HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10221  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 9:07 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I like this graph but shouldn't commercial / broadway be partial Expo blue and partial M-Line orange?
TransLink does not separate Expo and Millennium line in the counting (they're in the same gated area anyways)...
     
     
  #10222  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
city-dweller's Avatar
city-dweller city-dweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 357
30k for Joyce is interesting. Higher than I would have thought. Also, I would be interested in current olympic village numbers or mid-2013 and main street with the increase in residents and businesses.
     
     
  #10223  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
westward ho

Of all the M-Line stations, Lougheed is by far the busiest. The volume there will (obviously) only get bigger when the Evergreen Line joins there. With many M-Line stations relatively less busy, (take Sapperton), it might be assumed that the majority of M-Line passengers at Lougheed are more likely to be headed downtown, to UBC, or along the Broadway Corridor.
Admittedly, they might be bound for New West itself, or Surrey, but might have less need to go to Metrotown, as there is a large shopping centre already at Lougheed. (pure conjecture, of course)
Nevertheless, would the "autopsy" done of the graph not add even greater emphasis to the validity of making the Broadway extension (as far as it'll reach) the number one priority in the scheme of things?
     
     
  #10224  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 8:48 AM
Mousey Mousey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 110
Would love some help with this since I know nothing about Downtown and transit.
Need to get to Homer@Helmcken for 3:15pm this afternoon. Live in North Delta. Only skytrain station nearby there is Yaletown/Roundhouse. I am planning to drive to either South Surrey P&R and take the 351 to Bridgeport, or drive to Ladner and take the 620 to Bridgeport. Basically which one has better parking? I am planning to leave roughly around 1pm. I will be returning home at 4:30pm, so definetly want to be on the south side of the river to avoid major traffic delays going home. Also, how well do the buses that go down the 99 SB through Richmond, deal with Tunnel delays? Are both P&R's free?
     
     
  #10225  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 3:53 PM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
South Surrey P&R is free, but I doubt you will be able to find a spot. I'd bet my chances on Ladner or Scott Road station (either of these could be full too, I just would not use South Surrey). If you take Scott Road, take Expo to Waterfront or Granville, transfer, and get off at Yaletown Roundhouse.
     
     
  #10226  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 4:55 PM
Tfreder Tfreder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 225

I also recommend that you avoid the South Surrey P&R at that time. The place usually starts to empty at around 3:30-ish, so there's not a good chance that you'll be able to find a spot there.

If you live in north delta, driving down to ladner and then taking the bus to bridgeport + sky train to yaletown would take about an hour. It would be much easier for you to just drive to scott road, take the skytrain to waterfront, and then transfer to the canada line to yaletown. It would probably only take you about 45 minutes.

However if you do decide to do the Ladner option, the 620 and the 601 both go to bridgeport along the same route. The hwy. 99 heading buses heading southbound utilize bus lanes up until the approach to the tunnel, so they don't really have to deal with a lot of traffic.
     
     
  #10227  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 6:39 PM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
From North Delta to downtown, the only two options that make sense are to drive to Scott Rd. park & ride or drive to Bridgeport park & ride. It doesn't make sense to drive to South Surrey or Ladner.
     
     
  #10228  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:31 AM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Of all the M-Line stations, Lougheed is by far the busiest. The volume there will (obviously) only get bigger when the Evergreen Line joins there.
Lougheed's boardings may go DOWN when the Evergreen line goes in. It's a MAJOR transfer hub for buses and it's likely that a large number of those buses come from the PMC corridor. Passengers on the 97 B-Line, the #151, #156, #143 will either run along the corridor or pass a station like Burquitlam.

Generally high boardings at a terminus station indicate a strong demand for transit to be built out further. Interesting to look at King George/Surrey Central stations. They're so close to each other that you could argue that they're both terminus stations as far as buses go. Combine those two and you get a LOT of boardings.

The other stations on the M-Line are predictable.
  • Braid has 8 bus-lines from Coquitlam/Port Coquitlam/Burnaby/Maple Ridge.
  • Production Way has SFU
  • Brentwood has a bunch of condos, 5 bus routes and a town centre
  • There's not a lot around Sapperton and VCC-Clark
  • Sperling and Holdom are mostly surrounded by houses and served by a couple of buses, as are Rupert and Renfrew
  • Lake City... until Burnaby decides to do something with the area, will be dead for a long time.

I can't say I'm SURPRISED at any of the results, but it is interesting that the Expo Line's worst performer (Royal Oak) has more people using it than the bottom 66% of M-Lines.

The Canada Line is performing quite well for such a new line, with exceptions going to the Airport's tertiary stations and Olympic Village.

It's interesting that the stations that were added (Olympic Village and Lake City) are among the lowest performers. I guess the ridership models that they used to determine which stations to add worked (or they used common sense).
     
     
  #10229  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:47 AM
Mousey Mousey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 110
I actually have to admit that I enjoyed the trip today. Hadn't rode on the skytrain in over a year as I drive everywhere with the exception of downtown. Parked at Scott Rd. Station that most of you mentioned. Easily found parking, even though I got lucky there was a spot close, and it ended up being a quick walk. I decided on a Day Pass as I save $1. Took Expo to Waterfront and then Canada Line to Yaletown, and vice-versa for way home. Both trips were less than 45 minutes. I also loved that all 4 skytrains I was able to sit down. That's why I hate transit so much, but I did not mind it today. Nice getting on the Expo Line in rush hour out of Downtown, and being able to sit all the way to Scott Rd.
     
     
  #10230  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:58 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
Glad you enjoyed your trip. I've never owned a car and get by just fine, most recently spending about $40/month on transportation due to working from home. I'm sure that it can take some adaptation, but once you do, it isn't all that bad.

Is anybody else unreasonably excited about the plethora of data that will be available (within Translink, anyways) once Compass/Faregates get implemented? Imagine having a data point for every single boarding, knowing the exact trip of every single rider, identifying patterns, forecasting demand, integrating trip and route data with GIS algorithms... Oh my. It will take service optimization to a whole new level.
     
     
  #10231  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:18 AM
bardak bardak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip. I've never owned a car and get by just fine, most recently spending about $40/month on transportation due to working from home. I'm sure that it can take some adaptation, but once you do, it isn't all that bad.

Is anybody else unreasonably excited about the plethora of data that will be available (within Translink, anyways) once Compass/Faregates get implemented? Imagine having a data point for every single boarding, knowing the exact trip of every single rider, identifying patterns, forecasting demand, integrating trip and route data with GIS algorithms... Oh my. It will take service optimization to a whole new level.
I am excited however I'm curious how much data they will release to the public.
     
     
  #10232  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:29 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
I am excited however I'm curious how much data they will release to the public.
Probably very little due to potential privacy concerns, but it should increase what is released in aggregate, as well as create a more efficient system, better planning, as well as make the work for the planners much more interesting.
     
     
  #10233  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:01 AM
CoryHolmes CoryHolmes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip. I've never owned a car and get by just fine, most recently spending about $40/month on transportation due to working from home. I'm sure that it can take some adaptation, but once you do, it isn't all that bad.
I was once like you, Young Grasshopper. I've lived in the Lower Mainland for over 11 years now and spent at least 7 of those taking transit. I couldn't rave enough about the flexability of transit, the ease of getting to and fro, the lack of parking issues.

Then I got my car due to it being a really, really good deal at the time. It cut my commute to work from an hour each way to 20 minutes (depending on traffic). And for those 20 minutes, I'm sitting in a nice, plush seat that's not too small or too hard, I'm not dealing with idiots talking way too loudly on their cells or practicing their raps obnoxiously loud...

I've used the trains and busses a few times in the last 2 years, but it's just not the same. It's great not having to deal with parking, but trying to schedule my day around someone else's idea of running times is a pain.
     
     
  #10234  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:04 AM
Mousey Mousey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 110
lol, I got used to the luxury of your own car. Get coffee whenever I please, cup holders, listen to music as loud as I want, answer the phone not having to worry about people eavesdropping. Not bumping in to people, or having to get up for eldery people. It sounds horribly selfish, but unless you had to commute 2 hours everyday by car, how could you want to take transit over all that? You also get to go exactly where you need to.

I only need to make this trip once a month, but transit seems like the best option. During the week park at Scott Rd. and do what I did today, Weekends park at Bridgeport and Canada Line to Yaletown.
I did see 3 things that reminded me why I love my car. VPD decided to arrest a homeless man for trying to ride the Seabus for free. Said either pay the ticket or be fined $173 and taken away. He can't afford it anyways, so I did not really understand the waste of time it was for everyone involved, since he was arrested and taken away. Let the police officers do real work... Two people yelling/fighting with eachother at Broadway. And just weird people in general who get on the skytrain.
     
     
  #10235  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:02 PM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
I structure my life around transit, so it works well for me, but that wouldn't work well for everybody or the price of properties around SkyTrain stations would be 5x what they are now. I live a 2 minute walk away from a station, and prior to my current home, it was the same but with a commute that took the same time in a car as on transit. My only inconvenience is visiting family in White Rock, where it takes 90 minutes each direction rather than the 30-45 by car. That is my productive time, however.

I certainly enjoy the freedom of a vehicle when I rent 4x/year (as well as the ability to go hiking/kayaking/gallivanting whenever I want), but I just can't justify it for myself at present. Now, If I lived SoF or Tri-Cities, there is a definite justification!
     
     
  #10236  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:23 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I can't say I'm SURPRISED at any of the results, but it is interesting that the Expo Line's worst performer (Royal Oak) has more people using it than the bottom 66% of M-Lines.
They were much worse before. In 2006, Braid and Brentwood have about the same boarding count as the lowest-performing Expo Line stations. The next few have about 1/2 of the boardings, and the bottom few, besides Lake City, have about 1/4. Currently, the three groups sit at about 10% more, 2/3, and 1/2 respectively. If the current trend continues, it only take 5-7 years for about half of the lower performing stations on the M-Line to catch up.
     
     
  #10237  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
The ridership levels at the stations are a function of the M-Line being a "growth-shaping" exercise, rather than a "growth-serving" exercise.

The one oddity that jumps out is Olympic Village Station - it's in a largely built up area (False Creek South, and will see upside with SEFC), but its ridership is low. I suppose the close proximity to Broadway City-Hall Station also impacts ridership too.
     
     
  #10238  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The one oddity that jumps out is Olympic Village Station - it's in a largely built up area (False Creek South, and will see upside with SEFC), but its ridership is low. I suppose the close proximity to Broadway City-Hall Station also impacts ridership too.
Yes, the density around OV station is really north, towards broadway. OV Station is really not that close to the OV itself. Main St. is much closer for people living there.

As that empty land to the east of the Cambie bridge gets developed, we'll see more traffic at the OV station. And of course if there was a streetcar link to Granville Island...
     
     
  #10239  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:20 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
I was actually thinking more of the condos to the north near the water - Leg in Boot Square, around Monk's, etc.
Does sort of support the original designation as a "future" station.
     
     
  #10240  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:28 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was actually thinking more of the condos to the north near the water - Leg in Boot Square, around Monk's, etc.
Does sort of support the original designation as a "future" station.
I believe the City of Vancouver's reasoning behind building Olympic Village Station also had to do with redeveloping the site the station is on...it's supposed to be a very significant development with entertainment facilities which I believe included floating around the idea of a multiplex theatre.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.