HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:21 PM

Confederation Line (Stage 1) | In Service

OLRT project was just passed by council 24-0 and the money is starting to flow from the province and the feds. Perhaps this thing might actually get built???

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Sep 20, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital_urbanite View Post
OLRT project was just passed by council 24-0 and the money is starting to flow from the province and the feds. Perhaps this thing might actually get built???
I think there's a reference to the Confederation Line project on the Mayan calendar.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
I think there's a reference to the Confederation Line project on the Mayan calendar.
A 24-0 vote by council could only be an omen of the end of the world.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
National Capital Region

If something is going to cause this line not to be built, it's likely to be some major unexpected problem of a technical or engineering nature causing the budget to blow up.

On another note, since this thread is kind of redundant at the moment given that we already have a rapid transit developments thread, I nominate that this be the SSP Ottawa Confederation Line Construction thread. So hopefully lots of construction pics...

For anyone reading this thread in the years to come, especially if you're not from Ottawa, here's the City of Ottawa's light rail website:

http://www.ottawalightrail.ca

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 3:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
On another note, since this thread is kind of redundant at the moment given that we already have a rapid transit developments thread, I nominate that this be the SSP Ottawa Confederation Line Construction thread.
I second the motion. Can an admin rename it?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Closed account

I nominate adding the '| U/C' as we do with other developments. It isn't necessarily redundant either, the other thread would include discussion about the O-Train and BRT, but it does make sense that this would end up being updates about construction etc.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Design and construction to begin on LRT line

The city has finalized the finances of its agreement with Rideau Transit Group to construct Ottawa’s $2.1 billion light-rail line, the consortium’s companies announced Wednesday.

Toronto-based ACS Infrastructure will lead the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the city’s LRT system. Construction cost is estimated at $1.8 billion, with an additional $300 million allocated for buying the necessary land.

Engineering firm SNC Lavalin, construction company EllisDon Corp. and Ottawa-based BBB Architects are also part of the group.

Rideau Transit Group, which was named as the winning bidder by the city in December, will be responsible for the construction of 12.5 kilometres of track, 13 new stations and a 2.5 kilometre tunnel underneath downtown Ottawa.

In addition to the construction, the consortium will widen parts of Highway 417, supply the light-rail transit vehicles, build a maintenance and storage facility and provide 30 years of maintenance.

Design and construction is slated to begin immediately, with service expected in spring 2018.

“We are proud to partner with the City of Ottawa to deliver a project that will bring great benefits to the city and its residents,” stated EllisDon president and CEO Geoff Smith in a company release.

“We recognize that the civil infrastructure market is growing and we have structured the company to respond to this need.”

Much of the work that will need to be done on the light-rail line is still up for grabs, and members of the winning consortium say they will be looking to local firms to do a lot of the heavy lifting over the estimated five-year construction period.
http://www.obj.ca/Real%20Estate/Cons...-on-LRT-line/1

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
For Rideau Station near the end (page 79), we can see parts of the Rideau Expansion plans.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:44 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
That's the first time I've seen a render for that Downtown East Station entrance. Can it even fit there? it will obscure a garage ramp.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:02 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For Rideau Station near the end (page 79), we can see parts of the Rideau Expansion plans.
I'm surprised they are going for two separate ticketing concourses instead of one large central hall connected to all exits. I hate these types of stations where if you happen to be on one end of the train and the specific exit is down the other end of the platform. It's fine for outlying stations but not great for a downtown hub like Rideau. It is far less confusing to deal with wayfinding on a concourse level instead of the platform level.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I'm surprised they are going for two separate ticketing concourses instead of one large central hall connected to all exits. I hate these types of stations where if you happen to be on one end of the train and the specific exit is down the other end of the platform. It's fine for outlying stations but not great for a downtown hub like Rideau. It is far less confusing to deal with wayfinding on a concourse level instead of the platform level.
I agree; it would be wise to connect the two sides, give people more options.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
most depressing thing I read in that report: we're three weeks from the SEVENTH anniversary of the NCC-Claridge Agreement to develop Phase I of the Flats.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:13 PM
National Capital Region

The Alstom rolling stock is apparently going to be a new variant of the Citadis, to be known as the Citadis Spirit:

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...s-for-ottawa-/

"The new Citadis Spirit that Alstom is launching in the North American market will have many features that accommodate Ottawa’s particular needs. Designed in a high capacity version, it will be able to operate in extreme winter conditions. It will also benefit from a top speed of 100 km/hour (65 mph), reducing travel time between suburban areas and the City Center. As all Alstom trams, it will have a full low-floor accessibility and onboard bicycle storage. Alstom will build the vehicles in America and assemble them in Ottawa."

http://www.alstom.com/Global/Transpo...rit_ottawa.jpg

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The Alstom rolling stock is apparently going to be a new variant of the Citadis, to be known as the Citadis Spirit:

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...s-for-ottawa-/

"The new Citadis Spirit that Alstom is launching in the North American market will have many features that accommodate Ottawa’s particular needs. Designed in a high capacity version, it will be able to operate in extreme winter conditions. It will also benefit from a top speed of 100 km/hour (65 mph), reducing travel time between suburban areas and the City Center. As all Alstom trams, it will have a full low-floor accessibility and onboard bicycle storage. Alstom will build the vehicles in America and assemble them in Ottawa."

http://www.alstom.com/Global/Transpo...rit_ottawa.jpg
Great find, thanks!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:23 PM

that's a pretty sharp nose.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:40 AM

Quote:
I agree; it would be wise to connect the two sides, give people more options.
I always prefer two exits as it cuts down on walking time. You quickly learn which end of the train to board for your destination. It is also nice to see an actual Market entrance, in addition to the Rideau Centre entrance.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I always prefer two exits as it cuts down on walking time. You quickly learn which end of the train to board for your destination. It is also nice to see an actual Market entrance, in addition to the Rideau Centre entrance.
For sure; the more entrances, the better. I hope that it also connects to the Bay and the Rideau Centre expansion's Ogilvy corner.

But I still think they should have full length concourses at all three downtown subway stations.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
For sure; the more entrances, the better. I hope that it also connects to the Bay and the Rideau Centre expansion's Ogilvy corner.

But I still think they should have full length concourses at all three downtown subway stations.
Wouldn't this be substantially more expensive?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 2:33 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Wouldn't this be substantially more expensive?
Possibly, but it would be worth the money. Practically all the stations in downtown Montreal have full-length or centralized concourses. Track level platforms don't make for good decision points, there are people waiting or madly dashing to catch a train, and sudden rush of an exiting crowd when a train arrives. A poor hesitant clueless soul trying to figure out the right exit in the middle of this is either a nuisance or a hazard. It's best to keep it simple so that every stair/escalator from the platforms goes up to the same concourse where the choices for exits can then be made.

Looking at what's proposed, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable effort to unite the two concourses:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation