Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker
As for CP Rail, they are special since they are pretty exempt from planning controls on their own land I think. I think the rail lines pay taxes or some kind of alternative payment, but I could be wrong.
|
Railway companies pay property taxes on all property they own, including the rail lines themselves (i.e. not just yards). It's a bit of a scam, really, since no other form of transport has to pay property taxes on the right of way that they use. For some rural municipalities, especially those in Ontario along the CPR and CN mainlines between Toronto and Montréal, it amounts to a significant portion of their revenue.
Railway-related works on federally-regulated railway property are not subject to provincial or municipal planning oversight, but I don't believe that goes so far as to include a new head office. I am pretty sure that stations can be built on railway property without planning permission, though.