HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2741  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:08 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I am kinda hoping that when it said that there will be a residential component to the West Temple and 400 South, that the residential will be 10+ floors on top of the Commercial. Giving us a taller and more noticeable building. I am not looking for it to be the new tallest but something in the 250-350' range would be awesome. Maybe that would spur the development of the sea of parking lots all round there.
     
     
  #2742  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:50 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
According to that Phifer rendering, the courthouse only looks good when driving past at 65 mph.
     
     
  #2743  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:00 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
According to that Phifer rendering, the courthouse only looks good when driving past at 65 mph.
Or drunk.
     
     
  #2744  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:03 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thank you UT Planner and Viperlord for the info! I'm doubtful of that office building on the corner of NW corner of 400S & W. Temple will be of any height significance, just because of how difficult it has been to procure enough tenants for our other hopeful office highrises. But, I'm hopefule that it will be built. We definitely need to lose that auto repair place right there. Any new development in that area is good news to me.
This building will probably fill with law firms who will be working across the street at the new courthouse.
     
     
  #2745  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:05 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Maybe the developers who bought the property are hoping the convention hotel will be built on their property?
There's no chance of the convention hotel being built that far from the Salt Palace.
     
     
  #2746  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:17 PM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Count me as one of the people who actually likes the Borg Cube.

Resistance Is Futile!
     
     
  #2747  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 11:32 PM
Just A Thought Just A Thought is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
How about something like this?

I extended Market St/Post Office Place into the Gracies block, and placed the N/S road further away from Squatters, allowing it to connect to both 400 S and Pierpont. While the new roads don't break the blocks in quarters, it does break it into four sections. I think it would really give the area some serious walkability and vibrancy. The parking could have access from both 125 W and W. Temple, and could have designated parking for the residential. The residential and office would have some retail on all four streets, this would be especially critical on 125 W, in order to make it a walkable and inviting street. The streets can all be two way with parallel parking on both sides, just like the existing Market Street, which has a very pedestrian scale to it.

I love this! That whole area could me made into something really special. Cool narrow streets, boutique cafes/stores/restaurants. Really dense residential. I could see it becoming one of downtowns hippest areas. And by effectively joining Market St and Pierpont it would create a real true feeling of an old narrow street city center with inviting walkability, A wonderful contrast from the huge streets of SLC. Awesome urban design.
     
     
  #2748  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 11:44 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
I don't know what the legal issues would be, but I think Salt Lake should really plan ahead and officially integrate future mid-block streets into the master plan. Figure out which orientations would work on each block, make it official, then require the streets to be incorporated into future development. Or at least place some sort of imminent domain clause into the sale or development of property so the city can build the connections.
     
     
  #2749  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 11:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
How about we finish off the portion of the block like this?

     
     
  #2750  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 11:56 PM
Just A Thought Just A Thought is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
How about we finish off the portion of the block like this?

I would be tempted to add one more residential block to the north, on the corner of Piepont and the new N/S street just to the north of the Peery.
     
     
  #2751  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:03 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I am kinda hoping that when it said that there will be a residential component to the West Temple and 400 South, that the residential will be 10+ floors on top of the Commercial. Giving us a taller and more noticeable building. I am not looking for it to be the new tallest but something in the 250-350' range would be awesome. Maybe that would spur the development of the sea of parking lots all round there.
I love that idea too, but unlikely. Salt Lake doesn't really have mix-use towers. There either Office, Hotel or housing units. I would love to see a 300 footer out of this but most likely we'll end up with two six story buildings out of this. One office and the other apartments.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2752  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:28 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I love that idea too, but unlikely. Salt Lake doesn't really have mix-use towers. There either Office, Hotel or housing units. I would love to see a 300 footer out of this but most likely we'll end up with two six story buildings out of this. One office and the other apartments.
The corner building can't be 6 stories, it has to be 100' or taller.
     
     
  #2753  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:47 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
The corner building can't be 6 stories, it has to be 100' or taller.
But not by much. Richards Court East and West buildings at City Creek Center both stand at 125 FT at ten-stories. Developers might have to go at least 100 FT, But I don't see them going much higher then that if they don't have too. I see midrises out of this, not highrises though I would love that.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2754  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 1:15 AM
UtahProjects's Avatar
UtahProjects UtahProjects is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Count me as one of the people who actually likes the Borg Cube.

Resistance Is Futile!
Same.
__________________
UtahProjects.info : Development of a Greater Utah
     
     
  #2755  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 1:39 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Some bad news on developments downtown: The CO2 cafe looks like it is closed. I don't know what happened to it; I really enjoyed it when I went.

Good news: The two restaurants at the base of 222 S Main at Brio at the base of the regent look like they are all getting ready to move in or are in the process of moving in.

Also, I really like the idea of the building on W Temple and 400 S. I would just hope that they find some way to preserve/incorporate the 2 story building about is about 130 W 400 S. I know it isn't the most spectacular historic building, but I think that it has a lot of charm and adds a lot of character to that stretch of 400. I would like to see it stay.
     
     
  #2756  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:39 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I don't know what the legal issues would be, but I think Salt Lake should really plan ahead and officially integrate future mid-block streets into the master plan. Figure out which orientations would work on each block, make it official, then require the streets to be incorporated into future development. Or at least place some sort of imminent domain clause into the sale or development of property so the city can build the connections.
That would be a "taking" of personal property by the government and thus would require just compensation by the government for turning private land into a public street.
     
     
  #2757  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 4:36 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I love that idea too, but unlikely. Salt Lake doesn't really have mix-use towers. There either Office, Hotel or housing units. I would love to see a 300 footer out of this but most likely we'll end up with two six story buildings out of this. One office and the other apartments.
I agree that there are really not any mixed use buildings in salt lake as those are usually used to add height to buildings cities more urban. Though I will like to point out that Hamilton Partners when first announcing 222 main that it was to have 20 floors of office and 8 floors of condos on top. We could have had one but with the downturn of the economy in 2008 that died. I am still a propionate of mixed use buildings as it allows for maximum densities as well gives us an option for more height. But with the luck we have I don't really expect anything taller than 15 floors for the building on the corner of west temple and 400 south.
     
     
  #2758  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 6:01 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I agree that there are really not any mixed use buildings in salt lake as those are usually used to add height to buildings cities more urban. Though I will like to point out that Hamilton Partners when first announcing 222 main that it was to have 20 floors of office and 8 floors of condos on top. We could have had one but with the downturn of the economy in 2008 that died. I am still a propionate of mixed use buildings as it allows for maximum densities as well gives us an option for more height. But with the luck we have I don't really expect anything taller than 15 floors for the building on the corner of west temple and 400 south.
The residential aspect of Hamilton Partners died long before the economic downturn in 2008 - considering it was under construction in 2007. You're right, though, it did originally have residential living ... but it was scrapped during the second and third stage of the project.
     
     
  #2759  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 6:08 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
That would be a "taking" of personal property by the government and thus would require just compensation by the government for turning private land into a public street.
That's what I meant by imminent domain. I wish the city would be proactive about that.
     
     
  #2760  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 7:13 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Eminent domain is a pretty tough sell, and a really easy way to get people not to like government if there's not a major, obvious benefit to the public. I just question whether the city govt can be more effective the more popular it is.. and so a more proactive approach might be pointless.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.