HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4861  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
blacktrojan3921 blacktrojan3921 is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 904
That actually looks pretty sleek Wish it was taller though, like 6-7 stories.
     
     
  #4862  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 2:59 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
That actually looks pretty sleek Wish it was taller though, like 6-7 stories.
It's proportions are nice, but I am not so sure about that design. It's usually pretty hard to tell until completed though.
     
     
  #4863  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:03 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
It would be nice if it was taller than 4 storeys. There is very little room left in the Transition area for infill.
I agree that it should be a bit taller, say 6 stories. Although, 4 stories might be optimal for being across from the park. I disagree with the statement on the Transition not having much room left for infill. There's a ridiculous amount of surface parking in that neighborhood.
     
     
  #4864  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:27 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I agree that it should be a bit taller, say 6 stories. Although, 4 stories might be optimal for being across from the park. I disagree with the statement on the Transition not having much room left for infill. There's a ridiculous amount of surface parking in that neighborhood.
The good news is that I can think of at least 6 projects u/c or proposed in the Centre Square neighbourhood. I suspect there are more proposals to come. Also I saw some small residential infill the other day as well.
     
     
  #4865  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:32 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The good news is that I can think of at least 6 projects u/c or proposed in the Centre Square neighbourhood. I suspect there are more proposals to come. Also I saw some small residential infill the other day as well.
Good news indeed! I haven't been in a while, what are the residential like? Brick sans vinyl I hope.
     
     
  #4866  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:44 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Good news indeed! I haven't been in a while, what are the residential like? Brick sans vinyl I hope.
The one I saw looked urban/modern - still plywood. I will check back when I have a chance and take a photo.
     
     
  #4867  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Mayor Fiacco's restaurant opens Saturday. I believe they have been having some private events already. they do not seem to have a website yet. UrbanSpoon lists them as "waterfront" which is technically correct as they ack on to Pilot Butte Creek!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/265/1708058/restaurant/Fortuna-Ristorante-Italiano-Regina


source: Twitter
     
     
  #4868  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
That actually looks pretty sleek Wish it was taller though, like 6-7 stories.
Yes it would be nice to see taller, but to get past that magical 4 story mark, you have to add steel and concrete for the bottom levels. More economical for a 4 story building of wood. However some us in the Architecture world are trying to push the building code to allow 5-6 out of wood with proper fire stopping and ratings. Allowing for compartmentalization would be a way to do that.

But alas as for now we have what we have.
     
     
  #4869  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:45 AM
Udon'tknow's Avatar
Udon'tknow Udon'tknow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 360
City Slicker

There is a good article on downtown Regina in the Sept/Oct edition of City Slicker magazine. It's gotz some good pics of downtown and the article is called Destination Downtown. It is not posted online but you can pic up a copy of the mag at any of the locations listed in the following link. Check it out..

http://cityslicker.squareflo.com/pages/find-a-free-copy
     
     
  #4870  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 4:31 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Hilarious on City Centre Plaza this morning. Not many cars, but lots of City workers standing around and a few TV cameras. So far I have seen 3 cars. One going the wrong way on the one way, both of the other two pulled over like they thought they werre going the wrong way and had to be directed to continue by a TV cameraman.

Edit: Just saw 2 more cars, another going the wrong way and one finally driving it perfectly.

Edit: Several more cars going the wrong way including 3 semis! Many people appear to be using the plaza to turn around to head back east, but it is one way going west! I even saw two semis passing in opposite directions at Scarth and 12th.

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM.
     
     
  #4871  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 7:33 PM
hoeding hoeding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Hilarious on City Centre Plaza this morning. Not many cars, but lots of City workers standing around and a few TV cameras. So far I have seen 3 cars. One going the wrong way on the one way, both of the other two pulled over like they thought they werre going the wrong way and had to be directed to continue by a TV cameraman.

Edit: Just saw 2 more cars, another going the wrong way and one finally driving it perfectly.

Edit: Several more cars going the wrong way including 3 semis! Many people appear to be using the plaza to turn around to head back east, but it is one way going west! I even saw two semis passing in opposite directions at Scarth and 12th.
Reading this post makes me tempted to drive down there and drive my car in reverse through the plaza.
     
     
  #4872  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 9:26 PM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
Forgot about that one...you're probably right.
Today I noticed a city application sign in front of the lot on Rose and 13th (NW corner), for an office building. I beleive this is for the SUMA office building that was announced last year and we've heard very little since. I walk by that lot fairly frequently and don't recall seeing the sign before so I assume it was recently erected, but could be wrong. If it is going before city council soon, hopefully we'll see some renders soon. I've heard rumors of a 4 -7 story office building..
     
     
  #4873  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 9:29 PM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Hilarious on City Centre Plaza this morning. Not many cars, but lots of City workers standing around and a few TV cameras. So far I have seen 3 cars. One going the wrong way on the one way, both of the other two pulled over like they thought they werre going the wrong way and had to be directed to continue by a TV cameraman.

Edit: Just saw 2 more cars, another going the wrong way and one finally driving it perfectly.

Edit: Several more cars going the wrong way including 3 semis! Many people appear to be using the plaza to turn around to head back east, but it is one way going west! I even saw two semis passing in opposite directions at Scarth and 12th.
So shouldn't people be jumping all over this now? More evidence that the plaza is a complete disaster and waste of taxpayer money, I mean look at all the driving chaos that has been created!! Hopefully they get this sorted out or it is gonna spell then end for our downtown!
     
     
  #4874  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 9:55 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
I shudder to think what semis were doing on the plaza or how they were going to get off - that is a tight turn onto cornwall. Based on early reports from Stormer it appears a lot more work needs to be done to ensure traffic flow is intuitive and obvious - thinking about the drunk in the 4x4 that didn't navigate the concrete bollards so well. You shouldn't necessarily need to design streets to accomodate drunks, but, well .... if sober people can't figure it out.....there will be another lunatic in a 4x4 f'ing something up in the near future.
     
     
  #4875  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I shudder to think what semis were doing on the plaza or how they were going to get off - that is a tight turn onto cornwall. Based on early reports from Stormer it appears a lot more work needs to be done to ensure traffic flow is intuitive and obvious - thinking about the drunk in the 4x4 that didn't navigate the concrete bollards so well. You shouldn't necessarily need to design streets to accomodate drunks, but, well .... if sober people can't figure it out.....there will be another lunatic in a 4x4 f'ing something up in the near future.
The semi was a Sysco truck (supplies restaurants). I don't think he had any choice once he was on 12th as it is a dead end coming from Hamilton. The Plaza is the only place he could turn around. There is no way he could make the turn onto Cornwall with out taking out a chunk of the stage. The other one was more a very large delivery truck than a semi.
     
     
  #4876  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
condolivin condolivin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
I drove thru the Plaza today...just because I could. Did a left off Scarth & drove west (I was alone, wondering where the other cars were) and I think I was going in the correct direction. I felt like I was driving on the moon, very confusing, I couldn't figure out where the actual road was, came to a dead end, I thought it was an alley, then realized it was Cornwall St. I turned right, north, and ended up on 11th where I was actually going. I managed to hit zero pedestrians. It is a horror story.
     
     
  #4877  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
Today I noticed a city application sign in front of the lot on Rose and 13th (NW corner), for an office building. I beleive this is for the SUMA office building that was announced last year and we've heard very little since. I walk by that lot fairly frequently and don't recall seeing the sign before so I assume it was recently erected, but could be wrong. If it is going before city council soon, hopefully we'll see some renders soon. I've heard rumors of a 4 -7 story office building..
Here's the render. Since it SARM they are going with the rural/grain elevator theme.

     
     
  #4878  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Rodo Regina Lover Rodo Regina Lover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
I did the same thing to-day, except I drove straight down 12th Ave. starting at Broad St.--- No horror story here!
I also saw a development sign in front of a house on 14th Ave. I think it was between McIntyre St. and Smith St. for a restaurant.
     
     
  #4879  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Here's the render. Since it SARM they are going with the rural/grain elevator theme.

I know you're making a bit of a joke, but that would actually be kind of interesting. At the very least it would be a unique new roof shape in the skyline.

Chances are the SARM building will be a box... probably featuring stucco and fake stone.
     
     
  #4880  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 1:56 AM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Here's the render. Since it SARM they are going with the rural/grain elevator theme.

Haha, it is a modern and sleek looking grain elevator, probably is nicer than what the new building will look like!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.