HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


    Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
I agree, it's pretty cool and different than anything else in Ottawa. Which is what we need. Would be fun to see it in different renders.
Also, weren't those wavy balconies taken straight out from the first proposed "SOHO Italia"?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:16 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,683
I'm not liking it so far...

The undulations appear to have just been stuck onto the outside of a rectangular box (which is exactly what they have done), instead of making the building itself look shapely. It looks like a not-well-integrated afterthought, like varicose veins or something.

But I'll wait for a render from a different angle before I really complain :-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 7:26 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
this is getting kinda funny... SoHo drops the wavy gravy in a snit when their proposal lost some height, and now Claridge picks it up and tacks it on the outside of theirs? I agree with rocketfish, and will wait and see whether this one ever gets past the conceptual stage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 3:48 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:25 PM
amanfromnowhere's Avatar
amanfromnowhere amanfromnowhere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa/Stockholm
Posts: 367
Registration page:

http://claridgecondos.com/icon/

Quote:
In 2013, Ottawa's most iconic building will rise, setting new heights in luxury downtown living. Little Italy. Dow's Lake Pavilion. The Rideau Canal. All within reach. 505 Preston Street — live life at the top.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:29 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
in 2013 it will rise? I don't expect we'll see any "rising" in 2013... I think more than a year's worth of planning, approvals, appeals, pre-sales, prep-work and more stand in the way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:38 PM
amanfromnowhere's Avatar
amanfromnowhere amanfromnowhere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa/Stockholm
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
in 2013 it will rise? I don't expect we'll see any "rising" in 2013... I think more than a year's worth of planning, approvals, appeals, pre-sales, prep-work and more stand in the way.
yeah.... may be they are talking about sale centre?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:40 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
yeah.... may be they are talking about sale centre?


"Rising to the full height of an ACCO trailer!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:32 PM
JackBauer24 JackBauer24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post


"Rising to the full height of an ACCO trailer!"
"Rising up 12' off the ground, a mediocre sales office with an eerily similar look to our Tribeca office will rise up. And later a 40+ story building leaving you wanting more will be in place by 2017. Welcome to Claridge condos."

I can't understand why anyone would buy a Claridge condos. They've historically built very poor condos, and yet people still flock to them. Yes, they're comparitively a lower-priced condo, but Claridge has proven again and agin that you get what you pay for with them. Cheap prices = cheap condos. All of Ottawa's most visible locations for condos (Rideau/Sussex, Carling/Preston, Rideau/King Eddy) are scarred by what Claridge has designed - the prison-esque 700 Sussex, the white plastic railings of CP1 and 2, etc... I long for the day that quality buildings/condos are built on Ottawa's marquis lots, I just won't hold my breath until that day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:45 PM
YOWflier's Avatar
YOWflier YOWflier is offline
Melissa: fabulous.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YOW/CYOW/CUUP
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
I can't understand why anyone would buy a Claridge condos.
You answered your own question.

Quote:
Claridge
Quote:
All of Ottawa's most visible locations for condos
Quote:
Ottawa's marquis lots
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:46 PM
Boxster's Avatar
Boxster Boxster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
"Rising up 12' off the ground, a mediocre sales office with an eerily similar look to our Tribeca office will rise up. And later a 40+ story building leaving you wanting more will be in place by 2017. Welcome to Claridge condos."

I can't understand why anyone would buy a Claridge condos. They've historically built very poor condos, and yet people still flock to them. Yes, they're comparitively a lower-priced condo, but Claridge has proven again and agin that you get what you pay for with them. Cheap prices = cheap condos. All of Ottawa's most visible locations for condos (Rideau/Sussex, Carling/Preston, Rideau/King Eddy) are scarred by what Claridge has designed - the prison-esque 700 Sussex, the white plastic railings of CP1 and 2, etc... I long for the day that quality buildings/condos are built on Ottawa's marquis lots, I just won't hold my breath until that day.
My guess is that some people don't have any taste and all they are looking for are low prices to be able to live downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 4:49 AM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
"Rising up 12' off the ground, a mediocre sales office with an eerily similar look to our Tribeca office will rise up. And later a 40+ story building leaving you wanting more will be in place by 2017. Welcome to Claridge condos."

I can't understand why anyone would buy a Claridge condos. They've historically built very poor condos, and yet people still flock to them. Yes, they're comparitively a lower-priced condo, but Claridge has proven again and agin that you get what you pay for with them. Cheap prices = cheap condos. All of Ottawa's most visible locations for condos (Rideau/Sussex, Carling/Preston, Rideau/King Eddy) are scarred by what Claridge has designed - the prison-esque 700 Sussex, the white plastic railings of CP1 and 2, etc... I long for the day that quality buildings/condos are built on Ottawa's marquis lots, I just won't hold my breath until that day.
Don't forget lebreton. People are having a ton of trouble unloading those white elephants. It doesn't help that the area is still a wasteland almost 10 years in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 6:03 AM
Postmaster Postmaster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
My guess is that some people don't have any taste and all they are looking for are low prices to be able to live downtown.
My own guess is that you're right but I don't think we can have our cake and eat it too. Most of the time in this town, we aren't going to get top quality with our intensification. All the CPs are is the urban version of cookie cutter semi detached homes you would find in the suburbs. Nothing special, but good enough for a lot of single government employees.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:18 PM
constructivism constructivism is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
My own guess is that you're right but I don't think we can have our cake and eat it too. Most of the time in this town, we aren't going to get top quality with our intensification. All the CPs are is the urban version of cookie cutter semi detached homes you would find in the suburbs. Nothing special, but good enough for a lot of single government employees.
I think people are very ignorant to what you get with a Claridge condo versus the competition. Granted some projects in the past haven't been completely aesthetically pleasing, I think it would be unfair to say they are low quality.
What Claridge typically excels at is constructing a quality building envelope, which is something the unit owner doesn't own and cannot change. Frankly if I were to be looking for a condo, I would be more concerned with what I don't own because I wouldn't be able to change it.

I believe people buy Claridge condo's because the interior's are cheap, not in spite of. Whether or not you have noticed, rental apartment stock in Ottawa hasn't really changed since the '70's. There isn't much money to be made in 100% rental buildings anymore. Therefore some buildings are built to a lower $/sqft to entice investors or rentals.

What I do find interesting in Ottawa though, people in these forums are more critical of the Developer over the Architect. Most comments whether they be negative or positive are in direct regard to visual aesthetics, which is the Architects domain. The Developer merely writes the cheques.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 6:25 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructivism View Post
What I do find interesting in Ottawa though, people in these forums are more critical of the Developer over the Architect. Most comments whether they be negative or positive are in direct regard to visual aesthetics, which is the Architects domain. The Developer merely writes the cheques.
Hopefully the developer does a little more than write cheques. Presumably they have a little bit of interest in the aesthetics of the building, as well as the budget that they give their architects to work with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 4:11 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,648
Agree that we mostly complain about architectural issues and rarely discuss structural or quality interiors. That being said, someone at Claridge had to sign off on 2 (soon to be 4) very similar and very outdated condo tower designs within 1 block of eachother. These may not be supertalls, but they are some of the tallest residential in Ottawa and will be very visible from the market FOREVER! I actually wouldn't mind tower 1 and 2 if there was only 1 of them and the other 3 towers had some unique design aspects, a nice roof feature (sorely missing in Ottawa), and something other than sea foam spandrel. That said, I have high hopes for Tribeca and possibly this project if Claridge considers it to be a "signature" tower for their company, which they would have to considering it would be a new tallest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 4:23 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
It wouldn't be "decades" - the Metropole was built in 2004-2005, it stands at 32 stories, one of the tallest in the City.
Just realized that I never responded to this. Place de Ville Tower C is and has been Ottawa's tallest since 1971. Metropole was a breath of fresh air, but it's still not a new tallest, something that SS fans use as a bit of a metric. Have a look at the Toronto forums to see how irritated people are that they have yet to build something taller than FCP despite all the exciting development going on there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:02 PM
JackBauer24 JackBauer24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructivism View Post
I think people are very ignorant to what you get with a Claridge condo versus the competition. Granted some projects in the past haven't been completely aesthetically pleasing, I think it would be unfair to say they are low quality.
What Claridge typically excels at is constructing a quality building envelope, which is something the unit owner doesn't own and cannot change. Frankly if I were to be looking for a condo, I would be more concerned with what I don't own because I wouldn't be able to change it.

I believe people buy Claridge condo's because the interior's are cheap, not in spite of. Whether or not you have noticed, rental apartment stock in Ottawa hasn't really changed since the '70's. There isn't much money to be made in 100% rental buildings anymore. Therefore some buildings are built to a lower $/sqft to entice investors or rentals.

What I do find interesting in Ottawa though, people in these forums are more critical of the Developer over the Architect. Most comments whether they be negative or positive are in direct regard to visual aesthetics, which is the Architects domain. The Developer merely writes the cheques.
How many Claridge condos have you stepped foot in (not including their models)? If you've had the chance to be in a few of their buildings, I think your opinion may change. I agree with you that most of their project exteriors are not aesthetically pleasing, but their interiors might actually be worse. The materials they use, the workmanship, the way in which their deficiencies are handled, the list goes on and on. Perfect example: my friend owns a place at CP1, they installed the large (12"x12" or 13"x13") bathroom tub surround tiles for his kitchen backsplash - mistakes happen when you're building 150+ condos, but it took him 9 months and the threat of legal action to have them change it to the correct tile. And that's just one of the many horror stories I've heard from Claridge condo owners.

Your theory about people buying Claridge because of, and not despite of, their cheap interior finishes to make it a better investment doesn't really make sense, because it's not as if Claridge's prices are way below everyone elses - in fact, they're prices are average at best. For the savvy investors out there, price isn't the top factor to consider when gauging investment options - value is. And since Claridge offers one of the cheapest finishing packages out there, but charges average prices - is there a lot of value there?

As for your take on the architects share of the blame: Architects are hired by the developer to design what the developer wants - plus they take into account the budget, height variences, by-laws, etc.... Not the other way around. Pointing the finger at the architects for poor and ugly buildings with terrible interior finishes is the same as blaming the roofing guys for putting Scotia Bank Place in Kanata over LeBreton. The developer cuts the cheques, he calls the shots. Any positive or negative comments should be aimed at the developer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:05 PM
JackBauer24 JackBauer24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Hopefully the developer does a little more than write cheques. Presumably they have a little bit of interest in the aesthetics of the building, as well as the budget that they give their architects to work with.
No no, developers just simply write cheques to whichever architect they can find and hope for the best. :s

I've yet to come across a developer in Ottawa who wasn't concerned with everything from aesthetics, to design, to floorplans, to interior and exterior finishes. It's almost like they treat is as their profession.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:10 PM
JackBauer24 JackBauer24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Agree that we mostly complain about architectural issues and rarely discuss structural or quality interiors. That being said, someone at Claridge had to sign off on 2 (soon to be 4) very similar and very outdated condo tower designs within 1 block of eachother. These may not be supertalls, but they are some of the tallest residential in Ottawa and will be very visible from the market FOREVER! I actually wouldn't mind tower 1 and 2 if there was only 1 of them and the other 3 towers had some unique design aspects, a nice roof feature (sorely missing in Ottawa), and something other than sea foam spandrel. That said, I have high hopes for Tribeca and possibly this project if Claridge considers it to be a "signature" tower for their company, which they would have to considering it would be a new tallest.
Welcome to Claridge (and other Ottawa builders business model) - design 1 building, duplicate it as many times as possible with little to no changes or updates, put in the bare minimum standard for finishes, repeat until sales stop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.