Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet
Agree about the real trees. Winnipeg has a huge problem wit losing tress not only due to people, but the Dutch Elm disease. This years budget was doubled by the city to help plant more tress and take care of the ones we have. They're trying to replace the old elms with some type of hybrid ash tree? I believe. That is more resistant to disease.
|
The City still hasn't taken care of the trees they have on Main between McDermot and Bannatyne... They have, for some strage reason, those plastic cord trimmer protection tubes around them.
They have far out grown the casing they have -- the trees are starting to grow over them.
I have been close to pulling them off myself when I walk by, but am a bit worried about how wierd that would look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
I understand your point and I generally agree, but at the same time you probably don't want to be too cavalier about this issue either.
For the longest time Winnipeg managed to avoid the growth of suburban office parks, but they have been quietly taking off over the past few years and parking is one of the drivers behind that. When employees and clients constantly complain about what a hassle it is to park downtown, it becomes tempting for a business to decamp for Tuxedo Business Park or wherever, where there is an ample supply of asphalt on which to leave cars at no additional cost. There is a certain parking equilbrium that has to be met to keep from driving businesses out to the suburbs.
|
I don't want to write a huge story, as this is a construction thread, but with the implimentation of higher greenfield development/permit fees and a change from frontage levy to land-area levy the City should be able to curb this.
This might also help with sprawling curvilinear subdivisions like Lindenwoods where a home sits on a property with land area 12000 sq. ft. and fronts less than 70 ft.