Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto
Hm, interesting. It might be more of an Ontario or Eastern Canada thing. I know that if you read about a crime in the papers here, the suspect is still described in feet, inches, and pounds, because that's what most folks understand.
|
Yeah, for example any tree or plant book about BC gives dimensions in cm and meters. For example, Douglas Firs are the tallest trees in Canada, growing as tall as 100 meters (historically) but regularly reach 70 to 90 meters in height (lifted directly from my trees of coastal BC book).
Also all our new bridges being built are always expressed in km and meters for span lengths and widths (I am sure there is the odd publication in feet if you dig around hard enough, but for the most part it is metric, thats why I was surprised to see the new Windsor bridge being talked about in feet, not meters). For example, the new Port Mann was always advertised as 2.2 KM in length and its width in meters. As are road shoulder widths and lane widths.
For towers, feet does not mean anything to me, and I have to convert them to meters if mentioned in feet in the east to make sense of it.
As for describing suspects, they usually post both here (cm / feet and kilo / pounds) helps out the older generation.