HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:17 AM
musicman musicman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 270
Really great shots. Anybody know if we are going to see a third crane this weekend?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:53 AM
Aya_Akai's Avatar
Aya_Akai Aya_Akai is offline
Dartmouth Girl
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Weekly updates:





Good lord I can't wait till they start working on re-cladding/revamping/whatever it is they're doing on those apartments on the other side of Brunswick. lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 6:01 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,000
Thanks for the updates. It will be great to see 3 cranes on this site.

I agree about the apartments across Brunswick. It's good that there is residential in this area but there's very little street life because of the blank walls, pedestrian-hostile street design, and pedway system. Cogswell and Brunswick reminds me of a suburban intersection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 10:56 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
This is f'n epic!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 10:57 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
We should have some of these developments in the highrise forum to give Halifax some exposure.

There is a 12 story in NFLD on there... and I don't event know if that is technically a highrise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 12:22 PM
Nifta Nifta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Good lord I can't wait till they start working on re-cladding/revamping/whatever it is they're doing on those apartments on the other side of Brunswick. lol
Really? Are there announced plans for this? It'd be extremely cool if they did. Even painting some of the faded panelling, like they did on the Cambridge Suites a few months back, would be great!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:00 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
We should have some of these developments in the highrise forum to give Halifax some exposure.
I occasionally repost some of the updates in the Canada section.

Halifax is also missing a bunch of diagrams. Not sure how active the illustrators are now. Kelvin Fields used to do tons of them but I haven't seen him around in a long time. Archix is Architype I think.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 3:45 AM
SekishikiMeikaiHa's Avatar
SekishikiMeikaiHa SekishikiMeikaiHa is offline
積屍氣冥界波
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I occasionally repost some of the updates in the Canada section.
Thanks for doing that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 2:25 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
To be in here would it be required for a thread to be posted initially?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 6:48 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,000
That section is one thread per development. I believe anybody can make threads there, but I'm not sure what the rules are.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That section is one thread per development. I believe anybody can make threads there, but I'm not sure what the rules are.
Thanks for the info. I just found it odd why the 12 story in St. John's made it in there when we have several 16+ story buildings going up at the moment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 10:39 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,000
It just depends on who wants to make a thread I guess.

I don't know if that section makes much sense, particularly with the locals. Halifax alone has a dozen or more highrise projects on the go, although few of them would be interesting to people in other cities (I think Fenwick actually is unusual as a rehab of a large concrete residential tower). There must be hundreds of similar projects in cities like Shanghai or Hong Kong. The supertall threads make a bit more sense since there aren't many of those.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 12:26 AM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It just depends on who wants to make a thread I guess.

I don't know if that section makes much sense, particularly with the locals. Halifax alone has a dozen or more highrise projects on the go, although few of them would be interesting to people in other cities (I think Fenwick actually is unusual as a rehab of a large concrete residential tower). There must be hundreds of similar projects in cities like Shanghai or Hong Kong. The supertall threads make a bit more sense since there aren't many of those.
It would be nice to see Halifax in that section. When a thread is established, I would like to follow it. Please let me know when it is done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 6:03 PM
SekishikiMeikaiHa's Avatar
SekishikiMeikaiHa SekishikiMeikaiHa is offline
積屍氣冥界波
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 405
Pouring concrete for the third crane:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 7:34 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
Amazing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #456  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 3:53 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,000
It is an impressive construction site.

Somebody on flickr posted a picture from the Commons. I didn't really think about how the Citadel Hotel buildings would be visible from that angle:


Source
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #457  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 10:15 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What's the general consensus amongst Haligonians regarding the design? I'm not sure its an improvement on what its replacing.
Massive improvement... maybe not cladding-wise, but in every other way...

1) There was no real "tower" before... now there will be 3.
2) Its not a huge suburban parking lot as before... it addresses the corner and street like urban buildings should.
3) Much taller than what was there before.
4) One of the buildings is residential and the hotel looks like it will be higher capacity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #458  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 1:02 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is an impressive construction site.

Somebody on flickr posted a picture from the Commons. I didn't really think about how the Citadel Hotel buildings would be visible from that angle:


Source
Waterside crane?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #459  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:36 PM
SekishikiMeikaiHa's Avatar
SekishikiMeikaiHa SekishikiMeikaiHa is offline
積屍氣冥界波
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 405
That's the Citadel Halifax crane.

Building the crane base:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #460  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:52 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086


The downtown has never seen three cranes at a single site, eh?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.