's latest addition to a growing food truck culture.

“I thought I'd combine [my culture] with my love of cooking,” he said. "I had two strong matriarchs in my family — my grandmother and my mother — I was always the little boy on the [kitchen] counter watching.”

On his truck, he plans to use “food as a vehicle to educate people” about First Nations culture and spirituality.

“[The menu] is a couple of things you'd see at a pow-wow, with a spin,” Dockstator describes.

He used his trips to Six Nations - where his grandmother is from - and reserves in Northern Ontario, along with family recipes passed down as inspiration.

Smoked trout chowder, bison burgers, pulled moose sandwiches

Expect to see smoked trout chowder with wild boar bacon, bison burgers, pulled moose sandwiches and Indian tacos with venison chili moving through the window of The Big Chief truck to eaters.

“I love seeing people's faces when they enjoy my food,” he said. “You can see it - their eyes open up more and it's a good feeling. It makes me pleasure.”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #808  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 12:56 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
I wish them the best of luck.

I have had moose, however, and I'd say it's an acquired taste. I don't particularly like any kind of venison though.

A food truck seems ideal for this kind of cuisine...hope to see them around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #809  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 5:58 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,759
Starbucks comes to Barton, but leave your laptop at home

You’ve heard of Starbucks. U.S. coffee chain, kind of upscale. Comfy furniture, sometimes even a fireplace. Wi-Fi, naturally, and hip music. And by the cash, a big tip jar.

Well, I’ve just been to a different kind of Starbucks. It has none of the above.

But what really sets this one apart is location. This Starbucks is on Barton Street. Never thought I’d see the day.

Starbucks took its time coming to Hamilton. Maybe it wasn’t sure if this industrial city was its kind of town. The chain had already opened in Guelph, Oakville, Burlington. Then Ancaster.

Finally, in 1999, it came to Hamilton proper, with a store on Upper James near Rymal. There have been a few others since. Locke Street, for instance, the place real estate agents call trendy. No surprise that Starbucks would go there.

But Barton, a street that’s been struggling for decades?

Target didn't team up with Hortons
This has everything to do with that other American phenomenon, Target, now in the midst of opening some 135 stores across Canada.

In the States, Target has partnered with Starbucks for about a dozen years. As Target prepared to set up in this country, some speculated the chain would team up with Hortons instead. O Canada.

Didn’t happen. And that is why a new Starbucks has opened at 1211 Barton Street East, just inside the front doors of the new Target. Some people call these coffee shops Tarbucks.

It’s Charlotte behind the counter. She’s a cashier for Target, but is on coffee duty right now – so has switched from a red top to black.

I tell her I haven’t been in Starbucks much and might need a little guidance. She’s hearing that a lot. With her help, I end up with something called a decaf non-fat mocha grande. I wonder about the ginger molasses cookie. She says it’s good. (It’s certainly big – 360 calories.)

Charlotte’s taken some time with me. I look for the tip jar. In Target, she tells me, that’s against the rules.

Target’s slogan is "Expect more, pay less." That’s not the selling point at Starbucks. My coffee and cookie, with tax, $7.23.

No laptops on the tables here. "I know," says one young server. "What’s a Starbucks without Wi-Fi?

No Timbits in Seattle
There is no Hortons in Seattle, the city where the chain was born. Maybe Hortons did that out of respect, or maybe it was just scared.

But this new Starbucks at Barton and Ottawa is trespassing on sacred ground, just down the street from the world’s first Hortons on Ottawa at Dunsmure. Those nervy Americans.

You can’t see that historic first Hortons from the new Starbucks window, but you can see the one they built on the other side of this strange retail complex that used to be Centre Mall.

So with that jumbo ginger cookie to work off, I go hiking across the desolate tarmac to that Hortons.

No effect on business here at all, a manager tells me. But she’s curious, wants to know how it was at the competition. "Good," I say, "and expensive."

And unlike that Starbucks across the way, there’s Wi-Fi here. On Barton Street anyway, Hortons just might be hippest.

[email protected] | @PaulWilsonCBC

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/talk/story/2013/04/15/hamilton-starbucks.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #810  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
How, in blazes, does a coffee and a cookie come to $7.23?!? Even at Starbucks that seems mental.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #811  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:53 PM
beanmedic's Avatar
beanmedic beanmedic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
How, in blazes, does a coffee and a cookie come to $7.23?!? Even at Starbucks that seems mental.
It's a latte type beverage. It's not a regular cup of coffee.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #812  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:55 PM
beanmedic's Avatar
beanmedic beanmedic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 215
I have no idea why he would order the fanciest drink on the menu and then highlight the price. It's a milky-chocolatey-coffee drink with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #813  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:37 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
^And it costs $5 - $5.50? Brutal.

It's been a year since I was in a Starbucks and I think I paid $2.50-$3 for a latte or something...and complained vociferously as I recall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #814  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:52 AM
BCTed BCTed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^And it costs $5 - $5.50? Brutal.

It's been a year since I was in a Starbucks and I think I paid $2.50-$3 for a latte or something...and complained vociferously as I recall.
You are free to complain, but most prices are posted... you roughly know what you are getting and what you have to pay for it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #815  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:21 AM
beanmedic's Avatar
beanmedic beanmedic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^And it costs $5 - $5.50? Brutal.

It's been a year since I was in a Starbucks and I think I paid $2.50-$3 for a latte or something...and complained vociferously as I recall.
no way. starbucks lattes cost more than that, and have for a long time. And that's not just starbucks, that's pretty much market rate for a latte ($4-5).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #816  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:46 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
^I'm quite sure you're right. And it's probably been more than a year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #817  
Old Posted May 4, 2013, 10:37 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Alirang, favourably reviewed: "The variety wasn't as elaborate as Korea House but the quality was still great."

Alirang, ambivalently reviewed: "I’d probably pop in for appetizers if I was in the neighborhood but otherwise I wouldn’t go out of my way to return for a second visit."

The Ottawa menu is presumably reflective of the Hamilton location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #818  
Old Posted May 5, 2013, 10:27 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is offline
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 4,059
SARCOMA Restaurant. Great name. Only in Hamilton?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #819  
Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:00 AM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Anyone get out to Sew Hungry on Friday?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #820  
Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:35 AM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Anyone get out to Sew Hungry on Friday?
Wanted to go, but reports of 35,000 people there stopped me!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.