HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #981  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:56 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
I like Mici, Cosmos, Sliceworks, Pizza Republica, Lala, 🞵🞵🞵🞵 Pizza.. Hell I like pizza..
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #982  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:57 PM
Interzen Interzen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: La Alma/Lincoln Park - Denver, CO
Posts: 356
Turkish pizza is great. A fried egg in the middle surrounded by fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #983  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 11:49 PM
wong21fr's Avatar
wong21fr wong21fr is offline
Reluctant Hobbesian
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,126
Benny Blanco's anyone?
__________________
"You don't strike, you just go to work everyday and do your job real half-ass. That's the American way!" -Homer Simpson

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #984  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:58 AM
EngiNerd's Avatar
EngiNerd EngiNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 2,003
Parisi and Osteria Marco are probably my favs in Denver, though I really go for arugula on pizzas and true italian style pizzas in general.
__________________
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #985  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:43 PM
DenverInfill's Avatar
DenverInfill DenverInfill is offline
mmmm... infillicious!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lower Highland, Denver
Posts: 3,357
My first SimCity was for Super Nintendo:

__________________
~ Ken

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #986  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:55 PM
Interzen Interzen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: La Alma/Lincoln Park - Denver, CO
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
My first SimCity was for Super Nintendo:
My first SimCity was Ceasar:



I'm even in the credits as a play tester.

It wasn't a pure ripoff of SimCity but definitely inspired by it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #987  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 6:22 PM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus Cirrus is offline
cities|transit|croissants
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,718
Actually, according to my parents, my first SimCity was matchbox cars and masking tape on the linoleum basement floor.

Vaguely like this random internet picture.

__________________
writing | twitter | bluesky | flickr | instagram | ssp photo threads
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #988  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:00 PM
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,215
I grew up on SimCity 2000. When I got my hands on the the original SimCity, it just didn't appeal to me. Blasphemy, I know. I've played all of the rest (except the newest one) but, they just don't have the same charm. I liked how you could start in 1950 and work your way up to arcologies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #989  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:07 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
The original computer SimCity came with what was basically a little paperback textbook on urban planning. That was back in the era when lots of games came with books (think Carmen Sandiego and getting a World Almanac)... probably my first planning text, actually. I still have it - it has an honored spot on my shelf with all my other planning books.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #990  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:09 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I grew up on SimCity 2000. When I got my hands on the the original SimCity, it just didn't appeal to me. Blasphemy, I know. I've played all of the rest (except the newest one) but, they just don't have the same charm. I liked how you could start in 1950 and work your way up to arcologies.
The best city I built was in SimCity 2000.. It had 140 mil in the bank and was profiting every month. Then what I did was export it to SimCopter / Streets of SimCity to drive and fly around my city. That was a truly special suite of software which I wish they continued with. You could truly interact with your city in many ways.
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #991  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:19 PM
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
The best city I built was in SimCity 2000.. It had 140 mil in the bank and was profiting every month. Then what I did was export it to SimCopter / Streets of SimCity to drive and fly around my city. That was a truly special suite of software which I wish they continued with. You could truly interact with your city in many ways.
Could SimCopter/ Streets take photos of the city? I just can't imagine you playing those games without accumulating tons of photos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #992  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:45 PM
bcp's Avatar
bcp bcp is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 5,143
hate to be that guy...but can we "new thread" this talk?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #993  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:51 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Did any of you guys ever play SimAnt? Or SimEarth? "Trichordates are sentient!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #994  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:53 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
hate to be that guy...but can we "new thread" this talk?
Oh come on, you know as well anybody that this conversation will last about 15 posts until there's something more transportation-relevant to post about, and then we'll move on. A dedicated thread would be pointless.

Shall we go back to talking about I-70? I think we've exhausted that. Unless we want to talk about how some of the project opponents would be more effective if they just said nothing at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #995  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 8:54 PM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus Cirrus is offline
cities|transit|croissants
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,718
No. I played SimTower a couple of times and hated it.

I have a soft spot for 2000 too, though. It's the one that really set the tone.
__________________
writing | twitter | bluesky | flickr | instagram | ssp photo threads
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #996  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 9:01 PM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus Cirrus is offline
cities|transit|croissants
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,718
Moved the simcity stuff to this thread. Partly just to troll bunt.

__________________
writing | twitter | bluesky | flickr | instagram | ssp photo threads
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #997  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 9:05 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Could SimCopter/ Streets take photos of the city? I just can't imagine you playing those games without accumulating tons of photos.
YES! I have all that stuff somewhere in the dark caverns of my hard drives. I have a ton of pictures driving up my City Park Hill and landing on my tallest skyscraper in the city with my Helicopter. I'll look around for those pictures this weekend. They were really cool.

What was cool about Streets is that you had machine 🞵🞵🞵🞵, missiles, etc so you could destroy traffic and also your buildings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Did any of you guys ever play SimAnt? Or SimEarth? "Trichordates are sentient!"
I played about 30 minutes of SimAnt and quit. It was way too weird for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
No. I played SimTower a couple of times and hated it.

I have a soft spot for 2000 too, though. It's the one that really set the tone.
Couldn't you export your SimTower into 2000 as well? I think all those SimCity 2000 era games were intertwined.
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #998  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 9:15 PM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus Cirrus is offline
cities|transit|croissants
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,718
In sort-of-related news, one of bunt & my classmates from planning school just posted a bunch of pictures on facebook of her kids hanging out at a light rail station watching the trains.

The next generation, being trained early.
__________________
writing | twitter | bluesky | flickr | instagram | ssp photo threads
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #999  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 9:51 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Well if that doesn't make me feel old and crusty... It's fine to post pictures of your kids on Facebook. Adorable, really. As long as you're still five years older than me.

Those kids will never know a Denver where the train isn't how you go downtown. Kinda cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1000  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 11:02 PM
EngiNerd's Avatar
EngiNerd EngiNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Did any of you guys ever play SimAnt? Or SimEarth? "Trichordates are sentient!"
I played SimEarth quite a bit, always just ended up flooding the planet on accident it seemed, and never could quite get the hang of it...SimCity is where I started, but most of my time was in SimCity 2000. Want to try the new one, but I don't have a machine capable of running it at home (I do a work, but that starts a bad precedent for not getting anything else done).
__________________
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.