HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's Grand Central. This new tower is supposed to have a direct connection, like some of the old towers in the area. East side access is bringing the LIRR into Grand Central, which will be the lowest of levels.

http://www.mta.info/capconstr/esas/image_gallery.htm

If you look at the very bottom, it appears that that is a new HSR rail station / tracks below the ESA tunnels?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 9:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
If you look at the very bottom, it appears that that is a new HSR rail station / tracks below the ESA tunnels?
I have to go back and look at it. Grand Central's stacking with rail and subway is complex.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I have to go back and look at it. Grand Central's stacking with rail and subway is complex.
The upper rails below the terminal are the Metro North.

The tunnel below that must be the ESA, correct?

Below that, I assume this is the proposed HSR train that would go to Boston via the inland route (Amtrak HSR Plan). The trains are even dipicted as bullet trains with those streamlined noses.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Could be.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/12/...x-deal-making/

Midtown East planned rezoning will require complex deal-making
Negotiations that would normally occur in the shadows will likely take place in the spotlight

December 17, 2012
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposal to incentivize large office construction on the East Side of Midtown will require some of the city’s most aggressive developers to convince smaller property owners to make a deal. Builders such as Extell Development, Starwood, Solow Development and the Durst Organization own pieces of parcels that would need to be assembled to conform to the proposed upzoning. They will need to acquire parcels from much smaller organizations, such as Brause Realty, Samson Management and Kensico Properties.

Additionally, the city has identified 10 sites as the most likely to be developed, although it says there are as many as 38 potential sites in the 74-block zone between 39th and 57th streets, east of Fifth Avenue — reaching almost to Second Avenue. The Real Deal, using the property database the city included in an analysis of the rezoning proposal, identified all 32 owners of the available parcels within those 10 sites.

What we found was that in five of the sites, a single company owns the property. The most prominent example is SL Green Realty, which last week released a sketch of its planned tower 1 Vanderbilt, which would be built on land it owns between Madison and Vanderbilt avenues and 42nd and 43rd streets.

The other companies that own the entire parcels are RHC Operating, the Pakistani government-controlled company that owns the Roosevelt Hotel; a joint ownership entity composed of Tishman Speyer Properties and the Korean National Pension Service, which own 300 Park Avenue; Intercontinental Hotels Group, which owns the hotel at 111 East 48th Street; and the investment fund TIAA-CREF, which owns 425 Park Avenue.

But in the remaining five sites, the developer will need to make a pitch to get all the smaller owners on board — and do so under the glare of the spotlight. One example includes Extell Development, which purchased a portfolio of parking garages last year including 138 East 50th Street, between Lexington and Third avenues. The city expects the site will be developed with a hotel that could be as large as 924,893 square feet. But first Extell would have to strike deals with hotel giant Starwood Capital Group, as well as the smaller players Ramosar Realty, San Carlos Building Corp., and Samson Management.

Another parcel has no large developer in control. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority in February put 341, 345 and 347 Madison Avenue, between 44th and 45th streets, on the market, and that buyer would control most of the potential site. The city also includes 52 Vanderbilt Avenue, owned by long-time real estate investment firm Brause Realty, as well as the Yale Club at 50 Vanderbilt Avenue, in the projected development parcel. A builder would have to convince both those owners to sell if that site were to be developed into what the city says could be as large as 1.5 million square feet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:25 PM

So, according to that article, Extell's development site on 50th Street allows for nearly one million square feet of space.

Given that the site is quite narrow, I think we will get another supertall. Extell doesn't mess around, and the site's dimensions likely mean a very tall tower.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Given that the site is quite narrow, I think we will get another supertall. Extell doesn't mess around, and the site's dimensions likely mean a very tall tower.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that article.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 1:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Rezoning of the district should be complete in few months, making change on the site all the more likely, though it will be years before anything happens.

(December 31, 2012)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 1:50 PM

I bet you that Hyatt hotel on the other side of Grand Central is a goner too.

I know that hotel is a huge earner for Hyatt, but the site is probably too valuable to not have a landmark tower, at least eventually.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:40 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I wouldn't 'miss it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:42 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
^ I wouldn't 'miss it.
Same here!

I like what I see so far.

With 57th street getting all of the media attention these days, it's refreshing to see 42nd street get some development.

Now if the city can fix its aging gas lines so that we don't experience another explosion which happened several years ago, then there shall be hope for this stretch of 42nd street.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
With 57th street getting all of the media attention these days, it's refreshing to see 42nd street get some development.

Now if the city can fix its aging gas lines so that we don't experience another explosion which happened several years ago, then there shall be hope for this stretch of 42nd street.
Those old gas line and water main breaks are what keeps things exciting! (joking of course)

But I do like that the older parts of town are in on the major changes coming. For so long, all of the attention on new developments and skyline changes centered on the "new" west side, and the rebuilding World Trade Center. But there's still some excitement to be seen on the east side as well as midtown north. I honestly can't tell you at this point which is the single most exciting project on the boards. But I'm still expecting a spectacular project here, something worthy of Grand Central and the Chrysler.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 7:53 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/ny...ects.html?_r=0

Developers and Unions Seek Relaxed Limits on Midtown Projects

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
January 31, 2013

Quote:
...prominent developers have forged an unusual alliance with labor and the construction industry to lobby for rules to allow a new crop of skyscrapers around Grand Central Terminal.

They are seeking to go further than the Bloomberg administration, which has proposed zoning changes that would enable developers to build office towers in some cases twice the size currently permitted. The new alliance is pressing the administration to loosen its proposed rules so that more skyscrapers can be built on more sites, at a quicker pace and at a lower cost.

Nervous that the Council could scuttle the proposal and eager to make changes to the city’s plan, the real estate industry decided to build a united front with unions representing construction, building maintenance and hotel workers. Real estate executives credit Rob Speyer, a developer and the new chairman of the Real Estate Board, with the new strategy. “Business and labor have a lot of common interests,” Mr. Speyer said. “We want to focus on our common ground. We’re sending a strong message to elected officials that labor and business are united on a given issue.”

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 7:58 PM
Editor

Quote:
^ I wouldn't 'miss it.
I like this new proposal better than the Hyatt, but I've always liked the reflection of Grand central on that large mirrored side.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:40 PM

Donald Trump owns the Grand Hyatt

Yes, it is a huge earner, but if he gets the right price or proposal for it, it will be gone. I am sure a big hotel or multiple hotels will be integrated into many of the new towers, if nothing else to replace the rooms lost when the Hyatt goes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:46 PM
King

Question

Hate to revive an old conversation topic, but is that a giant underground cavern carved under grand central? I can't begin to think of how immense of a task that would be, but it would be truly amazing in my opinion.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/48564

EDIT:

Yup, it is. I love to see innovation like this.

Lit by large lightwells

Last edited by Mr. Lion; Jan 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
Hate to revive an old conversation topic, but is that a giant underground cavern carved under grand central? I can't begin to think of how immense of a task that would be, but it would be truly amazing in my opinion.

EDIT:

Yup, it is. I love to see innovation like this.

Lit by large lightwells

Those trains appear to be HSR. I think that the Amtrak plan to put HSR through GCT was dropped recently due to added cost.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Those trains appear to be HSR. I think that the Amtrak plan to put HSR through GCT was dropped recently due to added cost.

I don't think so, I always thought it was just a completed vision of the East Side Access project?

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
If you want to know more about what's underneath Grand Central, watch this video.

Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post
Yes, it is a huge earner, but if he gets the right price or proposal for it, it will be gone. I am sure a big hotel or multiple hotels will be integrated into many of the new towers, if nothing else to replace the rooms lost when the Hyatt goes.
The rezoning includes room for hotels, most of which would be built on current hotel sites. Trump isn't involved with the Hyatt anymore.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/business/12hyatt.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I like this new proposal better than the Hyatt, but I've always liked the reflection of Grand central on that large mirrored side.
Would they really build something much taller than the chrysler right next door to it?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post

I don't think so, I always thought it was just a completed vision of the East Side Access project?

Video Link
Explain then what are the tubes in the middle? Surely that is the ESA with its 8 tracks and its mezzanine passing between the upper and lower platforms as depicted on diagrams of the project. That leads me to believe that the lowest tracks are for a new HSR rail station (which has been proposed before for Amtrak's new HSR plan) that would link Penn to GCT and onward toward New England. However, this has since been dropped from the current HSR plan. It could also be a commuter tunnel to Penn station for New Jersey Transit trains.

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive