HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


View Poll Results: Based on options for Broadway Corridor Study, what is your preferred choice?
BRT: Commercial to UBC 25 6.16%
LRT A: Commercial to UBC OR Commercial via VCC to UBC 31 7.64%
LRT B: Main St. to UBC AND Commercial to UBC 18 4.43%
RRT: Commercial to UBC OR VCC to UBC 283 69.70%
COMBO: RRT to Arbutus/LRT to Main St via Arbutus 39 9.61%
BUS: Enhanced Bus Service for all buses to UBC 10 2.46%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5441  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:41 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Story in the Surrey Leader by Jeff Nagel:

http://www.surreyleader.com/news/198875451.html

Quote:
TransLink won't add a temporary property tax increase of $23 per average home that had previously been approved and was to remain in place for this year and next year.

Area mayors had okayed the time-limited tax hike in 2011 as a backup measure in case new funding sources from the province didn't materialize, although they fully expected Victoria would deliver.

When that didn't happen, mayors last year indicated by a non-binding vote they wanted to scrap the tax hike, which would have generated an extra $60 million in property tax over 2013 and 2014.
http://www.surreyleader.com/news/198875451.html
     
     
  #5442  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:52 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
They are not. I think they made it explicitly clear on whatever they signed back then...
They would have been pretty foolish to commit to a permanent tax before the province had showed its hand. Perhaps you would negotiate that way, but I certainly wouldn't. They offered a carrot to get the province to the table. The province didn't show, so the carrot was withdrawn. Seems pretty clear to me.
     
     
  #5443  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 1:58 AM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Seems Edmonton is getting funding for their next LRT line. 1.8 Billion for a 13.2km low floor LRT line expected to get 28,000 boardings on opening. How can something with economics like this get funded while Broadway does not? I am not really critical of the Edmonton project per say, it is just the Broadway line provides a much much greater economic justification (any of the final 3 options) and we still are not building it.
Simple.

City of Edmonton (approved by the Mayor and Councillors) is paying for its own rail transit system expansion, and doesn't have to deal with nearby municipalities b!tching "where's MY new train lines?!??"

That can't work here because every city here wants THEIR OWN Skytrain expansion without having to pay for expansion in other cities too.


Oh, and it helped that Alberta had an election last year, so the provincial gov't was happy to throw around some oil-revenue money to help get re-elected. It almost didn't work out for them, and now that oil & gas royalty revenues are below expectations, there won't be much funding for more infrastructure in the next few years.
     
     
  #5444  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:34 AM
Track Track is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 66
I wish that individual cities would realize that a Skytrain expansion - any Skytrain expansion - is good for the region as a whole. I don't live near where the Broadway Skytrain would go, nor do I have any particular reason to transit there, but I completely support the project because it makes sense and would provide a net benefit for Metro Vancouver. Just like I support the Evergreen Line even though I probably won't use it very often.
     
     
  #5445  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:02 AM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Oh, and it helped that Alberta had an election last year, so the provincial gov't was happy to throw around some oil-revenue money to help get re-elected.
...and of course that's exactly why the Broadway extension has bubbled up to the surface at this particular time. It's an ideal opportunity to try to get some political commitment at the provincial level as we head into an election. I have a feeling we'll have to wait until the next election cycle, though...
     
     
  #5446  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:25 PM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,128
The issue is not the cities in the region. The problem is the Provincial government and its inability to actually govern. The Liberals under Christy Clark have been in power for how long now? And what have they actually accomplished besides making headline news stories about scandal after scandal. They have barely sat in the legislature and now Christy Clark is avoiding the media entirely.

We have a province that has no government and hasn't for well over a year now so everything has halted. The cities are quite frankly pissed off at the lack of leadership when it comes to transit funding. They control Translink, they control the purse strings, so at the end of the day the buck stops with the Province.

Citizens in every city are just getting to the end of their rope with tax after tax after tax after tax for services we don't really see anymore. Here's another property tax... oh here is another gas tax... oh here more carbon tax... oh wait more services taxes... oh wait let's up the property tax again... oh and here is a new fee... oh and sorry we need to increase the carbon tax... oh hey sorry new tax here... oh woops we need to increase another tax...

It just goes on and on. There comes a point in time when the Province needs to just govern and say "Ok look, pipelines are going in, we're building the new coal port, sure we'll cover the cars for the local environment that's good, and we're going to completely restructure our services and streamline things. There we have some revenues now LIKE ALBERTA and can start building expanded services."

We're a penny pinching Province unfortunately and you don't make money by saving money. Rule #1 in 101 economics/finance.
     
     
  #5447  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:53 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
BC provincial governments (and federal governments) have (regardless of party) have been good to expansion of SkyTrain. We've had consistent growth of the system over only 28 years since it opened in 1985.

The current priority is the Evergreen Line.

Both the Broadway / UBC Line and any Surrey extensions are still well in the future.

It's the operating costs that create the revenue problems - and it all stems from the fact that overall (not just SkyTrain; not just a cherry-picked line) - transit systems in North America lose money. They need constant subsidy.
That's why private transit services all went bankrupt earlier this century.

Both government and the public need to view it as a public service - not as a "business".
People don't expect the health care system or social services system to break even do they?
     
     
  #5448  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:41 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It's the operating costs that create the revenue problems - and it all stems from the fact that overall (not just SkyTrain; not just a cherry-picked line) - transit systems in North America lose money. They need constant subsidy.
That's why private transit services all went bankrupt earlier this century.

Both government and the public need to view it as a public service - not as a "business".
People don't expect the health care system or social services system to break even do they?
I thought all Skytrain lines had an operating profit? Albeit very small, and not something that could pay off the capital investment required.
     
     
  #5449  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:45 PM
st7860 st7860 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,299
What a lot of people don't know that the existing 97Bline from Lougheed station or the(i think its the 168 or 169) from Braid station, do not run anywhere close to maximum capacity(5 to to to 15 to 30 minute intervals). The 99b line route(every 2 minutes) on the other hand., just can't fit any more buses during rush ours.

Its that kind of thing that confuses me why the Evergreen line has to come first.
     
     
  #5450  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:49 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,106
TransLink now does have enough money to cover current operation (ie. no expansion and other major capital project). But the problem is that government expect them to pay for part or all of capital project, and the public expect them to operate new service without providing any new funding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I thought all Skytrain lines had an operating profit? Albeit very small, and not something that could pay off the capital investment required.
Expo and Millennium line made around 10% profit. Canada Line recovers only about 50-60% of operating cost (that includes contribution to P3). Evergreen Line is expected to break even by 2018.

So overall, within the next 30 years, the SkyTrain system would probably not be making any money due to that P3 contract...
     
     
  #5451  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:57 PM
Rico Rico is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I thought all Skytrain lines had an operating profit? Albeit very small, and not something that could pay off the capital investment required.
I believe he was refering to the transit system as a whole. Skytrain would not make an operational profit if there were no feeder bus lines going to it and as a whole those bus lines cost more than the operational profit from Skytrain. I believe there are also some bus lines in Vancouver that make an operational profit, but if you just ran the 'profitable' lines they would stop making a profit because not enough people could get to them or use them to connect with where they are currently going. Transit is subsidized, we get benefits from that subsidy. Lets move forward and improve the service. That said it is good for us to strive to make capital investments that will make an operational profit because despite how hard it seems to be to raise money for capital costs it is a whole lot more damaging to the system if we can't pay our operational costs.
     
     
  #5452  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:58 PM
Gordon Gordon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,065
I thought that 110,000 riders\day number signified the break even point operationally, so at around 136,000 \day Canada Line should be quite profitable.
     
     
  #5453  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:03 PM
Rico Rico is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
TransLink now does have enough money to cover current operation (ie. no expansion and other major capital project). But the problem is that government expect them to pay for part or all of capital project, and the public expect them to operate new service without providing any new funding....



Expo and Millennium line made around 10% profit. Canada Line recovers only about 50-60% of operating cost (that includes contribution to P3). Evergreen Line is expected to break even by 2018.

So overall, within the next 30 years, the SkyTrain system would probably not be making any money due to that P3 contract...
I believe Translink is currently front end loading their P3 debt repayments as much as possible since they can borrow at a lower cost than the P3 agreement. So while I do not know how fast they are drawing down the P3 debt I understand it is well above the original agreement (so the accelerated payments should end well before 30years).
     
     
  #5454  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:11 PM
Rico Rico is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I thought that 110,000 riders\day number signified the break even point operationally, so at around 136,000 \day Canada Line should be quite profitable.
I believe the 110,000 number to break even included the savings from reduced bus use on the route (ie if the bus services that formerly served the Canada line route collectively lost $20,000/day that is factored into the 'break even' point). Also as I noted above I believe Translink has accelerated its P3 debt repayment to the P3 operator because it is being charged a higher rate than it can get itself (like paying off that high interest credit card debt before your home morgage).
     
     
  #5455  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:13 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I thought that 110,000 riders\day number signified the break even point operationally, so at around 136,000 \day Canada Line should be quite profitable.
Break-even means "it does not require more operating subsidy than running the 98 and other express bus lines", rather than "it makes an operating profit".

For instance, the Canada Line may have the following operating condition (I estimated/made-up the following numbers, btw):

Operating payment: -105M
Fare revenue: +50M
Add-fare revenue: +15M
Provincial contribution: +20M
Saving from 98 B-Line: +10M
Saving from shortened/cancelled routes: +15M

So its more than "break even" as the above number adds up to a positive value, but its far from making a profit. Canada Line cost more to operate then Expo+Millennium line, where there is more than 270,000 boardings/day. So for Canada Line to actually making money (not "break-even") with current contract, you need at least 200,000 boardings/day?
     
     
  #5456  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:41 PM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
BC provincial governments (and federal governments) have (regardless of party) have been good to expansion of SkyTrain. We've had consistent growth of the system over only 28 years since it opened in 1985.

The current priority is the Evergreen Line.

Both the Broadway / UBC Line and any Surrey extensions are still well in the future.

It's the operating costs that create the revenue problems - and it all stems from the fact that overall (not just SkyTrain; not just a cherry-picked line) - transit systems in North America lose money. They need constant subsidy.
That's why private transit services all went bankrupt earlier this century.

Both government and the public need to view it as a public service - not as a "business".
People don't expect the health care system or social services system to break even do they?
That has nothing to do with it. Firstly Tokyo and Osaka have major transit systems light years beyond the scale of ours that turn a profit, upwards of 30% so it isn't impossible though they make most of their profit (or make up the losses) via real estate which has nothing to do with the transit portion. But that's beside the point.

The point is that the funding model is the problem. I've been saying it forever now it seems. We need to subsidize it's that simple because nobody in North America knows how to run a transit system near break even. The funding problem though is that Translink (and the Province) uses revenues that are unsustainable.

A large almost 50% chunk of money used to pay for Transit expenses comes from car related revenues like the gas and parking tax. So you have a system encouraging people not to drive but when more people start taking transit or avoiding the taxes, the revenue drops and you lose a big chunk of money.

That's the issue. And that's why we were in the situation where the Mayor's had to talk about a temporary property tax to meet funding shortfall. Because a huge chunk of future revenue was assuming a certain level of money coming from gas tax and when the actual number came in, because of how many people now gas up in Abbotsford or the US, the number was WAY lower and they went "Holy — uh oh!"

So that's the issue. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that we will need to subsidize transit. I think people are just a little ticked off that they can't figure out a SMART way to fund transit.

It's kind of like saying we'll fund the ministry of environment from the revenue generate by the oil, gas, and mining sectors. The ministry is constantly trying to limit and reduce oil, gas, and mining and if they do meeting their target mandate, they ultimately would shoot themselves in the foot funding wise. We get that with transit.

They are mandated to get more cars off the road but for every car they take off the road they lose a huge amount of revenue and more demand and less money. It is completely bass ackwards and is the Province's fault.

Ultimately I have no issue as a Surrey resident who last went to UBC 15 years ago and go along the Broadway corridor maybe 4 times a year, paying my part to fund transit in that area. I have no issue paying it once though. I don't want to pay it 5 times to a transit user's 1 time. Equal funding source is my book. I actually think property tax or a sales tax is the ultimate answer, but I just know right now as a car driver I feel sucked dry every which way. Not to mention so many more people are calling for increased taxation to car drivers just for our own infrastructure.

So transit user pays transit fair. Ok that goes towards Transit.
Car user (me) pays gas, registration, and parking taxes. That goes to Transit.
Now people want Car user (me) to also pay more tolls and possible road usage taxes. That goes to my own infrastructure.

The guise is that I shouldn't drive my car and should take transit. So I say fine I won't drive my car and I park it and jump on transit. Now what am I contributing? A hell of a lot less and Transit loses more money because there is 1 less car on the road. See the problem? Unsustainable and from my perspective as a car user, I think "why do I have to pay for everything!"

Last edited by GMasterAres; Mar 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM.
     
     
  #5457  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:05 PM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,128
And to add to the above, I don't agree with the Mayor's either on their argument against property tax usage. They constantly say "The little guy doesn't want to pay more in property tax! More money!" The fact is we pay it anyway. If I don't pay for transit in my property tax, I'll pay some other tax, toll, fee, levy, at the end of the day.

I would personally rather pay 1 source for everything and be done with it. I'd much rather that be a sales tax or a property tax and then they can get rid of all the other little piddly taxes and levies.

I have no issue with my yearly property tax going up $150 a year if the transit gas tax, parking tax, and other fees/levies that subsidize transit go away.

Then it would make sense to me. Then I would be paying a certain portion and contributing to our transit, and ultimately a transit user would be paying MORE which makes sense because they use the service. They pay the same "base" as me a non-transit user, then pay for use in buying passes.

Makes absolute sense and now I feel better. Those that use should pay. Same in the reverse. If I'm paying a fuel tax to drive my car, 100% of that tax should go towards road infrastructure. Nothing should go to transit. I mean think about it. Even busses pay the fuel tax and they should, they use the roads I do. And we need to in many spots build extra infrastructure for them (HOV/Bus Only lanes) so they should absolutely contribute in some way towards our road infrastructure.

Also if I want to cross a new bridge, I have no issue paying a toll as long as that toll goes 100% towards that piece of infrastructure. It makes sense. We need to break the funding link between road infrastructure and transit infrastructure. We need a government with balls to do that. And I think that starts with the fact Translink should have nothing to do with roads. They should focus on transit. And we should have another agency or the Province itself (MoT) deal with roads. This sharing is what has caused the issue and is what has caused Translink and the Province to be able to be unaccountable.

Last edited by GMasterAres; Mar 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM.
     
     
  #5458  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:19 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Firstly Tokyo and Osaka have major transit systems light years beyond the scale of ours that turn a profit, upwards of 30% so it isn't impossible though they make most of their profit (or make up the losses) via real estate which has nothing to do with the transit portion. But that's beside the point.
That's why I said "in North America" - i.e. lower population density, more car usage.

WRT sources of revenue (other than the farebox) - that's all politics....
     
     
  #5459  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:32 PM
easy as pie's Avatar
easy as pie easy as pie is offline
testify
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 94109
Posts: 853
wow, if it's true that translink has exercised an option to accelerate debt servicing on the canada line, it might actually be sort of a reckless option. even if the contributions are increased from $25 million to $35 million per annum (potentially closing the debt down by ~2030), there's an argument that this is coming at the expense of a system badly in need of critical upgrades in the present.

at any rate, it would be nice to see the government and city get a lot more creative with the financing next time. crafting legislation at the provincial-level creating value capture mechanisms along proposed routes, for instance, significant upzoning with fees cycled back into debt service, which would put the project on surer footing AND force a better urbanism along the corridor in line with expanded rail capacity. someone mentioned japan, that'd be something like what you see in japan.
     
     
  #5460  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
BCPhil BCPhil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Firstly Tokyo and Osaka have major transit systems light years beyond the scale of ours that turn a profit, upwards of 30% so it isn't impossible though they make most of their profit (or make up the losses) via real estate which has nothing to do with the transit portion. But that's beside the point.

The point is that the funding model is the problem. I've been saying it forever now it seems. We need to subsidize it's that simple because nobody in North America knows how to run a transit system near break even. The funding problem though is that Translink (and the Province) uses revenues that are unsustainable.

A large almost 50% chunk of money used to pay for Transit expenses comes from car related revenues like the gas and parking tax. So you have a system encouraging people not to drive but when more people start taking transit or avoiding the taxes, the revenue drops and you lose a big chunk of money.

That's the issue. And that's why we were in the situation where the Mayor's had to talk about a temporary property tax to meet funding shortfall. Because a huge chunk of future revenue was assuming a certain level of money coming from gas tax and when the actual number came in, because of how many people now gas up in Abbotsford or the US, the number was WAY lower and they went "Holy — uh oh!"

So that's the issue. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that we will need to subsidize transit. I think people are just a little ticked off that they can't figure out a SMART way to fund transit.

It's kind of like saying we'll fund the ministry of environment from the revenue generate by the oil, gas, and mining sectors. The ministry is constantly trying to limit and reduce oil, gas, and mining and if they do meeting their target mandate, they ultimately would shoot themselves in the foot funding wise. We get that with transit.

They are mandated to get more cars off the road but for every car they take off the road they lose a huge amount of revenue and more demand and less money. It is completely bass ackwards and is the Province's fault.

Ultimately I have no issue as a Surrey resident who last went to UBC 15 years ago and go along the Broadway corridor maybe 4 times a year, paying my part to fund transit in that area. I have no issue paying it once though. I don't want to pay it 5 times to a transit user's 1 time. Equal funding source is my book. I actually think property tax or a sales tax is the ultimate answer, but I just know right now as a car driver I feel sucked dry every which way. Not to mention so many more people are calling for increased taxation to car drivers just for our own infrastructure.

So transit user pays transit fair. Ok that goes towards Transit.
Car user (me) pays gas, registration, and parking taxes. That goes to Transit.
Now people want Car user (me) to also pay more tolls and possible road usage taxes. That goes to my own infrastructure.

The guise is that I shouldn't drive my car and should take transit. So I say fine I won't drive my car and I park it and jump on transit. Now what am I contributing? A hell of a lot less and Transit loses more money because there is 1 less car on the road. See the problem? Unsustainable and from my perspective as a car user, I think "why do I have to pay for everything!"
That's why property taxes are the best solution. The income from property, not only stays constant no mater what service people use, but actually increases over time. It will at the very least increase in pace with inflation which should keep services levels constant. And at the best of times, it will increase faster than inflation, as increases in property values usually reflect the improvement in infrastructure and the economy.

It is also a progressive tax. People who pay less in tax are people with lower cheaper assets. Yes, the average increase might be something like $40, but that is for the average home. Most poor people own a much cheaper home than the average price, thus would pay way less than that in increased property taxes.

Most people think they are at least average, if not better but really aren't. Therefore they think they are going to pay MORE than the average increase. I wish the media would really report the property tax how it is structured, by the $100,000 of assesed value. Then everyone in the region (especially SOF) would know, oh, my place is worth $300,000, so I only pay like $15 of increases.

Consumption taxes are regressive. They harm the lower classes far more than the upper classes, thus they should only be used to actually control the consumption, not to pay for regular services. An $85 car levy is a flat increase the exact same on every one. It doesn't matter if your car is worth $250,000 (more than my home), we all pay the same increase. I don't see how any of the mayors think that is fair for their poorer constituents at all, especially low income families that live far from transit with multiple cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
And to add to the above, I don't agree with the Mayor's either on their argument against property tax usage. They constantly say "The little guy doesn't want to pay more in property tax! More money!" The fact is we pay it anyway. If I don't pay for transit in my property tax, I'll pay some other tax, toll, fee, levy, at the end of the day.

I would personally rather pay 1 source for everything and be done with it. I'd much rather that be a sales tax or a property tax and then they can get rid of all the other little piddly taxes and levies.

I have no issue with my yearly property tax going up $150 a year if the transit gas tax, parking tax, and other fees/levies that subsidize transit go away.

Then it would make sense to me. Then I would be paying a certain portion and contributing to our transit, and ultimately a transit user would be paying MORE which makes sense because they use the service. They pay the same "base" as me a non-transit user, then pay for use in buying passes.

Makes absolute sense and now I feel better. Those that use should pay. Same in the reverse. If I'm paying a fuel tax to drive my car, 100% of that tax should go towards road infrastructure. Nothing should go to transit. I mean think about it. Even busses pay the fuel tax and they should, they use the roads I do. And we need to in many spots build extra infrastructure for them (HOV/Bus Only lanes) so they should absolutely contribute in some way towards our road infrastructure.

Also if I want to cross a new bridge, I have no issue paying a toll as long as that toll goes 100% towards that piece of infrastructure. It makes sense. We need to break the funding link between road infrastructure and transit infrastructure. We need a government with balls to do that. And I think that starts with the fact Translink should have nothing to do with roads. They should focus on transit. And we should have another agency or the Province itself (MoT) deal with roads. This sharing is what has caused the issue and is what has caused Translink and the Province to be able to be unaccountable.
I actually think it is good that Tranlink overseas major roads and transit. I think they actually don't have enough say in the road network actually. That gives Translink a singular motive: to move people and goods around the region in the most effective way possible.

If you take Regional roads away from Translink, then what do you do, give them back to cities? Then you have cities like Delta and New Westminster acting against the good of the region, cutting back road capacity to suit their own self serving interests, meanwhile causing gridlock everywhere. You have a city like Vancouver against any kind of road upgrade, and even thinking of removing major amounts of capacity, solely based on their moral objective without thinking of how it will (and does) impact the region.

And what about improving bus capacity? With translink responsible for the roads, they can properly study the situations and improve bus stops, or and bus lanes where needed and even add bus signal priority at intersections. They should be responsible for more roads.

Then they can use the gas tax explicitly for the roads. As people switch from driving to transit (as the transit infrastructure increase over time reaching more and more people) making the gas tax revenues go down, naturally road infrastructure does not need to be as extensive (and is less used so needs less maintenance and less expansion).

Meanwhile, increased property taxes, taxes that go up with increased land value, value that goes up with expansion of transit services (typically places closer to rapid transit are more valuable than places further away), that money goes to paying for increasing operating costs.

But I do think that the province and federal governments should pay for large pieces of infrastructure. They do take a huge portion of taxes collected, they should be expected to pay for stuff.

We don't don't need large infrastructure very frequently. The temporary increases and large fluctuation that causes in annual budgets just can't be sustained by local resources (unless the province and feds took less from us in the first place). Meanwhile, larger governments have more places to spend money on an annual basis. This year they might be building Evergreen and Gateway, but over the years they have improved highways all over the province, built hospitals, and improved schools.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.