HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6841  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:23 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Here's a fun little article regarding Regina's music scene. It only goes into one specific genre of music unfortunately, so I am not so sure how that constitutes the city of being the music capital. Maybe the Indie capital?


http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/4/Regina-Canadas-next-music-capital

Last edited by Devon; Apr 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished.
     
     
  #6842  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:53 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post


I'm surprised nobody has claimed the spot at the south west corner of Lewvan and Gordon. (across from Lancasters Taphouse). That seems like a prime spot with very good visibility from Lewvan. The shape seems like a good spot for a restaurant of some sort, and considering Regina's addiction to restaurant eating it seems even more odd that it sits empty.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #6843  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:06 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Gross.
Before the forum becomes completely defensive over your comment, you are right.
     
     
  #6844  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:13 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
New Design Regina Official Community Plan information. Everyone should give feedback.

http://www.designregina.ca/official-community-plan-3/
     
     
  #6845  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:55 AM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
-

Last edited by thefourthtower; May 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
     
     
  #6846  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 8:34 PM
Snowgirl Snowgirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
London Drugs

I thought London Drugs was going to move into the old Canadian Tire on S. Albert once it was relocated to the Southland Mall. Who's going in there now?
     
     
  #6847  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
The Good Earth sign at the corner of Lewvan and Gordon is probably very old.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Good Earth sign went up after the signs in the window of the space by Ultracuts & Opa came down. I live in the area & thought that location would have been well suited to a coffee house, so I was disappointed when the signs in the windows came down & there was no other indication in Grasslands that Good Earth was even interested. Then the sign at Lewvan & Gordon went up.

When the annouced their arrival in Regina, they suggested 3 locations in addition to Hill II: Harbour Landing; Normanview & Vic East.
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/...-soon-to-be-brewing-in-regina-924855.htm
     
     
  #6848  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:30 AM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
I thought London Drugs was going to move into the old Canadian Tire on S. Albert once it was relocated to the Southland Mall. Who's going in there now?
Welcome Snowgirl!!! I heard that Extra Foods is moving from the Golden Mile to the Old Canadian Tire. Why??!!! I don't know. Some developments are like state secrets.
     
     
  #6849  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:38 AM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I'm sure they want to control and own their own land much like other stores like Walmart.
True.
     
     
  #6850  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:27 PM
UPP UPP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Welcome Snowgirl!!! I heard that Extra Foods is moving from the Golden Mile to the Old Canadian Tire. Why??!!! I don't know. Some developments are like state secrets.
Hopefully they'll morph it into one of those Independent Grocers. I think the one at Normanview is pretty popular and sells some non-traditional fare unlikely to be found at a regular Extra Foods.
     
     
  #6851  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:29 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Welcome Snowgirl!!! I heard that Extra Foods is moving from the Golden Mile to the Old Canadian Tire. Why??!!! I don't know. Some developments are like state secrets.
Hard to believe as the pay such low rent at Golden Mile as they are considered an anchor.

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM.
     
     
  #6852  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:24 PM
Dan0myte Dan0myte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Good Earth sign went up after the signs in the window of the space by Ultracuts & Opa came down. I live in the area & thought that location would have been well suited to a coffee house, so I was disappointed when the signs in the windows came down & there was no other indication in Grasslands that Good Earth was even interested. Then the sign at Lewvan & Gordon went up.
Good observation. Sounds like they still want to open a location there but as of yet, there's no interest in their brand.

If I were investing that much money in a coffee shop I think I'd wait until they start developing the Village District there (west of DQ/Urban Barn). The angle parking, planned park/green space and walkability of it makes for a better "coffee shop" location.

The artists even imagined a coffee shop being the anchor of it. Regina Roasters is even a good name for it, as then you wouldn't have to pay any franchise fees.

     
     
  #6853  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:16 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
-

Last edited by thefourthtower; Apr 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM.
     
     
  #6854  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:58 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Major Regina concert at Mosaic Stadium could be Paul McCartneyOttawa expecting McCartney to be announced
Reported by Murray Wood
First Posted: Apr 19, 2013 12:11pm
Change text size: + - Another big concert is coming to Mosaic Stadium this summer and there’s a Beatle buzz happening already.

A news conference has been called for Monday morning. Premier Brad Wall and Regina Mayor Michael Fougere are among those who will be on hand. There's no indication of who it is---but---at least one other Canadian city is expecting a Paul McCartney announcement on Monday.

The Ottawa Citizen is reporting that one or even two McCartney announcements are expected to be announced there on Monday by Live Nation, the same promoter calling the news conference in Regina.

McCartney is on an extensive world tour. The Rolling Stones are also on a concert tour this summer. So far, no one close to the Regina announcement is commenting on who it might be
not construction but a great story source cjme
Like the Stones, McCartney would fill Mosaic -- at least -- 2X!!!
     
     
  #6855  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:41 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Like the Stones, McCartney would fill Mosaic -- at least -- 2X!!!
Personally I don't think his show could compare to the Stones. Sure he is a legend, but he does not have the stage presence of Mick and the Stones. Also he has definitely lost a lot of his vocal ability over the last few years as evidenced by his performance at the Olympics.
     
     
  #6856  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 8:30 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Personally I don't think his show could compare to the Stones. Sure he is a legend, but he does not have the stage presence of Mick and the Stones. Also he has definitely lost a lot of his vocal ability over the last few years as evidenced by his performance at the Olympics.
Damn, I didn't know about his vocal ability thing. Hopefully it won't be an issue though.
     
     
  #6857  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 6:21 PM
GregCB GregCB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 81
Regina Downtown is conducting a survey of people who either live downtown, or who might at some point consider doing so, on what can be done to make downtown living in Regina more enticing: http://www.prairiedogmag.com/rdbid-surveys-reginans-on-downtown-living/
     
     
  #6858  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 2:09 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,054
Although it is nice to see another $1 billion spent on a construction project near Regina, this cost overrun at K+S does not bode well for other proposed solution Potash mines including Western, Vale, Encanto, Karnalyte, Rio Tinto, etc.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/22/ks-canada-idUKL6N0D90AX20130422

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM. Reason: updated story/link
     
     
  #6859  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:37 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Damn, I didn't know about his vocal ability thing. Hopefully it won't be an issue though.
McCartney is coming to town after all! Awesome! (August 14th.)
     
     
  #6860  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 8:30 PM
spictacular mcluvin's Avatar
spictacular mcluvin spictacular mcluvin is offline
Chilean like a villian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton/Regina
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Good observation. Sounds like they still want to open a location there but as of yet, there's no interest in their brand.

If I were investing that much money in a coffee shop I think I'd wait until they start developing the Village District there (west of DQ/Urban Barn). The angle parking, planned park/green space and walkability of it makes for a better "coffee shop" location.

The artists even imagined a coffee shop being the anchor of it. Regina Roasters is even a good name for it, as then you wouldn't have to pay any franchise fees.

I thought they got rid of the Urban Village? If this is true it seems as if they only used it to appear progressive but it's another big box, huge ugly parking stall, development with no imagination. Oh well, I hope I am wrong but I swore someone said they are no longer doing the "Urban Village" and the pdf on Harvards website that mentioned it no longer exists.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.