HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6221  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 5:20 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM.
     
     
  #6222  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:36 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Retallack,
Question: What is Saskatoon's obsession with retail? you read the Saskatoon construction forum and it is 90% retail related. I don't have anything against retail - I just don't think a $10,000 reno and changing the name from restraunt x to restaurant y in the same building is development. Neither is changing a mall slot from an Aldo to a Sephoraaaa!!!! - Its great that you have trendy places to buy perfume, but I wouldn't consider it development.

Although I don't live in Saskatoon anymore - I remember the downtown and Broadway as vibrant and enticing - it just doesn't seem to be attracting development as in increased population density living downtown - which I totally don't get?
     
     
  #6223  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:37 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retallack View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum, too. I'm from Regina and I'm currently in my fourth year at the U of S, so I have a pretty good view of both cities.

First, I'm curious why there are always so many comparisons to Saskatoon in the Regina thread? Why the jealousy and focus on becoming the largest city? There used to be so much talk when I was growing up about how nasty Saskatoon people were about Regina and how jealous they were of Regina, but in my experience, that trend has completely reversed.

Now to address the quote above, I completely disagree. Saskatoon is developing their downtown very well. The number of new and existing restaurants and stores on second and third avenues along with those on 21st street don't suggest a deteriorating downtown. Neither does the low office vacancy rate or the lack of available parking. And Midtown Plaza is starting to look like a mall in Calgary or Edmonton with all the retailers in or near it like American Apparel, Mexx, Guess, Sephora, Town Shoes, Lush, Pandora, and Michael Hill.

I think Rabbit Fighter '77 made some great posts awhile back about the vibrancy of Saskatoon's downtown. Having the TCU Place, Persephone Theatre and Odeon down there, along with the movie theatres, really adds to everything. And Saskatoon gets many acts that Regina doesn't because of these midsize venues - I've seen bands like F.U.N., Snoop Dog, the Black Keys and the Pixies in either TCU or the Odeon over the past three years, and they all skipped Regina. This has nothing to do with Credit Union Centre, more about Saskatoon developing good facilities downtown (and having a desirable market for promoters). I remember the Prairie Dog mentioning this a couple years ago, too.

Whenever I come home, I can't help but notice the amount of development at Grasslands, north Pasqua, and east Vic. Really not too different than what is happening in Saskatoon. Both cities need to reduce this and focus more on the core, getting more people living downtown. I wouldn't say there is much difference in either city when it comes to commercial development, other than Saskatoon has more (I would really like to see Regina get a Banana Republic - this has been a great addition to Saskatoon).

And as far as overtaking Saskatoon in population, don't hold your breath. Even with Regina doing as great as it has been, Saskatoon still outgrew it. We have studied population trends and forecasting, and this won't change. Saskatoon will probably be bigger by 100,000 people in 10 years or less. And that's OK - Regina will still be doing well. We still have a great city, we have a CFL team, an impressive skyline and there are many jobs here.

Those are just my thoughts. Hope I didn't offend.
I have to agree. 25 years ago Regina had a far superior downtown. Now it is reversed. Regina has more and better office towers but that is about it.

I believe Saskatoon has outpaced Regina in the last 30 years as the private Sector has grown more quickly than the govt and Crown sector. Regina has a chance to catch up though as it strengths are in ag, refining, oil, pipelines (including steel, if the Russians don't run Evraz into the ground). These are areas with great potential. As well, Potash is becoming bigger in and around Regina.
     
     
  #6224  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:01 PM
dsim249's Avatar
dsim249 dsim249 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Retallack,
Question: What is Saskatoon's obsession with retail? you read the Saskatoon construction forum and it is 90% retail related. I don't have anything against retail - I just don't think a $10,000 reno and changing the name from restraunt x to restaurant y in the same building is development. Neither is changing a mall slot from an Aldo to a Sephoraaaa!!!! - Its great that you have trendy places to buy perfume, but I wouldn't consider it development.

Although I don't live in Saskatoon anymore - I remember the downtown and Broadway as vibrant and enticing - it just doesn't seem to be attracting development as in increased population density living downtown - which I totally don't get?
Soo you think that we're building dozens of office towers, but choose to ignore them and merely discuss retail instead?
Ever hear of a concept of "Take what you can get"? haha

Also, new restaurants are absolutely development. Bringing new life to a building that sits empty 90% of the time on a busy downtown street is completely noteworthy and exciting. I don't know why that would go ignored.
Especially new local restaurants. Boston Pizza, now that's another story.

As far as retail goes, stores that are new to the province are exciting because it's a sign of progress and growth (synonyms for development, by the way). In the retail world, it's a snowball effect. Many stores will only set up shop if particular other stores exist in that market first (Obviously other factors like population come into play, also). Many people are interested in newer, better retail. Period.

Trust me, once some of our big projects get moving along (Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan, River Landing, Children's Hospital of Saskatchewan, River Centre II, 275 etc.) retail will fall by the wayside. Until then, maybe stay out of the Saskatoon section. haha
     
     
  #6225  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:01 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM.
     
     
  #6226  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:13 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
My friend what is 275
My friend, this is 275. http://www.colliersteams.com/prod/cclod.nsf/City/152BBA79800ABBE0852575710076EC3D/$File/275+-+2nd+Avenue+South+New+Style1.pdf
     
     
  #6227  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:39 PM
Scruff Bucket's Avatar
Scruff Bucket Scruff Bucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I believe Saskatoon has outpaced Regina in the last 30 years as the private Sector has grown more quickly than the govt and Crown sector. Regina has a chance to catch up though as it strengths are in ag, refining, oil, pipelines (including steel, if the Russians don't run Evraz into the ground). These are areas with great potential. As well, Potash is becoming bigger in and around Regina.
I also see some similarities of evolution between Regina & Saskatoon and Calgary & Edmonton, in that Calgary and Saskatoon have evolved to attract a large proportion of the private sector and also a somewhat larger metro population than their respective provincial counterparts. According to this wiki article, Calgary has been larger than Edmonton for a while, and it seems to continue to gain in widening the population gap between the two cities.

I too have lived in both Regina and Saskatoon, with Regina being primarily my home town, while I schooled at U of S for a few years for some of the best years of my life, and have become and still am totally fond of Saskatoon. I wish Saskatoon all the best and greatest things with their growth, just as much as I do for Regina, and for both cities to successfully overcome/negotiate any limitations imposed on their growths!

As an aside, the L-P has an interesting article about what retail companies look for in setting up shop in a populated centre (Regina):

Quote:
Things realtors watch
The Leader-Post March 2, 2013

Some trends - in business and lifestyles - that realtors watch:

-Retail sales in Regina grew by about 8.0 per cent last year, compared with only 2.5 per cent nationally. That's not gone unnoticed by national retail and restaurant chains, who not only want to get a little of those sales, but carefully scan statistics for the best locations for their outlets.

-Malls are not dead, but "they're dying" said Avison Young sales associate Joe Trudelle after Friday's release of the firm's 2013 Market Report for Regina. "Certainly, there's nobody really developing the big malls. We're not going to see theme park-based shopping centres like Edmonton and Minneapolis, I don't think ... unless it's in China or some place that's huge for tourists or population."

Trudelle, who specializes in the retail sector, said many renters have concluded shopping centres are not cost-efficient for them. Also, centres "take up a lot of land - city planners don't like having massive amount of parking, which is virtually half-used. It just eats up land."

"You'll see more of the 'power centre' and the 'lifestyle centre', which has been defined as a shopping centre or mixed-used commercial development that combines the traditional retail functions of a shopping mall with leisure amenities oriented to upscale consumers.

-American retailers like Target, Macy's and Seattle-based Nordstorm want to grow, but see few opportunities in the U.S. over the short term. The option is going out of the country - "and Canada is close."

"They won't come to Regina immediately, but at some point in time, it's a natural fit. They'll move in."

-Retailers and realtors are watching two interesting trends: "gentrification" and "densification." Put together, they reflect the growing tendency of boomers, in retirement, to sell their homes in the suburbs and move into condos in the continents' downtowns. One commercial consequence is the appearance of core-area "mix-used projects," with retail - shops and stores - on the ground floor, and apartments or condos above them.

-Among major retailers, the catchphrase du jour is "brick or click."

Because so many shoppers are "clicking" on websites to buying certain items - electronics or DIY furniture for example - retailers are very careful about investing in "bricks" or permanent stores, certainly large stores. This is driving down the size of many retail outlets.

Incidentally, Trudelle doesn't expect to see an Ikea in Regina - ever.

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post
Hah! I wouldn't be surprised if Saskatoon gets a "T & T" (Asian Supermarket with a really great Asian deli, that is now part of the Loblaws chain of supermarkets) before Regina does!
     
     
  #6228  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:59 PM
Scruff Bucket's Avatar
Scruff Bucket Scruff Bucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 560
     
     
  #6229  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 12:09 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,047
Chris Hadfield photo of Regina from the ISS taken today.

     
     
  #6230  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:07 AM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM.
     
     
  #6231  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:50 AM
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
blacktrojan3921 blacktrojan3921 is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Thank you for the picture , one can see the loblaws warehouse that's a big momma
Seriously? XD How the hell can you see the warehouse in all that snow?
     
     
  #6232  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:57 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Seriously? XD How the hell can you see the warehouse in all that snow?
I see it. The perfect rectangle straight west of the airport.
     
     
  #6233  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:04 AM
Draftsman Draftsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Thank you for the picture , one can see the loblaws warehouse that's a big momma
thefourthtower is correct. go to newstalk980's website (link below) and click on Chris Hadfield's photo from the ISS to get a larger image. The Loblaw mega-warehouse at the GTH is clearly visible. For those unfamiliar with the warehouse, it is a long rectangular building (as Stormer said) oriented north-south.

http://www.cjme.com/story/canadian-astronaut-chris-hadfield-tweets-picture-regina-space/98823
     
     
  #6234  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:18 AM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Retallack,
Question: What is Saskatoon's obsession with retail? you read the Saskatoon construction forum and it is 90% retail related.
It's a real sign of the health of a district or area. In this context, it may be referred to to demonstrate that Saskatoon's city centre is NOT deteriorating or disintegrating. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The remarkable revitalization of Riversdale in Saskatoon, for example, doesn't get any cred here because a high rise hasn't gone up yet as a result of it. Don't tell me there's not real positive change happening in Saskatoon's inner city (as I know is also the case in Regina). High rise construction is far from being the most illustrative indicator of that.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #6235  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:53 AM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM.
     
     
  #6236  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:54 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,047
While on the Loblaws topic I saw one of their white shuttle buses in the Heritage Neighbourhood the other day. They have contracted FirstBus to shuttle their employees from affordable inner city neighborhoods to the GTH
     
     
  #6237  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:11 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
It's a real sign of the health of a district or area. In this context, it may be referred to to demonstrate that Saskatoon's city centre is NOT deteriorating or disintegrating. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The remarkable revitalization of Riversdale in Saskatoon, for example, doesn't get any cred here because a high rise hasn't gone up yet as a result of it. Don't tell me there's not real positive change happening in Saskatoon's inner city (as I know is also the case in Regina). High rise construction is far from being the most illustrative indicator of that.
I know there is postive change in Saskatoon - lots of it. Its a fantastic city. Regina doesn't have a neighborhood to compare with Broadway. I just can't figure out why it hasn't changed substantivey since I left there. Same reason as Regina I suppose - the margins that developers can on cheaper property on the outskirts far exceeds the margins on infill in spite of the cost profile to the city to provide the infrastructure.
     
     
  #6238  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:19 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
While on the Loblaws topic I saw one of their white shuttle buses in the Heritage Neighbourhood the other day. They have contracted FirstBus to shuttle their employees from affordable inner city neighborhoods to the GTH
I first noticed the white bus about a month ago and continue to see it pulling onto Albert from Parliament Ave. Servicing the Parliament apartments no doubt.
     
     
  #6239  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:30 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM.
     
     
  #6240  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:36 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:03 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.