HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4101  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:29 PM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Not bashing Montreal, but what is with all of the fugly towers? And why do they build so skinny? '
What is with that 1000 de La Gauchetière? Man, that thing is totally out of proportion.
It should have been 20 stories taller. It looks so stubby.

Time for something a little less bland and traditional Montreal.

Just my opinion!
Funny you say that.. le 1000 is a beautiful tower! I think PVM looks more stubby than anything else!... now PVM should have been 250m tall... would have looked nice.... this photo isn't really clear... It really far away... ill try to find something closer so you can see better.
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.6 Million
     
     
  #4102  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:42 PM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,496
these are probably one of my favorite shots of Montreal!







http://www.flickr.com/photos/djipibi/
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.6 Million
     
     
  #4103  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 7:10 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Wow the area around the stadium is going to be so dense by 2017. Montreal will finally have a compact central core area(even though it will be on the west end of the primary skyline )! Including its official tallest office building(Le 1250) and tallest residential(L'Avenue)!
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #4104  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 7:21 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
That last picture is insane. You can see almost every major project that are starting to rise on and around Rene-Levesque. Seriously, somebody should photoshop them in somehow. We got 12 towers from 120-175m. Should look pretty rad.
     
     
  #4105  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:04 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
I can see just fine and it is a stubby strange tower where the top outweighs the bottom. it dominates in a bad way. The should build something in front of it to block it.

When are they going to start to fill the parking lots on the river side of dwontown? So much potential there with so much empty space. Some of the buildings are a little too corporate as well and dont have much of an interface or pedestrian scale. They need to work on that.

No offense, and this is not bashing Montreal in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
Funny you say that.. le 1000 is a beautiful tower! I think PVM looks more stubby than anything else!... now PVM should have been 250m tall... would have looked nice.... this photo isn't really clear... It really far away... ill try to find something closer so you can see better.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #4106  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:09 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
The river side of downtown? I live in Montréal and I have no idea where that would be.
     
     
  #4107  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:23 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #4108  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:27 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
He's a beast!
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #4109  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:29 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #4110  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:00 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,074
I usually mind my own business but... kw5150, enough already!! Every single time a person dares emit a lukewarm opinion about a specific characteristic of the Calgary skyline, you go out of your way to be overly negative about the city the said person is from. Everybody here agrees that Calgary has a very impressive skyline that punches way above its weight and that the heights its office towers are quite impressive. I will even admit that I'm envious of some of Calgary's attributes. However, if someone isn't as thrilled with The Bow as you are, do not take it so personnally!!!

I like my city very much but I can say without hesitation that some of the towers are in dire need of a reclad or that I'd wish it wasn't as sprawled as it is. If someone points out that the Marie Guyart is a brutalist nightmare, I certainly do not feel the need to bash my interlocutor's city of origin.

Calgary deservedly receives a lot of praise on this forum but stop acting like it is the bestest of the best and as such is above constructive criticism.
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
  #4111  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:14 PM
Mrs Sauga Mrs Sauga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
I usually mind my own business but... kw5150, enough already!! Every single time a person dares emit a lukewarm opinion about a specific characteristic of the Calgary skyline, you go out of your way to be overly negative about the city the said person is from. Everybody here agrees that Calgary has a very impressive skyline that punches way above its weight and that the heights its office towers are quite impressive. I will even admit that I'm envious of some of Calgary's attributes. However, if someone isn't as thrilled with The Bow as you are, do not take it so personnally!!!

I like my city very much but I can say without hesitation that some of the towers are in dire need of a reclad or that I'd wish it wasn't as sprawled as it is. If someone points out that the Marie Guyart is a brutalist nightmare, I certainly do not feel the need to bash my interlocutor's city of origin.

Calgary deservedly receives a lot of praise on this forum but stop acting like it is the bestest of the best and as such is above constructive criticism.
THANK YOU!

Ever since that guy from Montreal critisized The Bow, he has gone out of his way to find a Montreal skyscraper to nit pick just for the sake of nitpicking. As if he is trying to get revenge LOL. I thought I was the only one to notice it. Its not like he dissed Calgary. I agree with him, The Bow does not look great in the skyline from certain angles. Its too wide. It is still the best skyscraper built in Canada since Scotia Plaza though.

btw, I'm from Toronto, guess we should expect some Toronto disses now? LOL
     
     
  #4112  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:14 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
I didn't realize that till now, but agreed. Excellently and unoffinsively put!


Someone said something about the Bow being wide, so he bashed one of the nicest Pomo towers in the country because it is wider than other Montreal towers, the continued to critique the entire rest of the city skyline. Is this a cycle?
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #4113  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:22 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Louise Mckinney Park and Edmonton


(http://www.designdialog.ca/assets/Louise-2.jpg)
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #4114  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:56 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Figured it was time for me to actually contribute a picture tot his thread. While it's not of Calgary's full skyline it gives a decent idea of the visibility of new projects like EAP and EAP2.

     
     
  #4115  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Then my point was made. I dont get why people need to constantly say negative 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about Calgary and the Bow. It just derails the thread. It is a great building.

Im just turning it around on purpose. I actually really love Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
I usually mind my own business but... kw5150, enough already!! Every single time a person dares emit a lukewarm opinion about a specific characteristic of the Calgary skyline, you go out of your way to be overly negative about the city the said person is from. Everybody here agrees that Calgary has a very impressive skyline that punches way above its weight and that the heights its office towers are quite impressive. I will even admit that I'm envious of some of Calgary's attributes. However, if someone isn't as thrilled with The Bow as you are, do not take it so personnally!!!

I like my city very much but I can say without hesitation that some of the towers are in dire need of a reclad or that I'd wish it wasn't as sprawled as it is. If someone points out that the Marie Guyart is a brutalist nightmare, I certainly do not feel the need to bash my interlocutor's city of origin.

Calgary deservedly receives a lot of praise on this forum but stop acting like it is the bestest of the best and as such is above constructive criticism.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #4116  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
I was just being a pretend 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 to show how dumb comments derail the thread. As far as Im concerned, all of the Canadian cities are beautiful and dense, and the buildings all have their place, and each has a complex set of constraints and generational-based style decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
I usually mind my own business but... kw5150, enough already!! Every single time a person dares emit a lukewarm opinion about a specific characteristic of the Calgary skyline, you go out of your way to be overly negative about the city the said person is from. Everybody here agrees that Calgary has a very impressive skyline that punches way above its weight and that the heights its office towers are quite impressive. I will even admit that I'm envious of some of Calgary's attributes. However, if someone isn't as thrilled with The Bow as you are, do not take it so personnally!!!

I like my city very much but I can say without hesitation that some of the towers are in dire need of a reclad or that I'd wish it wasn't as sprawled as it is. If someone points out that the Marie Guyart is a brutalist nightmare, I certainly do not feel the need to bash my interlocutor's city of origin.

Calgary deservedly receives a lot of praise on this forum but stop acting like it is the bestest of the best and as such is above constructive criticism.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #4117  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
We're not wondering if or what you're doing. We're wondering why?

You're a nice, smart, and mature person, I've met you! No need to make such petty/immature tangents.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #4118  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
Aww... you're all awesome. Don't fight.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #4119  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:33 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
This thread is for posting skyline pics, not endlessly debating how great one city is over the other. I love our cities. ......And you forgot to add handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
We're not wondering if or what you're doing. We're wondering why?

You're a nice, smart, and mature person, I've met you! No need to make such petty/immature tangents.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #4120  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:39 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
That last picture is insane. You can see almost every major project that are starting to rise on and around Rene-Levesque. Seriously, somebody should photoshop them in somehow. We got 12 towers from 120-175m. Should look pretty rad.
Can someone please? I would love to see how it will look. People keep talking about the many projects going on in Montreal, and I would love a reference to where and what will be happening. Exciting Stuff!
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.