HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5861  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 3:34 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,884
cityplace is only half-finished. and even if we drop to 5,000 a year, that is what Montreal is at right now. even that isn't END OF THE WORLD AHHHHHHHHH!!!1!!11!11!!!
     
     
  #5862  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 3:40 AM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
cityplace is only half-finished. and even if we drop to 5,000 a year, that is what Montreal is at right now. even that isn't END OF THE WORLD AHHHHHHHHH!!!1!!11!11!!!
CityPlace is more than half finished. Quartz and Spectra are under construction and the only remaining proposals are Lumen (which will consist of two towers) and the ever-mysterious Signature Tower.
     
     
  #5863  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 3:45 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,884
note how I said FINISHED, I.E. open, with people living in them. when it comes to sales, and highly likely completion, we are looking at around 7/8th completion.
     
     
  #5864  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 4:35 AM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
note how I said FINISHED, I.E. open, with people living in them. when it comes to sales, and highly likely completion, we are looking at around 7/8th completion.


From: Urban Toronto circa 2007



Finished:

Apex 1 & 2
Matrix 1 & 2
Optima
Harbourview Estates 1, 2, 3, 4 & Loft
West One
N1/N2
Montage & Neo
Luna
Panorama
Parade East
Canoe Landing Park


Effectively Finished: (literally weeks away from opening)

Parade West
Puente de Luz Bridge


Pouring Concrete:

Quartz & Spectra (Note: Not part of the original CityPlace master plan. Land purchased by Concord later.)


Sales:

Lumen (Note: Not part of the original CityPlace master plan. Land purchased by Concord later.)


Urban Legend:

Signature Tower



I'd call that far more than only half finished.
     
     
  #5865  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 4:47 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,884
I was thinking the general area, rather than just concord adex developed land.

we still have:

quartz
spectra
lumen
2 more towers to be announced on lumens block (small towers, but still towers)
signature tower
loblaws in that old warehouse
library condos
block 32 housing
that block that was supposed to be a school but is now sitting in limbo

that is 10 unfinished projects..
     
     
  #5866  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 4:51 AM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I was thinking the general area, rather than just concord adex developed land.

we still have:

quartz
spectra
lumen
2 more towers to be announced on lumens block (small towers, but still towers)
signature tower
loblaws in that old warehouse
library condos
block 32 housing
that block that was supposed to be a school but is now sitting in limbo

that is 10 unfinished projects..
Yeah, I guess if you're including other projects in the neighbourhood (plus don't forget the LRT ROW). I was thinking more along the lines of CityPlace proper as conceived by Concord. I'd still call the CityPlace neighbourhood as a whole about two thirds complete.

Why are we bickering over this anyway?
     
     
  #5867  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 5:09 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,884
Exactly lol

For some odd reason I am extremely excited for the Vaughn office building, despite it being a small box in the suburbs.. Weird. I honestly don't know why I am so excited for it.
     
     
  #5868  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 5:45 AM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,812
Because Vaughan is starting to take baby-steps towards becomming another Mississauga?
     
     
  #5869  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:46 AM
The Gibbroni The Gibbroni is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Yeah, I guess if you're including other projects in the neighbourhood (plus don't forget the LRT ROW). I was thinking more along the lines of CityPlace proper as conceived by Concord. I'd still call the CityPlace neighbourhood as a whole about two thirds complete.

Why are we bickering over this anyway?
Yeah CityPlace! International showpiece of progressive planning.

How's that masterpiece bridge doing? I heard it had its grand opening..
     
     
  #5870  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 7:01 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I do think the planning is pretty good (though I'm certainly no expert)... but I'd hardly call it a showpiece. They tried to make it visually appealing but they should have attempted... a bit better.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #5871  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 7:04 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Because Vaughan is starting to take baby-steps towards becomming another Mississauga?
I'd say "another Burnaby", as Vaughan will actually have rapid transit by the time part of this financial core is built, while Mississauga and Brampton will still be arguing over funding of their LRT.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #5872  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 2:58 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I do think the planning is pretty good (though I'm certainly no expert)... but I'd hardly call it a showpiece. They tried to make it visually appealing but they should have attempted... a bit better.
I disagree. Nice to look at. Pretty tall buildings. But not great from a connectedness and planned point of view.

Here is some gas to that fire: http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/is-cityplace-torontos-next-ghetto/
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #5873  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 4:38 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Well if it does turn into a ghetto, it'll be the nicest ghetto I've seen anywhere
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #5874  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 7:32 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
/\ If this were the 1960s, we might have been saying the same of St. James Town...
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #5875  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:03 PM
Vertigo3000 Vertigo3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Well if it does turn into a ghetto, it'll be the nicest ghetto I've seen anywhere
The ghettos that exist in Canada are barely ghetto, if this is considered ghetto, I don't want to know what more than half of what the US is. We use the word ghetto so loosly in Canada, I've been through cityplace, it takes two minutes to get out of it on foot, theres plenty of stuff there too, like Sobeys. Cityplace has more to offer than my neighborhood, there is nothing but a private school for skiers. Getting out of cityplace was so easy, if you find it difficult to sacrifice two minutes of your time, then you need to find a better way to deal with your problems. Cityplace in no way, is a ghetto
     
     
  #5876  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:26 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
I'm not saying it is. I linked to the article to show some feedback I had read last year. The reality is, it is an esthetically pleasing place with lots of general amenities that can pay higher CRU lease rates and sign long-term leases (grocery store, bank, bank, restaurant, bank, etc.) It takes the "Vancouver Model" of podium/tower, but blows it out of proportion. It does have nicely designed, landscaped portions, and some much needed field space too. The biggest drawback in my mind is the separation from the rest of the city, no matter how small it is. It is an island unto itself separated by lakeshore blvd/gardiner to the south, rail to the north, bathurst and spadina. The biggest barrier being north and south, obviously.

It isn't a BAD neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination, and any city would kill to have something like CityPlace adjacent to downtown. However, my personal preference prefers other Toronto communities to CityPlace, and that is fine.
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #5877  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:36 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Here's a rendering of a new apartment building proposed by Southwest Properties for Hollis and Sackville Street in Halifax:



The report included a rendering done from the Citadel showing some other proposed buildings. There will also be 3 towers (Nova Centre) in the foreground that are not shown.



Report: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/121108drc000.PDF

I made this simple rendering of Hollis Street a while ago. The foreground green building is under construction (RBC Waterside) and the far building is the newly proposed Southwest tower. Far in the back you can see the red balconies of the Vic apartments that were recently completed. It all makes for a fairly impressive "canyon" appearance with a nice mix of new and old buildings:

     
     
  #5878  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 9:11 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
^Would The Alexander/Brewery Market Tower be visible from that view Someone123?

Also it should be noted the Citadel Hill rendering does not include the United Gulf site proposals that are across the street (nearer to the hill) from this project. The report states that including the previously approved project (Twisted Sisters) would completely hide the new proposal from the view. Presumably the proposed new project (Skye Halifax) which is much taller would do the same.
     
     
  #5879  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 9:18 PM
Bankview's Avatar
Bankview Bankview is offline
Ach, du.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Downtown - Vancouver, BC
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
I'm not saying it is. I linked to the article to show some feedback I had read last year. The reality is, it is an esthetically pleasing place with lots of general amenities that can pay higher CRU lease rates and sign long-term leases (grocery store, bank, bank, restaurant, bank, etc.) It takes the "Vancouver Model" of podium/tower, but blows it out of proportion. It does have nicely designed, landscaped portions, and some much needed field space too. The biggest drawback in my mind is the separation from the rest of the city, no matter how small it is. It is an island unto itself separated by lakeshore blvd/gardiner to the south, rail to the north, bathurst and spadina. The biggest barrier being north and south, obviously.

It isn't a BAD neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination, and any city would kill to have something like CityPlace adjacent to downtown. However, my personal preference prefers other Toronto communities to CityPlace, and that is fine.
Like with everything in life, time will make all the difference for CityPlace. It's still a child in terms of it's growth stage and its connection to the city. As the developers move on to greener pastures and the area matures into an actual established neighborhood within the city you'll see the quirks and charm sprout up.

Example: I live in Coal Harbour in Vancouver, fully built out to any reasonable extent and let me tell you, IT IS STERILE. But slowly the infill is creeping onwards, a couple shops open here and there. Voila, you have the fresh shoots of a vibrant community in the future. I've seen a definite improvement and things will only go up from here.

Were errors made, of course.
Could things of been done better and with more effort, of course.
Developers aren't in the community building business, and will do good generally only through chance or under duress, they're in the money making business after all.
It's up to the city and it's residents to bring forth and nurture the things that make it a place you'd want to live in, you cannot just sit in comfy armchairs and complain while you wait for Paris to rise out of Lake Ontario.

It's all on you.
__________________
'If you want to breed Mexicans on your farm, fantastic. Dress them up as little sailors, that'd be fun. Bravo.' - Stephen Colbert
     
     
  #5880  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 10:02 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
I'm not saying it is. I linked to the article to show some feedback I had read last year. The reality is, it is an esthetically pleasing place with lots of general amenities that can pay higher CRU lease rates and sign long-term leases (grocery store, bank, bank, restaurant, bank, etc.) It takes the "Vancouver Model" of podium/tower, but blows it out of proportion. It does have nicely designed, landscaped portions, and some much needed field space too. The biggest drawback in my mind is the separation from the rest of the city, no matter how small it is. It is an island unto itself separated by lakeshore blvd/gardiner to the south, rail to the north, bathurst and spadina. The biggest barrier being north and south, obviously.

It isn't a BAD neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination, and any city would kill to have something like CityPlace adjacent to downtown. However, my personal preference prefers other Toronto communities to CityPlace, and that is fine.
Connectivity is certainly an issue with CityPlace, but at least it's laid out in a proper grid, unlike the awful dead space that characterizes St. James Town.

With respect to the south barrier, they've completed Dan Leckie Way all the way to Lake Shore Boulevard, so it's now possible to enter and exit CityPlace from the south by car or foot. Eventually Fort York Boulevard will connect to Bathurst, creating a third connectivity point for cars and a fourth for pedestrians.

My dream is that they eventually deck over the rail tracks and fully connect CityPlace directly to the King West neighbourhood to the north.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.