HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1781  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:27 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
That is a great photo thread, thanks for posting!
     
     
  #1782  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:20 AM
Jumpur's Avatar
Jumpur Jumpur is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
This is crazy, seeing these plans. I had no idea that this even existed. I have always noticed that our city is one of the only ones that I know without a freeway system surrounding all sides. I guess this definitely would have helped the traffic and maybe even prompted more businesses to come to downtown... Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23289357
     
     
  #1783  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:44 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpur View Post
This is crazy, seeing these plans. I had no idea that this even existed. I have always noticed that our city is one of the only ones that I know without a freeway system surrounding all sides. I guess this definitely would have helped the traffic and maybe even prompted more businesses to come to downtown... Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23289357

Thank god that it doesn't.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1784  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:47 AM
Jumpur's Avatar
Jumpur Jumpur is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
But really, haha. The last thing we need is a freeway that slams through the middle of downtown like the 110 does in LA

Last edited by Jumpur; Dec 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM.
     
     
  #1785  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:57 AM
Nikodemuss Nikodemuss is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpur View Post
This is crazy, seeing these plans. I had no idea that this even existed. I have always noticed that our city is one of the only ones that I know without a freeway system surrounding all sides. I guess this definitely would have helped the traffic and maybe even prompted more businesses to come to downtown... Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23289357
This would have absolutely destroyed the east side so incredibly bad. I am so thankful that this never got off the idea board.

p.s. I've been a LONG (like 2 or 3 years) lurker this is my first post! (I guess its my 12th post and not my 1st! Oops.)
     
     
  #1786  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:35 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Okay. Note the poll results on that KSL story:

Do you think the highways would have been a good idea?
1. Yes: It would have really helped the current traffic situation.
41% (410)
2. No: It's good that we preserved those historic neighborhoods.
38% (380)
3. Unsure: It's hard to tell without the roads implemented.
20% (200)

Really?! Either readers of KSL.com are more asinine than average or that really reflects how our city's inhabitants view preservation of neighborhoods. Regardless, the fact that 410 people exist in this city that think those freeways would have been a good idea is mind-boggling.
     
     
  #1787  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:13 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
We didn't need it then, and we don't need it now!
     
     
  #1788  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:23 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
I'm betting 398 of those people just think it would have been cool to have the tunnel part going under Capitol Hill.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #1789  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:18 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I'm betting 398 of those people just think it would have been cool to have the tunnel part going under Capitol Hill.
If I knew the poll was there I would have voted no. Though a tunnel would be cool, but in today's environment it would never get built. The government wouldn't allow a tunnel under its buildings. Just think of the crazy person driving a large van or semi under, park it, and blowing it up.
     
     
  #1790  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:28 PM
jmonkey's Avatar
jmonkey jmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post
It looks so lonely.
Like a Borg cube, alone in endless space.

Thanks for all the great photos, scottharding!! I really appreciate the effort and contribution to the group!

I am really liking the Public Safety Building too, especially the plaza side. still reserving judgement on the south end of the building. I drove by it the other day on 500 South, and thought it was pretty meh, but I believe it isn't complete yet. The building is especially impressive because it came out of such a collaborative and open public process. I feel like the building was designed very well to balance all the input they got from the citizens of the city. It really is a great piece of the city 'civic campus'. I'm looking very much forward to seeing it complete.

The long public process for the Federal Courthouse was of course not anywhere near as open as open as the city's, and I think you really see a difference in the end result. We've got a little ways to go still with the courthouse, and its design has been softened a bit, but I still really feel the end result will be hostile to public and the surrounding streets. At least there won't be a wall along 400 South, but it's still set in the middle of an empty, impenetrable plaza.
     
     
  #1791  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 1:19 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,743
I like that the exterior treatment of the Courthouse is unique to the CBD.
     
     
  #1792  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:34 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,743
Looking at Scott's recent photo spread of Downtown made me wonder about Gallivan Plaza's makeover. Of course, so
much attention has been focused on CCC, that the new Gallivan has kind of taken a back seat. I'm excited to see how
it turned out. Those of you who are there often, what do you think? From what I can tell in various pics, it looks pretty
cool.


www.dailyutahchronicle.com

Last edited by delts145; Dec 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM.
     
     
  #1793  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:46 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I'm pretty happy with Gallivan's make-over. I think it was a good move. There is much more room in the amphitheater and the skating rink is bigger and both were need desperately. The other thing that's cool, is at the end of the new building they put a little shop where you can rent skates and get snacks, and they have a nice selection of food if you're spending an evening there. It has been insanely busy there every night the last two weeks.
I think the traffic flow through Gallivan is a lot better now for when it's really busy.
Cool pic, by the way.
     
     
  #1794  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 6:58 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Can someone remind me what the solid red, blinking red, solid blue and blinking blue means weather wise again on the Walker Center?
     
     
  #1795  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 8:59 PM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
blue: clear skies
flashing blue: cloudy skies
red: rain
flashing red: snow
     
     
  #1796  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 2:39 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
They really ought to have rebuilt the stage. Something a little larger and a modern design matching the new building on 100 South.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I'm pretty happy with Gallivan's make-over. I think it was a good move. There is much more room in the amphitheater and the skating rink is bigger and both were need desperately. The other thing that's cool, is at the end of the new building they put a little shop where you can rent skates and get snacks, and they have a nice selection of food if you're spending an evening there. It has been insanely busy there every night the last two weeks.
I think the traffic flow through Gallivan is a lot better now for when it's really busy.
Cool pic, by the way.
     
     
  #1797  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 4:03 AM
WASDEN's Avatar
WASDEN WASDEN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kailua HI
Posts: 391
I kind of liked the old Galivan better, with the actual walled in ice rink that was filled with chubby gold fish during the summer. With that feature out of the way it makes room for larger events (although less intimate). One of the most stuffy events I remember at the old Galivan was one of the free summer concerts- Chevelle- which was awesome, but the Galivan was hardly the right venue for that show. Pioneer Park would have better accommodated the crowd. The makeover is nice enough looking but I think the old arrangement had more of a "sense of place" and catered nicely to the smaller events it was intended for.
     
     
  #1798  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 5:24 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I know this is way too late but someone asked about German food in SLC. Siegfried's Deli on 200 South, near the Capitol Theater has great German food. It is very authentic. It is one of my favorite places downtown.

Speaking of restaurants, 222 S. Main is getting two of them in their lobby: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/55436549-79/leed-restaurants-222-building.html.csp
     
     
  #1799  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 5:31 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


That is fantastic news for 222 and Main St. 222 retail space will now be fully occupied or just one tenant shy or being fully occupied. 222 has a total of 9,000 retail sf, the two restaurants take up 6,500 sf, so depending on how much space Image Eyes Optical has at the north end it may now be fully leased.

I'm glad to see even more restaurants on Main.
     
     
  #1800  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 5:46 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I know this is way too late but someone asked about German food in SLC. Siegfried's Deli on 200 South, near the Capitol Theater has great German food. It is very authentic. It is one of my favorite places downtown.

Speaking of restaurants, 222 S. Main is getting two of them in their lobby: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/55436549-79/leed-restaurants-222-building.html.csp


Agreed on Siegfried's. In fact, now that I read that, I can't un-read it. I'm going to have to go there soon for lunch.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:08 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.