HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:55 PM

Airport passenger traffic up six per cent in 2012

Quote:
Passenger traffic through St. John’s International Airport reached nearly 1.5 million people in 2012, a six per cent increase over 2011.

The airport authority released the figures today in a news release that noted the St. John’s airport, with about 1,450,000 passengers last year, is now the 10th-busiest airport in the country.

Keith Collins, president and CEO of the airport authority, called 2012, the busiest year on record, “another solid year.”

“It just keeps on growing,” he said. “This kind of growth at the airport here in St. John’s really speaks to the strength of this region’s economy, because it’s a very strong link between how an economy’s doing and the demand for air travel. So when the economy’s doing well, the demand for air travel is up, and I think it works the other way as well, that if demand for air travel is up, it benefits the economy.”

About 85 airport maintenance workers have been on strike since Sept. 11, which may have slowed growth, acknowledged Collins, with labour-sympathetic convention organizers cancelling conferences and travellers bypassing the St. John’s airport in favour of Gander, but he said the fourth quarter of 2012 saw four per cent growth, so any strike effect is minimal, he added.

“The fourth quarter was up almost four per cent over the fourth quarter of 2011,” he said. “We processed 330,000 passengers in the fourth quarter, so there was strong growth there. … I wouldn’t say there was no effect, but the effect of those sorts of decisions has been fairly modest when you’re looking at four per cent growth in the fourth quarter.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...cent-in-2012/1

Last edited by J_Murphy; Feb 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Wow, that really is amazing service! WestJet's regional airline can't come fast enough.

I'm also a big fan of Porter; had the opportunity to fly with them Toronto-Moncton last summer and MAN is everything great. Smooth check-in, relaxed service, free snacks at the terminal, free meal on the plane, free booze... basically heaven! Next time I'm Toronto-bound I'll definitely be looking at them first.

I still fly most often with Air Canada, mainly because it remains the only game in town for NB-Montreal direct.
They also serve this free booze at 6am in the morning. All you have to do is ask.

Don't inquire about how I know this

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:02 PM

GMIA Conducts Research on Direct Air between Greater Moncton and St. John's

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 7:03 PM
ハルウララ

Sounds like I need to fly Porter sometime soon.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 7:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Sounds like I need to fly Porter sometime soon.
Porter is great. If my destination is downtown Toronto, I would fly Porter out of Moncton 100% of the time.

Porter could be useful for other destinations as well. The last time I was in Chicago, I noticed Porter ads plastered all over North Michigan Avenue. I should try connecting to Chicago via Porter at Billy Bishop the next time I go. Something tells me doing customs preclearance at Billy Bishop would be a tad more civilized and humane than at Pearson....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Porter is great. If my destination is downtown Toronto, I would fly Porter out of Moncton 100% of the time.

Porter could be useful for other destinations as well. The last time I was in Chicago, I noticed Porter ads plastered all over North Michigan Avenue. I should try connecting to Chicago via Porter at Billy Bishop the next time I go. Something tells me doing customs preclearance at Billy Bishop would be a tad more civilized and humane than at Pearson....
Porter is the only option from any NB based airport unless you want to go to Montreal first which defeats the purpose I would think. A layover and additional flight to avoid a 25 minute taxi ride?

Also, US customs via domestic connections at Pearson is probably the most civilized and convenient border clearance points you will find in any airport around the world.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 8:35 PM

Flying into Bangor from Los Angeles this evening... I wish it were more economical to fly to direct Canada - really sucks having to drive 3 hours after flying coast to coast.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:02 PM

http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?id=19....1.262.291.667

Quote:
February 13, 2013

2012 was Halifax Stanfield’s Busiest

Maintains Coveted Global Airport Service Quality Reputation

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax Stanfield International Airport (HSIA) welcomed 3,605,701 passengers in 2012. This marks the airport’s busiest year and accounts for over half of all the air passengers in Atlantic Canada.

At the same time, Halifax Stanfield maintained its Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Assured certification, making it one of only 12 airports in the world to reach this pinnacle of passenger satisfaction.

“We maintained our superior level of customer service while serving more passengers thanks to the hard work and focus of all our partners – airlines, tenants, retailers, volunteers, all levels of government and the dedicated employees of Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA),” says Tom Ruth, HIAA President & CEO. “The commitment we receive from everyone in our airport community is tremendous.”

Compared to 2011, two of the three sectors recorded year-over-year growth, accounting for the 0.3 per cent growth in 2012.

Canadian domestic traffic held steady, rising 0.9 per cent to 2,882,198 passengers
International traffic rose 2.8 per cent, and also marked a record year serving 337,118 passengers
Transborder traffic (non-stop to the United States) declined 5.7 per cent, serving 386,385 passengers
In 2012, Halifax Stanfield was served by 18 passenger airlines flying to a total of 48 non-stop destinations (26 year-round and 22 seasonal). The airport served an average of over 170 flights each day.

Passenger airlines included Air Canada, WestJet, Jazz, Porter, United/Continental, Air Transat, American Airlines, CanJet, Condor, Air Georgian, Air St. Pierre, Delta, Icelandair, Cubana, Sunwing, Provincial Airlines and US Airways.

“Our record year in 2012 was thanks to a very strong first half,” says Ruth. “Reduced airline capacity created a downward trend in the second half of the year, and we expect it to carry over into the first quarter of 2013. We will continue to work with our airline partners to maintain and grow our air service, particularly to the United States.”

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 6:03 PM

I don't recall if it was mentionned here but West Jet Encore, the regional brand, have listed some possible destinations (nothing confirmed) on wikipedia(for what it is worth) Some have already been confirmed and some are only indicated as being considered. Fredericton and Gander are the only 2 atlantic destinations mentionned and are in the being considered destination lists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestJet_Encore

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 6:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good find!

I'm not surprised that they are launching in western Canada first. I am surprised that they are only considering Fredericton and Gander (so far) in Atlantic Canada.

On the bright side, if Encore isn't slated for the GMIA (yet), that should mean that the WestJet mainline service to the hub city is safe. Encore could have supplemented the WestJet service to the airport, or could have acted as a replacement service. Currently there is WestJet service from the GMIA to Toronto, Hamilton, Orlando and Cancun (I think).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:45 AM

Quote:

Good find!

I'm not surprised that they are launching in western Canada first. I am surprised that they are only considering Fredericton and Gander (so far) in Atlantic Canada.

On the bright side, if Encore isn't slated for the GMIA (yet), that should mean that the WestJet mainline service to the hub city is safe. Encore could have supplemented the WestJet service to the airport, or could have acted as a replacement service. Currently there is WestJet service from the GMIA to Toronto, Hamilton, Orlando and Cancun (I think).
It seems that they are focusing on markets which they think will avoid competition to their mainline service, and linking back to their hubs. That is why they only looked at Gander in Newfoundland, since that airport is about 4 hours from Deer Lake and 3 hours from St. John's (driving times), Encore would probably fly from Gander to Halifax. I know very little about New Brunswick air travel, so I'm going out on a limb and guessing that a Fredericton Encore service would probably go through Montreal to avoid competing with mainline service from Moncton to Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:04 AM

Quote:

Good find!

Encore is already slated to replace some mainline capacity out west, in addition to adding new destinations and adding additional capacity on other routes. So all bets are off on what will happen to eastern mainline routes once Encore makes its way in our direction - probably not for another 8-12 months (or more) by the sound of things.

Quote:
WestJet Encore
WestJet Encore begins operation from 24JUN13, and will be further expanded from 15AUG13, with a fleet of 78-seater Dash8-Q400 aircraft.

Calgary – Edmonton eff 15AUG13 1 of 7 daily service replace Mainline operation
WS3252 YYC1220 – 1311YEG DH4 D
WS3253 YEG1715 – 1803YYC DH4 D

From 15SEP13, overall service increases from 7 to 9 daily, with 4 of 9 daily operated by Encore
WS3250 YYC0600 – 0651YEG DH4 D
WS3252 YYC1220 – 1311YEG DH4 D
WS3268 YYC1450 – 1541YEG DH4 D
WS3291 YYC1745 – 1836YEG DH4 D

WS3251 YEG1050 – 1138YYC DH4 D
WS3273 YEG1615 – 1703YYC DH4 D
WS3253 YEG1715 – 1803YYC DH4 D
WS3292 YEG2245 – 2333YYC DH4 D

Calgary – Fort St. John eff 24JUN13 NEW WestJet service
WS3101 YYC1600 – 1639YXJ DH4 D
WS3100 YXJ1030 – 1300YYC DH4 D

Calgary – Grande Prairie eff 15AUG13 NEW 1 daily nonstop service
WS3248 YYC2030 – 2154YQU DH4 D
WS3249 YQU0600 – 0717YYC DH4 D (eff 16AUG13)

Calgary – Nanaimo eff 24JUN13 NEW WestJet service
WS3109 YYC1100 – 1143YCD DH4 D
WS3108 YCD1230 – 1457YYC DH4 D

Schedule varies after 15SEP13

Calgary – Regina eff 15AUG13 1 of 4 daily service replace Mainline operation
WS3296 YYC0815 – 0943YQR DH4 D
WS3289 YQR1015 – 1148YYC DH4 D

Calgary – Saskatoon eff 24JUN13 Overall service increases from 4 to 5 daily
WS3241 YYC1650 – 1805YXE DH4 D
WS3246 YXE1835 – 1953YYC DH4 D

Edmonton – Grande Prairie eff 15AUG13 1 of 2 daily service replace Mainline operation
WS3252 YEG1345 – 1451YQU DH4 D
WS3253 YQU1530 – 1632YEG DH4 D

Vancouver – Fort St. John eff 24JUN13 NEW WestJet service
WS3102 YVR0815 – 0959YXJ DH4 D (eff 25JUN13)
WS3103 YXJ1710 – 1855YVR DH4 D

Vancouver – Victoria eff 24JUN13 NEW WestJet service
WS3103 YVR1925 – 1955YYJ DH4 D
WS3102 YYJ0715 – 0744YVR DH4 D (eff 25JUN13)
Link: http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/11/ws-s13/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 8:22 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if the new airline will free up the B737's for other places that have SEASONAL only flights (non sunshine destination) Like Moncton-Hamilton, Windsor-Calgary, London-Winnipeg as just some examples of seasonal only flights. I miss that Hamilton flight from Moncton, a great choice for people flying to Southern Ontario west of Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 5:08 PM

In anticipation of the summer tourist season, Sunwing has announced their Newfoundland flight schedule. Starting in mid June and continuing through to September I believe:

Toronto (Pearson) to St. John's - Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
Toronto (Pearson) to Gander - Tuesday and Friday
Toronto (Pearson) to Stephenville - Wednesday

$450 taxes in, round trip, according to their website. That puts them over $100 cheaper than AC, plus they aren't landing at all hours of the morning/night.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:42 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Feb 19, 2013

Cross posted from the Sydney thread.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/L...gs-in-Sydney/1

Quote:
Air Canada spreads wings in Sydney
Direct flight to Toronto flight added over summer

Published on February 19, 2013

SYDNEY — Growing passenger demand has led to an additional direct Sydney-to-Toronto flight by Air Canada this summer.

The flight will run from June 22 to Sept. 2 and is in addition to Air Canada’s daily express Sydney-to-Toronto flight running from May 1 to Oct. 26, which arrives in Sydney at 1:34 a.m. and leaves at 5:50 a.m.

West Jet will also be adding a Sydney-Toronto flight from May 17 until Sept. 3, and three times a week from Sept. 5 to Oct. 24.

This will be the fifth year for seasonal service with direct flights between Sydney and Toronto. Demand for the Sydney-to-Toronto route has been steadily increasing and MacInnis says she’s hopeful even more flights may be added.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
I don't recall if it was mentionned here but West Jet Encore, the regional brand, have listed some possible destinations (nothing confirmed) on wikipedia(for what it is worth) Some have already been confirmed and some are only indicated as being considered. Fredericton and Gander are the only 2 atlantic destinations mentionned and are in the being considered destination lists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestJet_Encore
I wouldn't put too much stock in a Wikipedia list of possible Encore locations. List is populated from local newspaper articles that indicate that locations wooing Encore. There are likely many articles that are not captured here. Bottom line is that Encore will likely fly out of several Atlantic Canadian locations once the eastern-leg is up and running...not just Freddy and Gander

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in a Wikipedia list of possible Encore locations.
I Think we are all well aware of this

And also another note, Pascan aviation has announced 3 new destinations will be available from the Bathurst airport. Montreal(St-hubert), Quebec city and Iles de la madeleine at a reason of 5 times per week. Service will began on March 11

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:41 AM

Watching the CBC news last evening……saw an ad for Provincial Airlines Saab service linking Halifax-Charlo-Wabush-Schefferville. When did the flights begin? Details here:

https://www.provincialairlines.com/bookonline5.asp

At Halifax the flight uses the ESSO-Avitat facility not the Main Terminal.

Checking the web page for Charlo Airport……there's not a mention of the flight.....but nice to see them with service again.……they once had Eastern Provincial Boeing ‘737s routing: Montreal-Charlo-Chatham (Miramichi)-Montreal.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Feb 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:14 PM

Air travel within Canada is really quite ridiculous... why is it okay that a 45 minute flight from Saint John to Halifax costs $450?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Watching the CBC news last evening……saw an ad for Provincial Airlines Saab service linking Halifax-Charlo-Wabush-Schefferville. When did the flights begin? Details here:

https://www.provincialairlines.com/bookonline5.asp

At Halifax the flight uses the ESSO-Avitat facility not the Main Terminal.

Checking the web page for Charlo Airport……there's not a mention of the flight.....but nice to see them with service again.……they once had Eastern Provincial Boeing ‘737s routing: Montreal-Charlo-Chatham (Miramichi)-Montreal.
These flights started up last year I believe, with the intention of serving workers going to and from the mines in Labrador West and Schefferville. It is definitely a needed service.

PAL Info Sheet on Halifax-Charlo-Wabush-Schefferville Service

Eastern Provincial Airways (EPA) used to operate some really great and interesting routes in Atlantic Canada before they were bought out by Air Canada. For some reason I'm reminded of an old gauntlet flight offered by AC or EPA way back when. It started in Toronto and made 8 stops between there and St. John's. Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Saint John-Moncton-Halifax-Stephenville-Gander-St. John's I think it went. It was before my time, but there was old airline schedule on the wall of an office somewhere that has always stuck in my mind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces