HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1061  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
Halifax Hillbilly Halifax Hillbilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 708
If we are going to talk about fairness, how would it be at all fair to enforce some rules and not others? If this gets approved, and I'm the developer of Fenwick, I'm probably not too happy that I had to spend $800,000 to redesign a plan for an existing building in order to get around view legislation by a handful of feet, but Skye Halifax blows through the rampart view guidelines.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1062  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:06 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
The comments on the CBC story are an interesting mix of comments. lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1063  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:08 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,982
I don't think that council should arbitrarily approve something in violation of the ramparts bylaw and I don't think that's what will happen. Originally I had hoped that there would be a separate debate on the ramparts bylaw before the vote on Skye.

And I'm not sure why the Fenwick debacle should become the new gold standard for following the rules. That ordeal was fundamentally unnecessary.

Something else to keep in mind is that every developer has the same procedures at their disposal, even though some may choose to challenge rules and request variances while others may not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1064  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:40 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
The rhetoric about this proposal on Twitter and Facebook is getting out of hand; people saying it will screw over downtown, or that it will destroy Halifax as we know it, etc.
It's ridiculous the overstatement people will gravitate toward using, just to defend their feelings about something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1065  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:11 PM
lmccabe55's Avatar
lmccabe55 lmccabe55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 14
Skye was rejected 9-6 in the vote today (via News 95.7 reporter @BrynnELangille)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1066  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:12 PM
Duff's Avatar
Duff Duff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West End Halifax
Posts: 337
The 6 that voted in favor Skye were Whitman, Adams, Fisher, McCluskey, Hendsbee & Dalrymple.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1067  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:31 PM
mcmcclassic's Avatar
mcmcclassic mcmcclassic is offline
BUILD!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
The 6 that voted in favor Skye were Whitman, Adams, Fisher, McCluskey, Hendsbee & Dalrymple.
Hendsbee voting for it doesn't surprise me, but McCluskey voting for it does. I thought Gloria hated anything new and especially things that don't benefit her riding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1068  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:32 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
The 6 that voted in favor Skye were Whitman, Adams, Fisher, McCluskey, Hendsbee & Dalrymple.
And in a big surprise, Mayor Savage actually stepped down to voice his opinions on the matter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1069  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:34 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
Hendsbee voting for it doesn't surprise me, but McCluskey voting for it does. I thought Gloria hated anything new and especially things that don't benefit her riding.
She might be becoming a bit senile. She is openly pro-Dartmouth/anti-Halifax so maybe she thought if it was built it would kill downtown and send all the development to Dartmouth?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1070  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:37 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
Oh, wow...

Well, personally, I am disappointed. I genuinely liked this proposal, and not out of some sick desire to wish something I dislike on Halifax. I think it would have been a benefit to Halifax.

However, your concerns about the developer did concern me as well.

And, beyond that... congratulations to everyone who was opposed. I'm genuinely happy for you - and curious to see what the next proposal will be!
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1071  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:41 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
It's not really that big a loss, as my expectations that [if approved] it would have ever been built were pretty low.

I really wish something would get built on that site though, it's been a black hole for far too long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1072  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 8:11 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
The 6 that voted in favor Skye were Whitman, Adams, Fisher, McCluskey, Hendsbee & Dalrymple.
The way I understand it, they weren't votes for Skye, they were votes to continue with the public hearing process.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1073  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 8:21 PM
Duff's Avatar
Duff Duff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West End Halifax
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The way I understand it, they weren't votes for Skye, they were votes to continue with the public hearing process.
You are correct. I should have phrased it differently.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1074  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 8:29 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh, wow...

Well, personally, I am disappointed. I genuinely liked this proposal, and not out of some sick desire to wish something I dislike on Halifax. I think it would have been a benefit to Halifax.

However, your concerns about the developer did concern me as well.

And, beyond that... congratulations to everyone who was opposed. I'm genuinely happy for you - and curious to see what the next proposal will be!
Concerns about the developer aside: I'm thrilled that HRM_by_Design's relevance remains intact.

The downtown's building boom may now continue to grow!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1075  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 8:36 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
If they voted no for it...is there a right of appeal?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1076  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 8:41 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I think the quote in the herald from Mayor Savage is quite correct. It's not fair to hold one developer to one standard and everyone else to another.

I made this comment in the CBC post: stay the course, the plan is working and build up using the existing height standards. Then review the plan every few years (say every 5). Once we have more buildings in the 20 storey range, it makes it easier to do a little update to the heights to then allow up to 30 stories. Once you have the context, you can point it out and it supports your argument.

Then you let them build more at 30 stories, update again and push to 40. It's all part of very smart strategy I would take...you get what you want, but over time and then you get to distribute the density over the whole area rather than 🞵🞵🞵🞵 it up in one spot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1077  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 9:35 PM
hoser111's Avatar
hoser111 hoser111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 353
I expect UG to come back to the table with a 300 meter Burj Halifax!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1078  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
Thank god this was rejected. Let's see a real proposal for this site.

Can they still build TS heights?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1079  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Maybe their backup plan is a Space Needle!
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1080  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,982
I don't know what they'll do now but like I said it would be reasonable to extend the original DA but let them update the building design. A design under HbD would also be fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.