HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4781  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 6:42 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I think UTA should focus on partnering with developers and cities to develop high density around each Front Runner and Trax station. Doing that will boast ridership and increase the money coming into the overall system, resulting in less tax payer money subsidizing the system. It will never be a subsidy free system, but adding capacity on rail lines is much more cost effective than adding capacity on bus lines or adding more lines.

As for the Payson extenstion, that will be built when the new express bus service from Payson, to Spanish Fork to Provo FrontRunner, shows the demand for the cost of the extention.
Additionally I think there should also be a focus on locating regional/interregional attractions (like the aquarium) adjacent to FrontRunner/TRAX stops. That would also improve ridership as well as connectivity. Furthermore, a train ride always makes a family outing more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I also agree that UTA should take a little time off building new lines and focus a bit on improving the current system. It's been quite a shock to the community opening so many lines in succession. I don't think the break should be twenty years though. I think a good 2-3 years to focus only only the current system, implementing a distance-based fare, and planning would do a lot of good.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
That's unfortunate. I ride the bus every day and it is a mostly wonderful experience. Try it again sometime.
Like
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4782  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:24 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Additionally I think there should also be a focus on locating regional/interregional attractions (like the aquarium) adjacent to FrontRunner/TRAX stops. That would also improve ridership as well as connectivity. Furthermore, a train ride always makes a family outing more interesting.
I agree, the Aquarium was VERY short sighted in there location decision. Locations have just got progressively worse, since the original proposal. 400 S and 500 W (I believe), then the small installation tucked away in the north end of The Gateway, then to a suburban Sandy location (at least it was near some residential) now in Draper on a mostly commercial business park type street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4783  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:31 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I was looking at photos that someone posted of the sugarhouse street car tracks...

Will the street car just be a single track with one car that runs back and forth??
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4784  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:18 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I was looking at photos that someone posted of the sugarhouse street car tracks...

Will the street car just be a single track with one car that runs back and forth??
For the most part yes.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4785  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:36 AM
Reachforthesky Reachforthesky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 207
Kennecott, Downtown Alliance offer free UTA passes on red air days

Just saw this on Fox 13!

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/22/kennecott-downtown-alliance-offer-free-uta-passes-on-red-air-days/

Kennecott Copper Utah and the Downtown Alliance have teamed up to offer free UTA day passes on red air days.
Commuters who fill out an online form and pledge to only use the pass on red air days will be able to use it on buses and on TRAX.
For more information, visit kennecott.com.


http://kennecott.com/pledge-receive-free-uta-day-pass
Nice! Every little bit helps! I applaud them for this!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4786  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Just saw this on Fox 13!

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/22/kennecott-downtown-alliance-offer-free-uta-passes-on-red-air-days/

Kennecott Copper Utah and the Downtown Alliance have teamed up to offer free UTA day passes on red air days.
Commuters who fill out an online form and pledge to only use the pass on red air days will be able to use it on buses and on TRAX.
For more information, visit kennecott.com.


http://kennecott.com/pledge-receive-free-uta-day-pass
Nice! Every little bit helps! I applaud them for this!
I was really excited about this, but I am a little skeptical after looking at the website. Can you only get one pass? Could I get a pass, and then get another one after that for the next red air day? If it is a "one pass, per person, per household" limit and you can never get another one, then I think it is nice publicity for Rio Tinto without any real effect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4787  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 2:31 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
My friend was on frontrunner today and the train conductor said that anyone that is in the military, a firefighter, or a policeman can ride UTA for free as long as they have their service ID on them. Anyone else heard of this before?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4788  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 4:11 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
For the most part yes.
There will be two trains that run on the line. They'll meet at 500 East going the opposite direction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4789  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 3:44 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post
My friend was on frontrunner today and the train conductor said that anyone that is in the military, a firefighter, or a policeman can ride UTA for free as long as they have their service ID on them. Anyone else heard of this before?
Yes, this is true. As long as I had my badge with me I was able to ride Trax or the bus. I never tried Frontrunner, but I know it worked for the others.
__________________
Giant Meteor 2024
Just end it all already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4790  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 6:55 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
2 recent articles regarding Envision Utah's efforts in transportation related concern

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55325064-78/canyons-transportation-lake-salt.html.csp
Quote:
Canyon transportation plans gathering momentum

Wasatch Mountains » Environmental study recommended as next step in planning for growth while protecting canyons.


By Mike Gorrell

| The Salt Lake Tribune


First Published Nov 21 2012 03:44 pm • Last Updated Nov 22 2012 09:50 pm

Cottonwood Heights • Never has there been more momentum than now for finding solutions to transportation problems in Wasatch Front canyons, particularly Little Cottonwood and Big Cottonwood.

A chorus of disparate voices echoed that sentiment Wednesday as Salt Lake County formally released three canyon transportation studies produced locally during the past year. Those voices included Carl Fisher, executive director of the conservation group Save Our Canyons, and David DeSeelhorst, owner of Solitude Mountain Resort, individuals who don’t often share similar perspectives.



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/54737412-79/salt-utah-center-creek.html.csp
Quote:
Envision Utah honors efforts for quality growth

Awards
» City Creek, Salt Palace solar array among those recognized.


The Salt Lake Tribune


First Published Aug 22 2012 07:31 am • Last Updated Aug 22 2012 07:33 pm

Six entities have received Envision Utah Governor’s Quality Growth Awards for innovations that enhance the quality of life in Utah.

The private-public partnership recognized the efforts earlier this week at a ceremony at the Governor’s Mansion in Salt Lake City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4791  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 4:56 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
With all of the talk and press about our horrible inversions, it might be a perfect opportunity for public transit incentives.

UTA, the Utah Legislature, and possibly the EPA/Federal Government should together and offer a reduced fare on UTA based on our "Green/Yellow/Red" air days. They could even add a "Black" air day when it gets as toxic as it was last week.

It might be as follows:
  • Green—no incentive
  • Yellow—15% discount
  • Red—30% discount
  • Black—50% discount
They might find that the public begins using it more, and when air qualities are better, they continue riding.

Public transit is a perfect venue to help reduce pollution levels.

I'm sure the FrontRunner engines use the same amount of fuel per trip whether they pull three cars (as they do now) or five or six cars. I doubt the engine would even feel the difference. UTA doesn't necessarily need to increase the number of trips, just capacity on bad air days.

The negative press might give the EPA a reason to require FrontRunner to be converted to electric sooner than anticipated.
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4792  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:38 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Heard on the radio this morning that there was an accident on 2100 south involving a TRAX train.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4793  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 8:29 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post

It might be as follows:
  • Green—no incentive
  • Yellow—15% discount
  • Red—30% discount
  • Black—50% discount
I think the discounts should be more drastic than that. Transit should be FREE on days like the ones we've seen this week. The vast majority of UTA funds come from sales tax anyway, and it would be of the best interest of everyone if the government paid for transit on such days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4794  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 8:32 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
With all of the talk and press about our horrible inversions, it might be a perfect opportunity for public transit incentives.

UTA, the Utah Legislature, and possibly the EPA/Federal Government should together and offer a reduced fare on UTA based on our "Green/Yellow/Red" air days. They could even add a "Black" air day when it gets as toxic as it was last week.

It might be as follows:
  • Green—no incentive
  • Yellow—15% discount
  • Red—30% discount
  • Black—50% discount
They might find that the public begins using it more, and when air qualities are better, they continue riding.

Public transit is a perfect venue to help reduce pollution levels.

I'm sure the FrontRunner engines use the same amount of fuel per trip whether they pull three cars (as they do now) or five or six cars. I doubt the engine would even feel the difference. UTA doesn't necessarily need to increase the number of trips, just capacity on bad air days.

The negative press might give the EPA a reason to require FrontRunner to be converted to electric sooner than anticipated.
I like the list. I think the values are a bit to high to make to many move from cars to transit.

There has been a push to give free trax/buses on red air days. I think this would be a good way to introduce more people to transit.

I would adjust the list to the following:
  • Green—no incentive
  • Yellow—50% discount (Trax/Buses only)
  • Red—100% discount (Trax/Buses only) 50% Discount (Frontrunner)
  • Black—100% discount (All transit options)

I think this would encourage more people to use transit and as people become adjusted to transit, we can over the course of 10 years, adjust the fees to your list above.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4795  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 8:32 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that there was an accident on 2100 south involving a TRAX train.
It could be because of snow on the roads. Last night into this morning I guess all the plow drivers took the day off since this morning NONE of the roads were plowed. For some reason redwood NEVER gets plowed. For some reason we seem to have a issue with plow drivers taking too long to clear these roads or they don't at all.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4796  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 9:36 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that there was an accident on 2100 south involving a TRAX train.
I guy was hit by the Trax train and pinned and dragged underneath the train, serious non life threatening. He was trespassing on the tracks about 100' north of 2100 S, fell and got pinned. He didn't get run over by the wheels, thus why he is in serious and not critical condition or even dead.

Once again a trax accident that was 0% UTA's fault.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4797  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I like the list. I think the values are a bit to high to make to many move from cars to transit.

There has been a push to give free trax/buses on red air days. I think this would be a good way to introduce more people to transit.

I would adjust the list to the following:
  • Green—no incentive
  • Yellow—50% discount (Trax/Buses only)
  • Red—100% discount (Trax/Buses only) 50% Discount (Frontrunner)
  • Black—100% discount (All transit options)

I think this would encourage more people to use transit and as people become adjusted to transit, we can over the course of 10 years, adjust the fees to your list above.
I was being conservative, and I like the way you break it out based on transit mode.

In a way, I was offering smaller discounts to possibly discover where the ticket price "sweet spot" would be where ridership is at a maximum, while operational costs are still covered at the same rate.
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4798  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,742
Tygr, I hope your proposal is one of those "Great Minds Think Alike", and it actually is implemented by those in power. To me, it should be a no-brainer, after what happened this past January.

Many Wasatch Fronters must quit thinking that inversions are a necessary evil, that one must pay to live in one of the World's most beautifully situated Metros.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4799  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:32 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Tygr, I hope your proposal is one of those "Great Minds Think Alike", and it actually is implemented by those in power. To me, it should be a no brainer after what happened this past January.

Many Wasatch Fronters must quit thinking that inversions are a necessary evil, that one must pay to live in one of the World's most beautifully situated Metros.
My girlfriend, who is a news reported did a story about the inversion last week and one of the people she interviewed, but didn't put on air, was fine with the planet being destroyed by the pollution, such as our nasty inversion last week, because it will bring the coming of Christ sooner. WOW!

This could go a long way in reducing pollution.
Coming soon, the car that runs on air: Peugeot Citroen unveil new 117mpg hybrid (and it's £1,000 cheaper than a Prius)


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...html?goback=.gde_116818_member_208311179
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4800  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:53 PM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Just saw this on Fox 13!

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/22/kennecott-downtown-alliance-offer-free-uta-passes-on-red-air-days/

Kennecott Copper Utah and the Downtown Alliance have teamed up to offer free UTA day passes on red air days.
Commuters who fill out an online form and pledge to only use the pass on red air days will be able to use it on buses and on TRAX.
For more information, visit kennecott.com.


http://kennecott.com/pledge-receive-free-uta-day-pass
Nice! Every little bit helps! I applaud them for this!
I went ahead and did this and I've got to say that I am pretty disappointed. As the man that was quote in the article said, I feel that it is a nice effort but doesn't come close to overcoming the negative impacts on air that Kennecott has. It took about 3 mail days (not including Sunday) to actually get my pass. It is good for TRAX and buses or $5.75 towards a frontrunner pass. I went to go see if I could sign up for another one but the site was closed. Who knows if it will open up again during the next red air day.

I think this was just a PR scam that Kennecott will use at some future day to say that they offered free public transit to offset their impact on the air. It isn't going to have any, or extremely little, impact on getting people on public transit, since it can only be used once ever 3 or four days (due to the time it takes to get in the mail), and who knows if it will be available again. Also, the publicity about it was horrible. Only fox13 covered the story, not the Trib, KSL, or the deseret news. It makes me think that they did not want to publicize it so that fewer people would take advantage of it, costing them less money.

I love the idea of Kennecott offering free public transit to offset their impact on the air. However, this was a disingenuous attempt that I think they will eventually promote themselves as a green company.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:24 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.