Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax
Perhaps the facade can be saved?
|
Hopefully at least, but it strikes me a little sad sometimes that this seems to be all we can hope for. While I heartily endorse this kind of thing if the structure of the building is unsaveable (as appears to be the case with Waterside), it seems like every time there's talk of developing a site with an interesting old building on it, the compromise always seems to come down to saving the facade and gutting the rest.
I know we can't save 'em all, and a facade is better than nothing, but I can't help but think that years from now all that will be left of most of these fine and interesting old buildings will be the face - kinda seems like a Disney World scenario where things look kinda real but are nowhere near being authentic.
I find that the facade is only a small part of what makes these buildings interesting. What's really cool is when you go inside and see building materials that are no longer used and that were all constructed by hand using methods much more difficult and personal than what is common now. Layouts, styles, materials that all harken back to a different era, and can be made viable with some upgrades that don't necessarily show to the eye. Of course, yes - it will be more expensive - which is almost always the deciding point.
Just my

while there are still pennies left...