HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2981  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 11:29 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Not much "warming up" is needed during the summer months. Winter on the other hand........
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2982  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:17 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
The Mighty 5.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2983  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:07 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
The Mighty 5.
I saw that too and I like it. For anyone who doesn't know what Projects is talking about, check out the new campaign for the national parks in Utah: http://www.visitutah.com/parks-monuments/mighty5/
     
     
  #2984  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:33 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
I had recorded a number of top t.v. shows over the last few days. Normally, I would fast forward through any of the commercials, but when I kept seeing familiar scenes of Utah plastered on the screen I had to stop and take a look. I was very impressed.

From the looks of it, a lot of that campaign exposure is going to California. I think Utah's ski campaign was probably the most prolific ad campaign going this past season here in L.A.

Utah $3.1 million tourism push focuses on national parks

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86557...rism-push-focuses-on-national-parks.html


Utah announces a new $3.1 million spring and summer tourism promotion campaign highlighting five national parks in the state. (Utah Office of Tourism

Last edited by delts145; Mar 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
     
     
  #2985  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:42 PM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Space Magi
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,006
Here's a pic of downtown I snapped yesterday from the trails above the U.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70236557@N02/8597067378/in/photostream
     
     
  #2986  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 9:31 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Some great pics, I especially like the Great Salt Lake in the background. Also, the huge amount of development and redevelopment going on at the U. of U. takes my breath away. I mean, USC has added some nice additions here and there over the past few years, but seriously the University of Utah makes USC seem like it's standing still. At least as far as ongoing construction and buildup.
     
     
  #2987  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:34 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I think a big part has to do with them being in the PAC12. A lot of times we only think sports, but there's a lot more to it. The U of U have to update/upgrade just about everything on campus so it puts them on the same level as the other PAC12 school. Nice to see everything happening all at once.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2988  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 11:13 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
True, but I was implying a lot more than just catching up to the PAC 12. I'm at the USC Campus usually more than a couple of times a week. Even strictly from a visual, architectural standpoint, the Univ. of Utah is evolving into a far superior experience. The U. of U. is doing a lot more than just physically catching up with many of these schools, it's pulling way ahead.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
     
     
  #2989  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:19 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I think it has some to do with the U's proximity to downtown Salt Lake City, access to TRAX and its location at the foothills. The U is also a campus that had the opportunity to be placed next to Fort Douglas and has been able to annex its land over the years allowing it to grow. I also think many Utah schools get more donation dollars than some of these other schools around the country.
     
     
  #2990  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:19 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Those are all good points and I agree that they have had a positive impact for the Univ. of Utah. USC is located adj. to Downtown L.A, and many consider it a part of Downtown. It also has Light Rail. Much of the problem with USC in particular is that it slid down hill very rapidly in conjunction with Downtown LA's slide, and flight to the suburbs. It has made up some ground during the past decade, especially within the few blocks immediately surrounding the Campus. However, there's still significant blight and gang violence running for miles a couple of blocks south of Campus, also large swaths of the city to the West. Much of the area between USC and Orange County resembles a third world country these days.
     
     
  #2991  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:55 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Sorry to interrupt development conversation but I am going to jump in and do some quick self promotion.

I want to thank those of you from the forum, of which there have already been several that have chosen to like my run for City Council facebook page. For those of you that missed the earlier post I am considering a run for SLC City Council in District 5 this fall and while many or most of you don't live in the District I would still like to have your support. I have had a great response in the week the page has been up, and look forward to getting more supporters, and sharing my vision for Salt Lake City.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deans-for-District-5/525919067446995

Ok, back to development stuff.
     
     
  #2992  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:07 PM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Those are all good points and I agree that they have had a positive impact for the Univ. of Utah. USC is located adj. to Downtown L.A, and many consider it a part of Downtown. It also has Light Rail. Much of the problem with USC in particular is that it slid down hill very rapidly in conjunction with Downtown LA's slide, and flight to the suburbs. It has made up some ground during the past decade, especially within the few blocks immediately surrounding the Campus. However, there's still significant blight and gang violence running for miles a couple of blocks south of Campus.
I never understood why USC developed there campus literally in gangland west Adams/south central they should have done exactly what ucla did when they moved away to Westwood from what is now the lacc campus. Unlike the University of Utah, USC has there school of medicine About 10 miles away from there campus. Also the light rail did not come online until last year. I would say that yes the U is way ahead of USC and even at the same level or surpassing ucla when it comes to development.
     
     
  #2993  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:20 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
I never understood why USC developed there campus literally in gangland west Adams/south central they should have done exactly what ucla did when they moved away to Westwood from what is now the lacc campus. Unlike the University of Utah, USC has there school of medicine About 10 miles away from there campus. Also the light rail did not come online until last year. I would say that yes the U is way ahead of USC and even at the same level or surpassing ucla when it comes to development.
Well I doubt they had a lot of gang problems back in the 1920s when the campus was originally established.

The entire campus was starting to establish itself long before gangs were even a problem in L.A. (the 1970s), so, it would make little sense to abandon the campus when the gang epidemic hit considering so much had been invested in it.

Anyway, I think the problem is overstated. I've been to the USC campus twice - once in '04 for the USC-Notre Dame game and then again in '11 for the Utah-USC game and not once was it anywhere as bad as I was led to believe. I really thought, from listening to people on the interwebs, that I would be walking into a semi-warzone. I never once felt my life was at risk. Of course, I'm sure if I ventured deeper into the neighborhood I would have put myself at bigger risk - but that risk is way overstated.

USC is also just one of many universities in the Los Angeles area. The U is the most prominent research institution in the state of Utah - with USU a distant second. There is little competition, even with BYU 40 miles to the south, and I think that plays a huge role.
     
     
  #2994  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 11:55 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Seems like just about all of Los Angeles is "Gangland" I would even go as far as say that LA is way overrated in terms of a great place to live. Sure it's great if your rich, but for most of us middle class people the only areas we can really afford are the ghettos vs living in a upper middle class area here in SLC with that same money. In other words Salt Lake is a much better place to live.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2995  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 6:04 AM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Anyway, I think the problem is overstated. I've been to the USC campus twice - once in '04 for the USC-Notre Dame game and then again in '11 for the Utah-USC game and not once was it anywhere as bad as I was led to believe. I really thought, from listening to people on the interwebs, that I would be walking into a semi-warzone. I never once felt my life was at risk. Of course, I'm sure if I ventured deeper into the neighborhood I would have put myself at bigger risk - but that risk is way overstated
nope I was born and raised in the west Adams district and I can tell you first hand that it is not overstated. Of course the area is a lot safer especially during games. I do have to agree that there is a lot more universities in the L.A area cals,uc and usc among others. I just love showing off our campus and brag when I have friends from back home especially now that were in the pac12.

Last edited by gusam26; Mar 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
     
     
  #2996  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 11:50 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
First, The West Adams/USC area was once (pre-1950's)one of LA's most desirable areas.

Because of work I've had to spend a considerable amount of time on different campuses throughout L.A. With the exception of UCLA, most are not physically speaking a favorable comparison to the U. of U., UVU or BYU. Most of this has to do with the current state of upkeep, but also in most cases the development planning has not been updated in many decades.

I also lived in the West Adams area (Gramarcy Park) for several years, back between 99 and 03. Also, for a short time, while waiting for my current place to open up, I lived just a block West of USC. Also, I power walk through W. Adams regularly during the day. Even during the day, I come across situations that I notice I should quickly move on through. Actually, as problematic as W. Adams can be, and definitely a place to avoid in the evenings, it is also filled with some of L.A.'s most Historic and beautiful housing. Really, it's a checkerboard of ghetto blight vs. hidden islands of restored beauty and neighborhood pride. In West Adams, the charm and beauty of many of it's early 1900's housing is too tempting to avoid. Many young professionals of all ethnicities, seeing the comparative affordability of these homes, will 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 them up and restore them. I often see architectural examples that I would love to build in Utah for myself someday, or to see replicated in Salt Lake's neighborhoods.

However, the Angeleno definition of 'The Raza' is very much alive and well in various sections of W. Adams. Quite frankly, large areas of Central Los Angeles have The Raza militant mentality. For those who don't know and in simplistic terms, 'La Raza' refers to conquering the United States by populating it.

There are streets and insular neighborhoods where I would consider purchasing a home. That is, if after considerable research and the go ahead from police officer friends. In most of the vast area of Central L.A., East of Western and South of Wilshire, you would want to do a lot of checking first. No, it's by no means the streets of inner Detroit, and many neighborhoods have been taken back by young, upwardly mobil professionals of all ethnicities. But, there are many neighborhoods to avoid.

But again, there are VAST areas, even the majority of areas to the south of USC that reach into Orange County and the greater Long Beach area, that are by no stretch of the imagination desirable. Nothing that has been said would be even close to an overstatement. Given the condition of the California economy and where it seems to be heading, the gap is only getting much larger between South L.A. and West L.A.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
     
     
  #2997  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:53 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
The thing is, the murder rate in L.A. is not near the level it was when the gang epidemic swamped the U.S. in the 1980s and 90s.

In fact, the homicide rate in American cities has continually, on average, dropped over the last twenty-years - something that was thought impossible coming out of the 70s and 80s - the height of violent crime in America.

So, I think we need to concede that while there are sketchy, and scary areas, in most American cities - on the whole, they're not the terrifying place they once were, even with the economy as questionable as it is today. Generally, during major economic recessions, violent crime, and homicide, spike considerably, but that just hasn't been the case in most cities - L.A. included.

It's why I never understood the idea of glamorizing the 80s. It was a crime infested, nasty decade in a great deal of this country. I'm glad I missed it, so, maybe that's why I don't look back fondly on it (I'm a 90s kid) - but I just laugh when people say the 80s rocked. From everything I've seen, no they didn't. Even in SLC, our worst decade for violent crime and homicide came in the 80s and very early 90s.
     
     
  #2998  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 10:17 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Sellout crowd at the Rockies-Mariners baseball game today. Seattle won 4-3.

     
     
  #2999  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 4:20 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
One of these days, we'll actualy have development to talk about. Is it just me, or does it seem like there's not a lot of development in downtown at all?
     
     
  #3000  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 5:51 AM
Just A Thought Just A Thought is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
One of these days, we'll actualy have development to talk about. Is it just me, or does it seem like there's not a lot of development in downtown at all?
My feeling is that the D-1 zoning in downtown is unlikely to get much more development as whats left currently undeveloped is mostly owned by about 4 parties. And it would seem that they have come to some sort of agreement that its somehow more profitable to leave the land as is.

Its the curse of the convention center. West Temple, 200 S, 300 S, 200 W and 300 W all are in dire need of development in the D-1 area. I agree there are pockets that are nice, but its mostly parking lots and blight.

I suspect few people quite trust that these areas will ever be developed, so they won't invest themselves. Chicken and the egg I guess.

The other elephant in the room, is that many small business DO actively search for suitable downtown locations for retail/coffee etc. but there is nothing there. There are very few retail outlets suitable for small boutique stores that aren't in either of the malls.

I've said this before but there are a total of 11 retail/restaurant outlets on 300 south between main and 300 W. That roughly half a mile, (a mile if you count both sides of the street) right in the center of SLC! And 200 South is no better.

Very few walking destinations between Main/CC and Gateway. thats a problem if you want to create a so called 'walking downtown'.

And this, in my very humble opinion, is why downtown will never be what it could be.

Blight, weeds and parking lots are there to stay, until the city imposes punitive taxes on weeds and tarmac. (which it never will of course.. see first paragraph)

Sometimes it seems as if downtown Salt Lake is a developmental mobious strip.

Just my 2 cents.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.