Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding
|
Water, health care, police, electrical grid, airports, parks, community centers etc... are all subsidized. Are you trying to say that we are losing money on these?
The reason roads are subsidized is because they are the life blood of our cities. I am all for bike lanes but not at the expense of our quality of life, because that;s exactly what you accomplish when you reduce overall mobility.
You like to bring up Denmark...Once again.
65.7% of all travel distance is by private vehicle.
60% of all trips are by private vehicle when commuting.
86.2% of all freight tons are transported by truck (nationally).
28.4% of all freight tons are transported by truck (internationally) compared to 8% by train.
http://www.trm.dk/~/media/Files/Publicat...012/Facts%20and%20Figures-netversion.pdf
Oh and yes they have oil pipelines as well...
http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/norway_sweden_denmark_pipelines_map.jpg
Anyways your first link is from the municipality of Copenhagen, not even the metro, its just like taking a study, say a viaduct study from the city of Vancouver and presenting it as fact...crazy I say. Your second link makes a good point, per user transit is subsidized double that of road transport (not even taking in to account goods movement in which case the difference would be astronomical)...what percentage of our population uses transit, and what are we left with when we subtract, students, seniors and the poor?. Yet probably (and im guessing here as I dont even feel the urge to find the real numbers) 95+% of our economy is directly reliant on our road infrastructure. By the way that study is 20 years old...
But hey like I said I am for bike lanes, but not at the expense of our mobility. Look if I were to give up my car my maximum productivity would probably drop by 90%, I would contribute a fraction what I do now back to society...and I work remotely most of the time.
It just bugs me so much when people spin facts like this, especially when they pull out the roads are subsidized card...it's just so absurd imo. sorry.
sorry if i took this off topic.
Build bike lanes, plan for them in new developments, don't build them at the expense of overall mobility. That's like building a wheel chair ramp and complaining no one uses it, so you go break someones legs so they are forced to use it and then you pat your self on the back about how successful the ramp is...
The world is a little more complicated then this.
Back to your point, the bike share program has been a money pit just about everywhere. 2 million is allot of money, and I will bet it will be several times more, every year. These things add up and next thing your looking at is huge deficits.
http://www.troymedia.com/2012/06/29/beware-the-hidden-costs-of-bike-sharing-programs/ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7881079.stm
There should be NO subsidy for the bike share program, at the most a one time LOAN and no and I mean no bail outs, that should be etched in to stone. Then I will support it and believe me if someone can make it work then I will be happy.