HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 4:21 PM

14 St NW & 5 Ave NW

I did a quick scan of some of the threads but I didn't find much on the development at 14 St and 5 Ave NW. I apologize if I've missed it, but can anyone provide any info re: name, tenants, etc? There will be a decent amount of retail on street level from what I can see. Thanks in advance...

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 5:32 PM

Not much has been mentioned about it, the project itself is being developed for the Brenda Strafford Foundation, 33 units in the building will be used for protective housing for women who've left abusive relationships, and the 50 or so other units will be used as affordable housing. The plan was to have some support services (counselling, etc) plus retail in the building as well. Originally Rogers Video was supposed to move back into it as they were formerly on the site and moved down the street temporarily, however that temporary location has closed down now so that may be up in the air.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Not much has been mentioned about it, the project itself is being developed for the Brenda Strafford Foundation, 33 units in the building will be used for protective housing for women who've left abusive relationships, and the 50 or so other units will be used as affordable housing. The plan was to have some support services (counselling, etc) plus retail in the building as well. Originally Rogers Video was supposed to move back into it as they were formerly on the site and moved down the street temporarily, however that temporary location has closed down now so that may be up in the air.
Thanks - I vaguely remember the low income housing being mentioned, but I have never heard a word about retail. There are no for lease signs at all, or any signage on site. I hope there are some plans for it. I moved nearby and I'm always hoping for more neighbourhood retail. I'm still irritated with the 5 West people for leaving their retail space empty. I used to live right by there, and always had a lot of hope for more stuff there but it hasn't happened and seems like it never will.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:45 PM

Just an update for this - there is now:

- a donair shop.
- a home furnishing / decor store
- an new gym (http://urbanathletecalgary.com/) which opened last week.

Not sure how well business is doing but it doesn't look gangbusters - it's a bit isolated from the main drag. Not sure if they have parking either.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
33 units in the building will be used for protective housing for women who've left abusive relationships, and the 50 or so other units will be used as affordable housing.
This is the way to do affordable housing, dedicate entire projects to it and purpose build it, rather then handcuff development propsals for market priced developments with a 2% affordable housing requirement.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion747 View Post
Just an update for this - there is now:

- a donair shop.
- a home furnishing / decor store
- an new gym (http://urbanathletecalgary.com/) which opened last week.

Not sure how well business is doing but it doesn't look gangbusters - it's a bit isolated from the main drag. Not sure if they have parking either.
There's also a Daycare, though I am not sure it is open to the public.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates