HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1321  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:15 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
It's probably just the two hotels being built by the ESA
Wasn't Marriott constructing at least one of those two??
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #1322  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:28 AM
LookUpSLC's Avatar
LookUpSLC LookUpSLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SLC
Posts: 43
I'm Here.

So after over a year of living in SLC, and following this thread--and all the great insights, pics, and passionate discussions--I've decided to cast my hat into the ring. I grew up in Utah, but Rural Utah, and after living in LA and NYC for most of my life, I've come back home...this time to downtown SLC. I hope to contribute a bit, from time to time, and at the same time, want to thank everyone for making this a site I like to visit every night before bed.
     
     
  #1323  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:30 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
So after over a year of living in SLC, and following this thread--and all the great insights, pics, and passionate discussions--I've decided to cast my hat into the ring. I grew up in Utah, but Rural Utah, and after living in LA and NYC for most of my life, I've come back home...this time to downtown SLC. I hope to contribute a bit, from time to time, and at the same time, want to thank everyone for making this a site I like to visit every night before bed.
Welcome to the forum
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #1324  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:31 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Okay, so I finally got around to modelling up what I've been trying to describe to this forum about having the proposed 25 story office tower
straddle over the UPAC main lobby area, which would be the equivalent height of an 8 or 9 story office building, potentially. It has already
been proposed to have a shared lobby space, and now that the tribune building is saved, why not do it this way and get more height to the
overall proposed development. It would be approximately 35 office stories tall.



The next images show it in comparison to the Wells Fargo Tower






Here is the layout of the lobby/theater/office.


Here are the images I posted previously showing an example of a new contemporary hotel in NYC straddling over the High Line elevated park.




Here are images of the alternate (preferred location across the street:





Last edited by Orlando; Oct 11, 2012 at 5:35 AM.
     
     
  #1325  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:36 AM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
So after over a year of living in SLC, and following this thread--and all the great insights, pics, and passionate discussions--I've decided to cast my hat into the ring. I grew up in Utah, but Rural Utah, and after living in LA and NYC for most of my life, I've come back home...this time to downtown SLC. I hope to contribute a bit, from time to time, and at the same time, want to thank everyone for making this a site I like to visit every night before bed.
Welcome, LookUpSLC! Always great to have another voice (although i'm one of the newer guys myself)
     
     
  #1326  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:39 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,282
I put google to work and I came up with this article that may help in giving an idea of what 90 million can build:

31 stories hotel/residential in Miami

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-06...f-20120621_1_31-story-hotel-condo-suites
     
     
  #1327  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:49 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I put google to work and I came up with this article that may help in giving an idea of what 90 million can build:

31 stories hotel/residential in Miami

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-06...f-20120621_1_31-story-hotel-condo-suites
sounds like a very skinny build of only .5 acres. Also states that it will only have 216 hotel rooms or maximum of 432 if the residential units are not done. Yes, 90 million can build something tall but it wont build 1000+ rooms for a hotel. So if you go with the 432 room option it would cost no less then 200 million for 1000 rooms. To be a bit more conservative I would say no less than 250 million because of the extra cost to build a foundation and structure to handle the additional weight of the building.
     
     
  #1328  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:20 AM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
sounds like a very skinny build of only .5 acres. Also states that it will only have 216 hotel rooms or maximum of 432 if the residential units are not done. Yes, 90 million can build something tall but it wont build 1000+ rooms for a hotel. So if you go with the 432 room option it would cost no less then 200 million for 1000 rooms. To be a bit more conservative I would say no less than 250 million because of the extra cost to build a foundation and structure to handle the additional weight of the building.
But that 432 rooms still includes 84 residential units. The 84 Residential units might equal another 200 to 500 rooms depending on sizes.

That means it is possible that with land in hand $90 M may build up to 950 Rooms.

Now, if that $90 also includes a parking structure, if that is possibly covered by the City or County via tax deferment or something similar, this could be a 1000 room hotel. So there is still a possibility although small I think.
     
     
  #1329  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:50 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
The next images show it in comparison to the Wells Fargo Tower


How exactly is the theater configured in your sketch up? I don't see a stage, I don't see an auditorium, and I don't see where the loading docks will be located...
     
     
  #1330  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 4:02 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998


I'm pretty sure that is just a tower concept and not the actual theater.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #1331  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:01 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,635
Doing more with teh Googles, I came up with some other hotels that were developed for $90 million...

Here's a planned convention hotel in Jackson, Mississippi that's cost is set for $90 million:

Quote:
Jackson Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr. is clear about why he worked hard the last several months to broker a $96 million deal to get a convention headquarters hotel built.


Here's the Hotel Palomar in Phoenix, which was constructed for $90 million this year:

Quote:
PHOENIX (AP) — Phoenix officials are hoping a new $90 million hotel will put the city closer to attracting some of the country’s biggest events and conventions.

So, $90 million can certainly buy you a lot.
     
     
  #1332  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:15 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I came across an old Deseret news story from August 20,2012 that talks about the need of a 1,000 room hotel. I can't share the link since I'm on my phone, but one part says.....
"Public subsidy required for a 1,000 room hotel could range from"..... Here it comes...."$80 million to $120 million"
I think this is it guys.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1333  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:32 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I am willing to accept I could be wrong. I would be more than happy to find out that this 90 million hotel is the new 1000 room hotel.
     
     
  #1334  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:02 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I really hope we hear more about this else where besides the enterprise. I used to like that site before they started making people pay to read their stories.

And as for the PAC tower Orlando I'm sold. Didn't think it would work at first, but then after looking at your images I like it and I now hope this is how it will be done. Still think it's unlikely but I like the idea.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1335  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:23 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
I am going to the Performing Arts Workshop on Thursday at the Library. Anyone else going?
...I signed up for it last night--now we'll see if the Mrs. Jedikermit lets me go. Always in motion the relationship is.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #1336  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:58 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
This $90M hotel thing is just strange to me. First UtahPlanner let's us know that a hotel develop has been in his office the last few days (and his inside info has proven to be very good in the past) and then we get this article headline but can't access the article. I can't help but think that this article has to be referencing the two hotels south of ESA and the ironic timing of it coming right after UtahPlanner's news is tricking us all into thinking it could be the convention hotel. I assumed that no news on the convention hotel would come until after the County Mayor election, and it seems like the hotel couldn't be announced with a public subsidy without us hearing about a council vote or something. I don't know, i would be very excited if this is a 1000+ room hotel (or even 800 or 900) but i'm sceptical.
     
     
  #1337  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:08 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
I think we're looking at three good sized hotels, but not a convention hotel yet. There is an acute shortage of rooms and very specific types of sq. footage adj. to the Convention Center. It makes perfect sense that three new hotels, with a total of 1200 to 1500 rooms will now go under construction in the immediate future. This would probably handle the ORC and Convention Center's most urgent needs, and at the same time give the city and county a little more time to flush out the ABC's of getting the convention center project off the ground.

I imagine this whole thing has been thought out to the smallest minutia detail by those handleing the specific demographics. How many more rooms and what type of ballroom facilities are we short for those needing to be adjacent to the Convention Center? How many people prefer the ulta luxe environment of the Grand, with or without a Convention Hotel? How many will always prefer to stay in the Park City area no matter what? Salt Lake City has excellent Alpine options that no other major city in the region can mimic, such as the very close proximity of three huge mtn. resorts. The Park City area has as many rooms as Downtown Denver, Phoenix or Salt Lake. Many of these convention goers prefer staying in places like Park City/Deer Valley/Canyons or even Snowbird/Alta and Solitude.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM.
     
     
  #1338  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:14 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I think we're looking at three good sized hotels, but not a convention hotel yet. There is an acute shortage of rooms adj. to the Convention Center. It makes perfect sense that three new hotels, with a total of 1200 to 1500 rooms will now go under construction in the immediate future. This would probably handle the ORC and Convention Center's most urgent needs, and at the same time give the city and county a little more time to flush out the ABC's of getting the convention center project off the ground.


That sounds right to me. Without some kind of city or county partnership (which seems unlikely to be already in place), I don't think THE convention hotel is one of these. But with the two we already know about and the 90 Million Dollar Man/Hotel, it will sure help ORC decide to stay. Please. I hope.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #1339  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:34 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Did The Enterprise already announce the two hotels south of ESA? If not, could this simply be the announcment of those two? Case in point, the Birkhill Apartments in Murray that we have known about for months, wasn't announced in The Enterprise until the Sept 24 - October 1 edition.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Wasn't Marriott constructing at least one of those two??
Marriott, and actually most hotel chains, don't actually construct the majority of their hotels, especially the lower and middle level brands within the chain. A hotel developer/managment company develops/builds the properties and has agreements with said chains to use their name and to design the exterior and interiors to match specific design standards according to each hotel brand.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Oct 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM.
     
     
  #1340  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:45 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998


The same development company took over the Provo Marriott in 2011.. So it's possible... 90m is still pretty substantial though...


Here is the only other hotell the developer has ever constructed.. And it was only 10.2m
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.