HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2001  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 9:31 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Just another quick note, a lot of plans have been submitted in the past few days for new multi-family residential developments in the city. The impact fees go up in 2013 pretty significantly so developers have been rushing to get things in the system prior. I don't have lots of details yet but when I have them, I will share them. There are a few hundred new apartments proposed in and around downtown.
     
     
  #2002  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 9:44 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Why are the fees going up?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2003  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Here's a partial update of the downtown federal courthouse. It seemed like they had decided not to use the stainless steel rods on the exterior of the building, and that it was going to look like a boring glass curtainwall cube. But, I was wrong. The hooks are in place as you can see, and when the sun hits it just right, it should gleam quite magnificently.





     
     
  #2004  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just another quick note, a lot of plans have been submitted in the past few days for new multi-family residential developments in the city. The impact fees go up in 2013 pretty significantly so developers have been rushing to get things in the system prior. I don't have lots of details yet but when I have them, I will share them. There are a few hundred new apartments proposed in and around downtown.
That sounds very encouraging! A few hundred as in a few hundred more apartment units, I'm assuming. Though, it would be awesome if you meant a few hundred apartment developments.
     
     
  #2005  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 11:42 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I would like to take this time to wish everyone a happy new year. Could 2013 be the year we will finally see renderings and ground broken for the following projects?........PAC and Tower?.....CC Hotel?....and do I dare say the Salt Lake Airport? Let's keep the development ball rolling SLC.,
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2006  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:31 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
I haven't done a photo update in a long time. Any requests from out-of-towners?
     
     
  #2007  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 6:11 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Also, I noticed something interesting when watching TV in NY, the majority of the commercials seemed to be filmed in either CA, NY, or Utah, with quite a large number of commercials filmed in Utah (some labeled as Utah and some I just recognized as Utah).

I was just watching CNN and saw another commercial shot in Utah (Park City).

• Video Link
     
     
  #2008  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 1:46 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
The former Barnes Bank Building which is the old building just north of the Public Safety Building which is under construction is owned by the city. Once the Public Safety Building is completed the city is going to market the property for development. They're interested in a mixed use project with an emphasis on multi-family residential.
It will be interesting to see what they do with this building. UTPlanner, do you know yet if they will be adding additional sq. ft. of structure to the drive-in and parking areas? It would be great if they would bring the redevelopment right up to the street.


http://www.njraarchitects.com/commercialPg.html

Last edited by delts145; Jan 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
     
     
  #2009  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 1:54 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I haven't done a photo update in a long time. Any requests from out-of-towners?
Wow SLCdude, I think my wish list would be too long. Anyway though, you still owe me that promised update of the IHC on 900 E. Anything and everything relating to the many residential projects going on downtown lately would be great.
     
     
  #2010  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 6:25 PM
LookUpSLC's Avatar
LookUpSLC LookUpSLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SLC
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post

Here is a link to the Regional Transportation Plan, click on the transit section at the bottom to learn more about future plans for transit in the valley: http://wfrc.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=78
It might be me--not finding it--but I couldn't see any mention of Utah County/Provo in the future transit plan documents in the link. It focuses on Weber, Davis and SL counties. Nothing of Utah, as far as I could see. Am I missing it?

Also, I would love to see pics of new businesses that have sprung up on Main Street. Maybe a pic of what it was before the new business.
     
     
  #2011  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 7:04 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Progress on the new condos by Gateway would be nice. Maybe an update on North Temple?
     
     
  #2012  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 8:39 PM
Wasatch_One's Avatar
Wasatch_One Wasatch_One is offline
Wen Lambo
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
It might be me--not finding it--but I couldn't see any mention of Utah County/Provo in the future transit plan documents in the link. It focuses on Weber, Davis and SL counties. Nothing of Utah, as far as I could see. Am I missing it?

Also, I would love to see pics of new businesses that have sprung up on Main Street. Maybe a pic of what it was before the new business.
Here is the link that shows the TRAX extension down to Thanksgiving Point - http://wfrc.org/cms/rtp_amendments/April_2009/RTP%20Transit%20Projects%2028Aug08.pdf
     
     
  #2013  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:30 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I was just watching CNN and saw another commercial shot in Utah (Park City).

• Video Link
Hey everyone, long time lurker but thought I would finally join. Hope everyone has a good new year.

As far as commercials with Utah, I saw a cool one on new years eve. There was a really awesome Google commercial that was essentially a time lapse of events over the last year. You can see an extended version here (the original was about 30 seconds, but it an awesome commercial so check out the whole thing):

• Video Link


If you go to 2:27 it has a second clip from the color fest at the hari krishna temple in Spanish Fork. This clip was also on the actual 30 second commercial. It was cool to be watching the year in review and see something that has become such a fun tradition in my own life here in Utah.
     
     
  #2014  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:57 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
welcome slc801. good to have another lurker coming on and adding to our discussions.
     
     
  #2015  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:34 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wow SLCdude, I think my wish list would be too long. Anyway though, you still owe me that promised update of the IHC on 900 E. Anything and everything relating to the many residential projects going on downtown lately would be great.
I have some photos of the new IHC building. I think it is very encouraging to see something develop directly to the street, instead of the typical strip mall development on 400 s.
     
     
  #2016  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 11:50 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Agree Orlando. Hopefully, the remake of the Barnes Bank building plot will move some development density up to the street. Looking at this pic again, I'm not quite sure how much room there is between the street and the current structure. I'm assuming this pic was taken from the curbside.


http://www.njraarchitects.com/commercialPg.html

Last edited by delts145; Jan 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM.
     
     
  #2017  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:03 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Study: Transit to new areas and infill housing helps environment

By Amy Joi O'Donoghue, Deseret News - Published: Sunday, Dec. 30 2012

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86556...nd-infill-housing-helps-environment.html

SALT LAKE CITY — A new federal report says putting up houses where buildings once existed — such as former industrial sites, underused retail centers or slums — will not only increase property values but will also help the environment.

The Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Sustainable Communities released an analysis of residential construction trends in the United States, particularly looking at "infill" housing that goes in on already developed land...


...What the report found is that the Salt Lake metro area ranked 12th among 51 large metro areas with its amount of infill housing as a percentage of new housing.

That ranking puts it ahead of neighboring metro areas such as Denver, and outpaces cities like Washington, D.C., and Boston...


     
     
  #2018  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:39 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Here's an interesting article in Forbes about the move to retailers in urban/downtown areas.

Return to the City: Renewal of Inner City Retail Stores


http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2...res/?goback=.gde_116818_member_200089961

One note of caution thought, don't take all the information in the article as proof of inner city renewal. The Nordstrom Rack in Cleveland example, is a new store opening in a lifestyle center 16 miles NW or downtown Cleveland, in a wealthy suburb, yes it includes housing and does have bus access, but it is no way connected to the inner city.
     
     
  #2019  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:40 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Eco)nomy_404 View Post
I struggle to understand why the Census Bureau still considers Provo-Orem separately from the Salt Lake City CSA yet includes Ogden-Clearfield...
I don't know if geographical boundaries have any influence, but Ogden-Clearfield is technically in the Great Salt Lake Valley while Provo-Orem is in Utah Valley.

I know that's contrary to what most people think; that Salt Lake Valley is only Salt Lake County.
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
     
     
  #2020  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:06 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Any redevelopment on the former Barnes Bank site would probably include a complete demolition of the existing building. The building is in extremely poor shape internally. I would assume that any development that is approved by the city would bring the structure closer to 400 South.

Somebody asked why impact fees were going up earlier. The reason is because the cost of a development's impact on specific city services has increased. When a city increases an impact fee, a study must be completed showing what the actual impact of a residential unit will be on each service the city provides. An impact fee only covers an increase in the need of the service. So impact fee money can only be utilized when a project is increasing the ability to use it. For example, it can't be used to pave a road but it can be used to widen the road.

Also for transit information on Utah County here is a link to a proposed transit buildout: http://www.mountainland.org/site/downloa...ion_Plan/Maps/2011_MTP_Transit_11x17.pdf
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.