HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10281  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:28 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,394
We’re building a new SeaBus!

The newest SeaBus will look a lot like the Burrard Pacific Breeze - Photo by Charlotte Boychuk.


It’s official. We’ve awarded a contract to have a second replacement SeaBus built!

via >> http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2012/12/were-building-a-new-seabus/
__________________
Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3
     
     
  #10282  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:28 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
NOOO they are going to scrap the otter? They should keep it around.
     
     
  #10283  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:58 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,394
prepare some clean shorts .... AMAZING VIDEO TIME

• Video Link
__________________
Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3
     
     
  #10284  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:34 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
We’re building a new SeaBus!

The newest SeaBus will look a lot like the Burrard Pacific Breeze - Photo by Charlotte Boychuk.


It’s official. We’ve awarded a contract to have a second replacement SeaBus built!

via >> http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2012/12/were-building-a-new-seabus/
The front and rear windows on the Breeze are high off the floor - you can't easily see out when seated.
     
     
  #10285  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:26 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,394
this one has been posted here before I think but deserves it again

• Video Link
__________________
Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3
     
     
  #10286  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:44 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
IMO, they should have kept the carpet. I would have loved to roll around on the soft, plush, modern floor today.
     
     
  #10287  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:55 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Amazing videos with some EPIC 80s music, indeed.

Vancouver was so advanced with SkyTrain back in 80s. Too bad the further expansions have taken so long. I do wonder how the ridership was in the early years, as the first video shows that there is no density anywhere along the line. Such a different view from today's...
     
     
  #10288  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:35 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
This one has been posted before too (a couple of times, possibly), but it is simply the absolute best early Skytrain documentary:

• Video Link
     
     
  #10289  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:43 AM
CoryHolmes CoryHolmes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,031
Well. Translink seriously disappointed me this morning. Given the road conditions had just started turning to ice when I was due to head out to work (10:30 am) I decided I'd take the bus, since the 640 heads right by my factory.

I show up at quarter to 11 at the Scott Road loop (to give you an idea, the last time I took the 640 bus the loop was on the OTHER SIDE). Next bus scheduled for 11:05am.

11:05 comes and goes. No bus.
11:10. Same deal.
11:25.
11:35, the next scheduled bus. No arrivals. No nothing.
11:45 still nothing. By now I'm more than an hour late.

I tried call Translinks number, but on each of my 10 tries the phone was busy. Which is in and of itself perfectly understandable given the volume of calls they had to be fielding, but at the very least they could've put some Skytrain attendants at the stations and bus loops whom could use their nifty shoulder-mounted radios to keep tabs on what was going on where.

Absolutly zero communication from Translink to us riders about what was going on with our busses. No idea if the line had been cancelled for the day or what.

Finally, after more than an hour of waiting for that friggin' bus, I went back home and hopped in my car. The drive took 35 minutes due to traffic.
     
     
  #10290  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:07 AM
Tfreder Tfreder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Well. Translink seriously disappointed me this morning. Given the road conditions had just started turning to ice when I was due to head out to work (10:30 am) I decided I'd take the bus, since the 640 heads right by my factory.

I show up at quarter to 11 at the Scott Road loop (to give you an idea, the last time I took the 640 bus the loop was on the OTHER SIDE). Next bus scheduled for 11:05am.

11:05 comes and goes. No bus.
11:10. Same deal.
11:25.
11:35, the next scheduled bus. No arrivals. No nothing.
11:45 still nothing. By now I'm more than an hour late.

I tried call Translinks number, but on each of my 10 tries the phone was busy. Which is in and of itself perfectly understandable given the volume of calls they had to be fielding, but at the very least they could've put some Skytrain attendants at the stations and bus loops whom could use their nifty shoulder-mounted radios to keep tabs on what was going on where.

Absolutly zero communication from Translink to us riders about what was going on with our busses. No idea if the line had been cancelled for the day or what.

Finally, after more than an hour of waiting for that friggin' bus, I went back home and hopped in my car. The drive took 35 minutes due to traffic.
I can admit, that does sound like a simple solution. However, pretty much EVERY bus route outside of Vancouver/Richmond was at least 30 minutes behind schedule. I heard from someone that at one point every bus that was on the 100 route was stuck at 22nd st station (all 10+ of them ). It was the same situation for buses running out of Scott Road Station due to gridlock. It really was a commute from hell, and I don't even want to think about tomorrow
     
     
  #10291  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 9:11 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Well. Translink seriously disappointed me this morning. Given the road conditions had just started turning to ice when I was due to head out to work (10:30 am) I decided I'd take the bus, since the 640 heads right by my factory.

I show up at quarter to 11 at the Scott Road loop (to give you an idea, the last time I took the 640 bus the loop was on the OTHER SIDE). Next bus scheduled for 11:05am.

11:05 comes and goes. No bus.
11:10. Same deal.
11:25.
11:35, the next scheduled bus. No arrivals. No nothing.
11:45 still nothing. By now I'm more than an hour late.

I tried call Translinks number, but on each of my 10 tries the phone was busy. Which is in and of itself perfectly understandable given the volume of calls they had to be fielding, but at the very least they could've put some Skytrain attendants at the stations and bus loops whom could use their nifty shoulder-mounted radios to keep tabs on what was going on where.

Absolutly zero communication from Translink to us riders about what was going on with our busses. No idea if the line had been cancelled for the day or what.

Finally, after more than an hour of waiting for that friggin' bus, I went back home and hopped in my car. The drive took 35 minutes due to traffic.
You could either track the bus online from nb.translink.ca or text the stop number to 33333 to get the estimated next bus arrival time.

The entire 312, 316, 319, 640 group were running 60-90 minutes late yesterday...
     
     
  #10292  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 9:37 AM
Dave2 Dave2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
prepare some clean shorts .... AMAZING VIDEO TIME

• Video Link
Metrotown station. Big enough for a town centre. Too small for a metropolis.
     
     
  #10293  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:32 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,301
Friend posted this yesterday.

     
     
  #10294  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:41 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
my friend in new west was stuck waiting an extra long time as well due to the snow
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #10295  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:13 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,406
New West also seems to forget to bother with snow removal or sanding/salting.
     
     
  #10296  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:21 PM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
They probably do that deliberately to get people to avoid driving through the city.
     
     
  #10297  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:55 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,067
If anything the trollies are a part of the problem in weather like this. I posted a pic in the Canada weather forum of one stuck on the slight grade at Main and 15th. They get stuck then a huge back up develops behind them and transit users are stranded.
     
     
  #10298  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:40 PM
xd_1771's Avatar
xd_1771 xd_1771 is offline
(daka_x)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Amazing videos with some EPIC 80s music, indeed.

Vancouver was so advanced with SkyTrain back in 80s. Too bad the further expansions have taken so long. I do wonder how the ridership was in the early years, as the first video shows that there is no density anywhere along the line. Such a different view from today's...
If those 80s guys could skip the 90s-2000s growth and time travel to today to see what SkyTrain has turned into after 25 years..... the look on their faces

They really built a great system for the future. In the 1970s there were plans to build out SkyTrain with on-street LRT segments.... all I can think is what a disaster that would be for the region.
     
     
  #10299  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:08 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,301
But the road was closed between 10th Ave and and 15th Ave in Burnaby. The buses had no problems getting up there from New West Station...
     
     
  #10300  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
CoryHolmes CoryHolmes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Friend posted this yesterday.

What app is this?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.