HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4141  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:04 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
the urban chaos of the west downtown.


by abdallahh on flickr
     
     
  #4142  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:14 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Hmm. Needs more blue.
     
     
  #4143  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:15 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
video et taceo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 14,345
johannesburg in quebec.
     
     
  #4144  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:19 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
More like Hamilton, Quebec.
     
     
  #4145  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:21 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Hamilton doesn't have that many tall concrete commie blocks. Most of them are dark brown or white. It's def more like Johannesburg.
     
     
  #4146  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:22 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
I see a big red sign in English. How is that permitted? Historical designation?
     
     
  #4147  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:27 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,798
Does that make Longueil Burlington Quebec?
     
     
  #4148  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:33 PM
vanatox vanatox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I see a big red sign in English. How is that permitted? Historical designation?
Farine is an English word? I don't think so. And by the way, this is a skyline thread. That would be nice to stay on topic.
     
     
  #4149  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:36 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Awesome shot. Keep the T.O. shots coming.
     
     
  #4150  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:36 PM
Vaillant Vaillant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I see a big red sign in English. How is that permitted? Historical designation?
it is authorized because it got the mention Farine
     
     
  #4151  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:46 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
Farine is an English word? I don't think so. And by the way, this is a skyline thread. That would be nice to stay on topic.
No, but "Five Roses" is.

And by the way, I think I'll decide how far this thread gets to stray off topic.
     
     
  #4152  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:48 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
That huge neon Five Roses sign is a Montreal icon. So much so, that the company who bought the building, a competitor floor maker, agreed to keep the sign and even restored it, even though it promotes the product of a competitor. Now, that's what I call heritage preservation no matter what.
     
     
  #4153  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:50 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
No, but "Five Roses" is.

And by the way, I think I'll decide how far this thread gets to stray off topic.
Five Roses is a trademark company name, so it's perfectly legal under bil 101.
     
     
  #4154  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:52 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
That huge neon Five Roses sign is a Montreal icon. So much so, that the company who bought the building, a competitor floor maker, agreed to keep the sign and even restored it, even though it promotes the product of a competitor. Now, that's what I call heritage preservation no matter what.
Thanks! It kind of reminds me of the Essex House sign across from Central Park or the Royal York Hotel sign in Toronto. I love little historical touches like that. Instantly improves any skyline.
     
     
  #4155  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:55 PM
vanatox vanatox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 763
Deleted. Martin Mtl already replied.
     
     
  #4156  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:56 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
It used to say FIVE ROSES FLOUR.

Then they had to change it to FARINE FIVE ROSES FLOUR

Then they changed it again to FARINE FIVE ROSES


Quote:
That huge neon Five Roses sign is a Montreal icon. So much so, that the company who bought the building, a competitor floor maker, agreed to keep the sign and even restored it, even though it promotes the product of a competitor. Now, that's what I call heritage preservation no matter what.
I love that damn sign, I always have, since I was a wee little boy.
That is awesome.

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Mar 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
     
     
  #4157  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:27 PM
Lenin's Avatar
Lenin Lenin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 334
Nifty shots! It's nice to see Trump from a side angle; the building looks more appealing to me from that vantage point.
     
     
  #4158  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:00 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
I would love to see that exact same photo of toronto, only 10 years ago. What a transformation!
     
     
  #4159  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:13 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
It used to say FIVE ROSES FLOWER.

Then they had to change it to FARINE FIVE ROSES FLOWER

Then they changed it again to FARINE FIVE ROSES




I love that damn sign, I always have, since I was a wee little boy.
That is awesome.
Flower? Or Flour?
     
     
  #4160  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:15 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Ha. Thank you for pointing that out.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:23 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.