Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons
I think that's what Vancouver actually needs, though. It would break from the monotony of the point towers. There is no focal point in the city's dowtown. No Transamerica Pyramid, No Space Needle, No CN Tower, No Pearl Tower. Nothing really that bold.
|
To be honest, I don't think Vancouver has really reached the point where something such as The London Shard, Transamerica Pyramid, or the CN Tower is warranted.
Yes, we're an up-and-coming town, but until Vancouver lists among the Alpha cities, such giant, landmark buildings would be ostentatious and pretentious, given the level the city is at today. In 20 years perhaps, when it's more vital and very much "on the map" economically, then perhaps a major iconic building would be in order. But I think such an idea is a bit premature ... for the time being.
Personally, I prefer more understated, yet elegant, architecture that speaks for itself, rather than some humungous structure acting as a "cheerleader" for the city. An example of what I mean is the upcoming MNP tower