HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4461  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:28 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
This is an excellent angle showing Toronto's density, too bad the photo quality is so off.
Toronto is starting to get some nice density beyond the CBD. Just need another 100 towers in there and it will start coming together.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #4462  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:53 AM
softee's Avatar
softee softee is offline
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown Toronto
Posts: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I like Yonge & Dundas Square, I don't understand the hate. It's not as charming as Montreal that's for sure, but it's a happening central location in the city that always has something going on.
I agree, if you're looking for a true "bright lights, big city" experience and almost nonstop crazy street action and crowds, nothing else in Canada comes close to Yonge and Dundas. I love it.
__________________
Public transit is the lifeblood of every healthy city.
     
     
  #4463  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:09 AM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I agree, if you're looking for a true "bright lights, big city" experience and almost nonstop crazy street action and crowds, nothing else in Canada comes close to Yonge and Dundas. I love it.
100% agreed. No other city in Canada offers anything comparable. It's unique in that sense.
     
     
  #4464  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:48 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
It needs to be more over the top. That's on my wish list.
     
     
  #4465  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:30 AM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
I'd feel more like Y/D Square was in the heart of the city if it were surrounded by tall towers. Aura and Massey Tower will help with that.
     
     
  #4466  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:53 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Another thing that would help Dundas Square is more Dynamic Advertising on the surrounding billboards, like it use to be in the Old Days with Sam the Record Man, A & A, and Sunrise Records. The entire south facing flank of 10 Dundas and the Atrium on Bay should be covered with interactive and interconnected LED displays that would inject more electricity to the square.
     
     
  #4467  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:00 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I agree, if you're looking for a true "bright lights, big city" experience and almost nonstop crazy street action and crowds, nothing else in Canada comes close to Yonge and Dundas. I love it.
Robson and Granville probably rivals it pedestrian wise ( Robson/Granville actually looks busier on Street View), and with the Sears building getting a reclad and another redevelopment across the street, Robson and Granville will probly beat Yonge and Dundas, using your criteria.
     
     
  #4468  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:03 AM
ACT7 ACT7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Robson and Granville probably rivals it pedestrian wise ( Robson/Granville actually looks busier on Street View), and with the Sears building getting a reclad and another redevelopment across the street, Robson and Granville will probly beat Yonge and Dundas, using your criteria.
You're joking right? Y&D square typically sees close to, if not over, 100,000 pedestrians a day.

http://completestreetsforcanada.ca/examples/downtown-yonge-street-toronto
     
     
  #4469  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:06 AM
ToxiK ToxiK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I like Yonge & Dundas Square, I don't understand the hate. It's not as charming as Montreal that's for sure, but it's a happening central location in the city that always has something going on.
What I liked about Dundas Square is its central feeling. I had the impression that whatever direction I went from there, I would see something interesting.
     
     
  #4470  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:07 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
my pictures


from Today



From Summer


     
     
  #4471  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:09 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
The problem for Vancouver is that it also has, a block down Granville, another busy nexus at Granville and Georgia so it kinda splits up the pedestrian activity. Plus Robson Square is nowhere near big enough to support as many people as Y&D.

Granville Street is friggin badass though. Miss it a lot. Same with Robson, Davie, Denman and Burrard! Awwe now I'm getting all nostalgic
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #4472  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:15 AM
ACT7 ACT7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The problem for Vancouver is that it also has, a block down Granville, another busy nexus at Granville and Georgia so it kinda splits up the pedestrian activity. Plus Robson Square is nowhere near big enough to support as many people as Y&D.

Granville Street is friggin badass though. Miss it a lot. Same with Robson, Davie, Denman and Burrard! Awwe now I'm getting all nostalgic
But that could be said for Toronto as well. Yonge and Dundas, Yonge and Queen, Yonge and Bloor, Bay and Bloor, Bay and Queen. They all have pedestrian counts closing in on 100K a day.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2012/08/08/humanizing-traffic-counts-at-toronto-intersections/

Anyway, I'm way off topic.
     
     
  #4473  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:17 AM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Robson and Granville probably rivals it pedestrian wise ( Robson/Granville actually looks busier on Street View), and with the Sears building getting a reclad and another redevelopment across the street, Robson and Granville will probly beat Yonge and Dundas, using your criteria.

This is a better representation of the pedestrian traffic at Yonge & Dundas than on Street View:




I'd say this is about average. At times it gets way busier than this, as you can see in Caltrane's photos above.
     
     
  #4474  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:28 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
Y&D is certainly busy, no doubt about that. It leaves a lot to be desired as a public square though. It just lacks a certain soul. It feels very empty even when it is packed with people.
     
     
  #4475  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:32 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Y&D is certainly busy, no doubt about that. It leaves a lot to be desired as a public square though. It just lacks a certain soul. It feels very empty even when it is packed with people.
I agree, and I'd say that due to the square itself feeling very much like little more than vacant space. It needs a monument or something similar in the middle to act as a focal point. I also think that the street to the south of the square should be shut down and added to the square so that patios can spill out from those building on to the square.
     
     
  #4476  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:56 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Y&D is certainly busy, no doubt about that. It leaves a lot to be desired as a public square though. It just lacks a certain soul. It feels very empty even when it is packed with people.
I agree. It's the only place in Canada that has that Tokyo/Times Square Feel to it, but the square itself is quite plain. The plaza would be better if it was more like Union Square in SF, or Madison Square Park in NYC, maybe even Bryant Park.

That said, the public space in Times Square isn't great either, but the sheer volume of people and all the neon makes it.
     
     
  #4477  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:34 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
But that could be said for Toronto as well. Yonge and Dundas, Yonge and Queen, Yonge and Bloor, Bay and Bloor, Bay and Queen. They all have pedestrian counts closing in on 100K a day.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2012/08/08/humanizing-traffic-counts-at-toronto-intersections/

Anyway, I'm way off topic.
Toronto also has over 3x the population.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #4478  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:41 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
What I liked about Dundas Square is its central feeling. I had the impression that whatever direction I went from there, I would see something interesting.
Tell me about it. It's a challenge to avoid it when I visit Toronto, but I will go out of my way to do so. Toronto needs a nice, green, artsy, downtown square. Nathan square won't do it with its all-concrete landscape.
     
     
  #4479  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:43 PM
Mrs Sauga Mrs Sauga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 730
What I don't about Y&D is that only the north, south, and west sides feel like a major city. East side feels like London or Windsor. The entire square should be surrounded by skyscrapers.
     
     
  #4480  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:46 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
What I don't about Y&D is that only the north, south, and west sides feel like a major city. East side feels like London or Windsor. The entire square should be surrounded by skyscrapers.
Give it time. A 146 metre tower is under construction at Dundas & Jarvis. The east side of Dundas has a lot of empty lots.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.