HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3461  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 1:25 PM
Steel City Scotty's Avatar
Steel City Scotty Steel City Scotty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 301
Could someone please provide me with a little more guidance as to where this Exxon station near Station Square is located?

I've tried to use Google Maps to find it so that I could have some perspective, but so far, I haven't seen it anywhere.

Thanks!
__________________
"I didn't speak English until I came to Pittsburgh" - Mario Lemieux
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3462  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 1:42 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
Could someone please provide me with a little more guidance as to where this Exxon station near Station Square is located?
I assume people are talking about this one:

http://goo.gl/maps/oJqjH
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3463  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 1:44 PM
themaguffin themaguffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,312
I wish the complaints about the hotel being "plain" had been elaborated on in the article.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3464  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:41 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
How can I be angry at such an adorable NIMBY family?

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/s...renceville-residents/Content?oid=1634869

Quote:
Spreading its Wings: Thunderbird Café owners want nightclub to grow, but expansion plans don't sit well with Lawrenceville residents

"The expansion needs to be responsible."


by Lauren Daley


Photo by Heather Mull

The Hydzik family, who live on Fisk Street, oppose the Thunderbird expansion


On a recent Thursday, staff at Lawrenceville's Thunderbird Café methodically carried high-top tables out of the bar.

They were making room for that night's act — funk band Turkuaz — who would later perform on the Thunderbird's mezzanine level stage. The venue, which has been around since 2000, has become a home for a variety of music — from local and national blues and roots music, to indie rock and the weekly Space Exchange jazz series.

That popularity and a current space crunch, says owner John Pergal, is the reason he and his wife, Ami, are pursuing a $3 million development project to consolidate several properties in the block between 41st Street and Almond Way along Butler Street. The plan would create a new two-story building that will house an expanded Thunderbird, raising the venue's capacity from 246 to 600, and a new three-story building that would hold a restaurant kitchen and residential units above.

"The issue we have now is it gets so crowded we can't even do a good job for our customers," he says. "It's a good problem to have, but we need to expand."

Pergal says the idea is to create a "supper club" for 300-400 customers with live shows three or four nights a week. The current Thunderbird encompasses 5,500 square feet; the new facility would be 8,900 square feet.

...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3465  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:49 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Quote:
All of the new homes are under contract with buyers. Andy Haines of S&A Homes says his company receives continuous calls of interest for Federal Hill.

“It's one of our best selling developments throughout the three states we work in,” Haines says.

Every home in each previous phase has also been sold
That really says something about the pent-up need for housing on the Northside. Hope that they continue the project, there's still a lot of room for infill housing on either side of Federal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3466  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 3:06 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I wish the complaints about the hotel being "plain" had been elaborated on in the article.
This is the Highland Street elevation posted on the actual building site (I don't know if this is what was shown to the commission):



Doesn't look too bad to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3467  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:20 PM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is the Highland Street elevation posted on the actual building site (I don't know if this is what was shown to the commission):



Doesn't look too bad to me.
I like that. It's a good combination of classical and modern/contemporary. Plus, I think it will mesh well with other developments taking place as well.

Speaking of East Liberty, HOLY 🞵🞵🞵🞵!! I'm really getting excited about how this neighborhood will be completely transformed within the upcoming year(s).

I can't wait to see that ugly strip-mall transformed -- the one along Penn Avenue between the Bakery Square developments and the transit center. That design, as I've said before, is going to prove to be a down-right dreadful use. It's already a bad use given its location in a high-density urban setting, but it will be even more of an eyesore once Bakery Square I and II, the transit center, and everything else going on are all finished.

Bakery Square phase III perhaps? I heard there was something in the works for that at some point...

Also, I meant to point something else about the Almono project. I guess we could see some additional labs in the re-worked mill structure. Isn't that considered as light industrial?
__________________
Transportation planning, building better communities of tomorrow through superior connections between them today...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3468  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:35 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is the Highland Street elevation posted on the actual building site (I don't know if this is what was shown to the commission):



Doesn't look too bad to me.
Hotel Indigo - Houston



Hotel Indigo - Miami



Hotel Indigo - Toronto



Hotel Indigo - Nashville



Hotel Indigo - Scottsdale

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3469  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:39 PM
Steel City Scotty's Avatar
Steel City Scotty Steel City Scotty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I like that. It's a good combination of classical and modern/contemporary. Plus, I think it will mesh well with other developments taking place as well.

Speaking of East Liberty, HOLY 🞵🞵🞵🞵!! I'm really getting excited about how this neighborhood will be completely transformed within the upcoming year(s).

I can't wait to see that ugly strip-mall transformed -- the one along Penn Avenue between the Bakery Square developments and the transit center. That design, as I've said before, is going to prove to be a down-right dreadful use. It's already a bad use given its location in a high-density urban setting, but it will be even more of an eyesore once Bakery Square I and II, the transit center, and everything else going on are all finished.

Bakery Square phase III perhaps? I heard there was something in the works for that at some point...

Also, I meant to point something else about the Almono project. I guess we could see some additional labs in the re-worked mill structure. Isn't that considered as light industrial?
I assume you're referencing the strip-mall that currently features a Trader Joe's? Just to the side of Bakery Square?
__________________
"I didn't speak English until I came to Pittsburgh" - Mario Lemieux
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3470  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:41 PM
Steel City Scotty's Avatar
Steel City Scotty Steel City Scotty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I assume people are talking about this one:

http://goo.gl/maps/oJqjH
Ah, yes, thanks. That must be it.

I actually did see that on the map, but from an aerial view, it's hard to tell that it's a gas station. It looked more like a group of solar panels or something.
__________________
"I didn't speak English until I came to Pittsburgh" - Mario Lemieux
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3471  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:55 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
None of those other Hotel Indigos look much better to me, and some look not as good.

But the real charm of the project (for me) is in the reused portions. Apologies for the small snips, but from the Kirkwood side:



And from the Whitfield side:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3472  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 9:14 PM
themaguffin themaguffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,312
I think it looks fine. I'm not sure what expectations are.

It would be nice if such critical eyes were over the casino and its garage....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3473  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 9:30 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I think it looks fine. I'm not sure what expectations are.
I should emphasize I don't know if the commission was looking at the same designs as we are looking at here (the project has been redesigned at least once before for financial reasons, although I think that redesign was actually a big improvement aesthetically).

I could also see the Highland side being a little problematic from right at the street level, and so a tweak to address that issue would be fine with me.

Finally, the big sign on the corner isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I could see that being a source of concern as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3474  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:49 PM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
I assume you're referencing the strip-mall that currently features a Trader Joe's? Just to the side of Bakery Square?
I am. I think the Trader Joes is the only good part of that strip mall. The rest of it needs to go IMO. It's all one level that surrounds a surface parking lot. It's the kind of strip mall you'd typically find in some outlying boring auto centric suburb; not in or near the heart of a large and growing business district.
__________________
Transportation planning, building better communities of tomorrow through superior connections between them today...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3475  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:59 PM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
None of those other Hotel Indigos look much better to me, and some look not as good.

But the real charm of the project (for me) is in the reused portions. Apologies for the small snips, but from the Kirkwood side:



And from the Whitfield side:

And I would like to give my 2 cents on this as well.

I think all of those Hotel Indigos is to illustrate that each location is unique from the others. I like this one, especially after you provided the streetscapes for two different streets, to show that this should blend in rather nicely with the surrounding neighborhood, especially since it's going to reuse some existing structures.
__________________
Transportation planning, building better communities of tomorrow through superior connections between them today...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3476  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:37 AM
PEORIA PEORIA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 158


(image from lh6.googleusercontent.com)

" It's GREAT! " City officials and residents would be wise to ' pick and choose ' their battles over design details and other trivialities, when concerning development, OR risk losing private investors and their projects because of an abundance of city regulations. After all, it's not like ANY of these investors can't build these projects in the suburbs with less restrictions. MORE cities are being blessed with, exciting, urban investment. Their communities should embrace them instead of hinder them ...... ' Just sayin! '
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3477  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 1:53 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
I think there is a balance the City's planning officials need to seek. You certainly don't want to make it so hard to do projects that it completely discourages investment. On the other hand, the positive dynamic in the City these days is such that there is a lot of money to be made, and developers will likely go along with reasonable requests for modifications as part of the approval process. And at the end of the day, you want each new project to contribute to making the City a more desirable location for the next round of investments, so some amount of thoughtful planning and standard-setting (again within reason) is well warranted.

In this particular case, it doesn't sound like the developers have a problem with making some design tweaks in order to secure final approval, so provisionally at least, this doesn't seem like the sort of thing that will discourage further investment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3478  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:26 AM
popstar popstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
What are the complaints with the Indigo? I think it looks great. Besides....between the Indigo, the other hotel near the Highland building, and then the Highland development itself right in the main East Liberty corridor, imagine the transformation that will occur within that block from the new energy and foot traffic. To me it seems silly to delay or derail over minor design elements.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3479  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 4:49 AM
mikebarbaro mikebarbaro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuhoops123 View Post
Does anyone know why they're taking the Exxon down by Station Square.. Does this have anything to do with Garden City or am I just getting excited over nothing...
Does anyone also know what is being built down Carson Street a bit further by the automatic car wash? Right now they are erecting steel beams. Looks like possibly a parking garage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3480  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:03 AM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
Does anyone also know what is being built down Carson Street a bit further by the automatic car wash? Right now they are erecting steel beams. Looks like possibly a parking garage.
Not a parking garage. It's some sort of Goodwill-operated transitional housing building, something like that. At least it's being built right to street level!

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"Deeply corrupt but still semi-functional - it's the Chicago way." -- Barrelfish
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.