HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #861  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:55 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,765
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as rude. I often forget a lot of people on here are French. And I'm not disputing you, I'm just saying that it seems like a very odd thing to happen from all parties involed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #862  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:12 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
im sorry if im french and i dont speak alot of english soo if my grammar bothers you well just dont read it! Haha
Don't worry my friend, as far as second language goes, your english skill level is likely miles away from what most people around here can achieve.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #863  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:59 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
There was a proposal ages ago about a big condo development on Mapleton. I figured it was toast when the new mall started going up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #864  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 1:06 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,370
This is an interesting rumour, albeit an unsubstantiated one.

Let's analyze this.

- There is no question that Costco at Wheeler Park is boxed in and can't expand. It was the first Costco in NB and is therefore the oldest and the smallest. The parking at the existing store is nightmarish and there is no room for a gas bar if they wanted to install one, which they may since the gas bar in Freddy is insanely popular.
- As Mapleton Road continues to commercialize, the Day & Ross terminal will become increasingly incongruous in the neighbourhood. As it is located on the corner of Mapleton and the TCH, this could potentially be a very valuable property to commercialize instead. It would make some sense to relocate Day & Ross to someplace the the Moncton Industrial Park West on Berry Mills Road.
- I recall something about a major condo project off of Mapleton too, but I can't recall or never knew any of the particulars. I doubt however that the government is involved in any way.

So, the validity of this rumour is unknown, but there could be a few kernels of truth here. Where there is smoke, there is frequently fire so some elements of this rumour might be at least partially factual. We'll just have to wait and see.

A move by Costco out of Wheeler Park would be a major deal, and may be dependent on breaking leases etc. This is the part of the rumour that I have the greatest trouble swallowing. I certainly have my doubts on this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #865  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 1:38 AM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is an interesting rumour, albeit an unsubstantiated one.

- I recall something about a major condo project off of Mapleton too, but I can't recall or never knew any of the particulars. I doubt however that the government is involved in any way.
It was called "Port-Royal Estates". Several condo and apartment buildings were planned. Only Future Inn was built, the rest went down the drain.

There was also a fairly large commercial development planned adjacent to the Hampton Inn. With all this talk of development in the area, it was suggested that Day & Ross might cash-in and sell their property to make way for some development but nothing confirmed... Then things started settling down and all those rumors dissipated..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #866  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:37 AM
CdnEh CdnEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 431
Costco's current parking situation is literal hell on earth. I'd never in my life been stuck in a parking lot traffic jam until I decided to visit Costco on a Saturday afternoon. It took me almost an hour to just get out of the parking lot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #867  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:09 AM
David_99's Avatar
David_99 David_99 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Costco's current parking situation is literal hell on earth. I'd never in my life been stuck in a parking lot traffic jam until I decided to visit Costco on a Saturday afternoon. It took me almost an hour to just get out of the parking lot.
I still don't understand the appeal of that place. Every time my mother-inlaw visits, I have to drop her and my wife off at Costco and brave said Hell on Earth parking lot, then pick them up an hour later. This time my wife having spent $100 on some turkey lunch meat and a door mat...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #868  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:07 AM
Philbilly Philbilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Moncton
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as rude. I often forget a lot of people on here are French. And I'm not disputing you, I'm just saying that it seems like a very odd thing to happen from all parties involed.
Its ok, and same goes for me i didnt mean to go on the defence lol

And i know you guys dont believe this but i do have a extremely reliable source that was in the meeting discussing this situation.

I also know for a fact that costco offered to buy out day & ross for that piece of land and that day & ross counter offered there offer and they have till april to make a decision.

And for the government part on this they dont know why they are involved but they are
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #869  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:50 AM
C_Boy's Avatar
C_Boy C_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A move by Costco out of Wheeler Park would be a major deal, and may be dependent on breaking leases etc. This is the part of the rumour that I have the greatest trouble swallowing. I certainly have my doubts on this.
I have to agree it does seem like a big leap however two Costcos in NB have only opened in recent years but the one in moncton opened in 1995! I'm not sure how long a lease on a building like that normally averages for but nearly 20 years is fairly significant. The buyout at this point may not be bad considering the new location would be WAYYYY better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #870  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:56 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,112
How does the Moncton Costco compare size-wise to SJ's and Freddy's Costco? Both building size and Parking lot size?

Has the Moncton Costco gotten any less busy since Freddy and SJ opened?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #871  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:14 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
How does the Moncton Costco compare size-wise to SJ's and Freddy's Costco? Both building size and Parking lot size?

Has the Moncton Costco gotten any less busy since Freddy and SJ opened?
Not sure about the square footage but it is smaller and distinctly dated in appearance compared to the newer Costco's in SJ, Freddy and Dartmouth Crossing.

The store is not significantly less busy than before the other stores opened. I would say at least 80% of the out of town business at the store originates from eastern and northern NB, northern NS and PEI. The number of PEI licence plates in the parking lot is always impressive.

Perhaps lending some credence to the idea of Costco in Moncton relocating is the fact that Bayer's Lake in Halifax is expanding, and there is a rumour that the Costco there might rebuild in the new section of the business park. The Halifax Costco is of a similar vintage as the Moncton Costco.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #872  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:06 PM
theshark's Avatar
theshark theshark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern N.-B.
Posts: 1,148
Might be a good idea for them, that would make for one huge commercial district!! from Mountain and plaza to mapleton and TCH.

Thing that did not help the Costco parking was when they redesigned the parking area for larger parking space. I wonder how many spaces they lost doing that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #873  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:38 PM
Monctonguy19's Avatar
Monctonguy19 Monctonguy19 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moncton
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Thing that did not help the Costco parking was when they redesigned the parking area for larger parking space. I wonder how many spaces they lost doing that.
I always thought that was a huge was a huge waste of space! They probably lost around 20-30 parking spaces!

And could the population support a second Costco location in Greater Moncton, would that even be a possibility? Perhaps near the proposed Kent in Dieppe?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #874  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:56 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonguy19 View Post
I always thought that was a huge was a huge waste of space! They probably lost around 20-30 parking spaces!

And could the population support a second Costco location in Greater Moncton, would that even be a possibility? Perhaps near the proposed Kent in Dieppe?
Given how insanely busy the current location is, even on weekdays, a second location might be feasible but I sincerely doubt that they would build one anytime soon in a metro this size.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #875  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:00 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonguy19 View Post
I always thought that was a huge was a huge waste of space! They probably lost around 20-30 parking spaces!

And could the population support a second Costco location in Greater Moncton, would that even be a possibility? Perhaps near the proposed Kent in Dieppe?
I don't think anyone is talking about a second Costco location. The speculation is about relocation of the current location to further out on Mapleton near the TCH.

If they are looking at the Day & Ross property, I wonder if this would be for a whole new retail plaza or just for a standalone Costco store?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #876  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:10 PM
theshark's Avatar
theshark theshark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern N.-B.
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If they are looking at the Day & Ross property, I wonder if this would be for a whole new retail plaza or just for a standalone Costco store?
I really don't think we will see they day where there is no little plaza forming around Costco. Companre Costco to planting a nice flower in your garden, there will always bee weeds growing around it to take advantage of the nice soil

If this happends, I think there will be a store shuffle in the area and then the rumour mill will be going insane on what will move in that location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #877  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:16 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
If this happends, I think there will be a store shuffle in the area and then the rumour mill will be going insane on what will move in that location.
Indeed, it was principally because of Costco that Wheeler Park exists as it does today. If Costco relocated to the corner at Mapleton and the TCH, there would be an explosion of new retail out there......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #878  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:25 PM
habs33's Avatar
habs33 habs33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 646
I've heard this rumor as well from Costco staff that I know. But the General manager had told the staff that this wasn't going to happen because of the costs involved.

But this Costco is actually an old Price Club and the layout isn't consistent with new Costco buildings.

They just completed the first phase of 3 building renovations. But I also heard that the other 2 phases are on hold. Should be interesting to see if Costco continues the renovations or builds a new building
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #879  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:52 PM
FarmerTom FarmerTom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 191
Well It hasnt grown in size but they have redone some of the layout to match the layout of SJ and Fredricton stores. I think the GMA could use a second Costco in the Dieppe Ave/ Harrisville Blvd area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #880  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:36 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Welcome to the forum, FarmerTom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Well It hasnt grown in size but they have redone some of the layout to match the layout of SJ and Fredricton stores. I think the GMA could use a second Costco in the Dieppe Ave/ Harrisville Blvd area.
Gotta disagree with you there. From what I can see on their website, Halifax is the smallest city in the country to have two. Saskatoon, Victoria, Regina, Kitchener and Windsor - cities that are all between 2 and 2.5 times bigger than Moncton each only have 1.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.