HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1301  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:30 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
My wife and I stopped into Starbucks Sunday morning and picked up some hot chocolate as we waited to get into the Conference Center. It was 35 degrees that morning. I am very impressed with the changes to the base of the Crandall building and the Starbucks has a neat feel.
     
     
  #1302  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:48 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
The Crandall Building looks great. I'm really impressed with the refinishing work that occurred on the stonework at the base of the building.

Also there has been a hotel developer in asking a lot of questions. They are specifically looking at developing a vacant parking lot near the ESA. This is not the development planned at the SW corner of 100 S and 300 W. This would be an additional development in the area. I don't have lots of details at the moment.
     
     
  #1303  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:07 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Hotel Developer



Cool... Hope it turns into something very interesting and not anther 5 story Hotel/Motel.
     
     
  #1304  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:15 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
The Crandall Building looks great. I'm really impressed with the refinishing work that occurred on the stonework at the base of the building.

Also there has been a hotel developer in asking a lot of questions. They are specifically looking at developing a vacant parking lot near the ESA. This is not the development planned at the SW corner of 100 S and 300 W. This would be an additional development in the area. I don't have lots of details at the moment.
Perhaps the city and county should try to get this hotel developer to build the 1,000+ room Convention Hotel, preferably on the same block as the Buddhist temple, and most preferably on the Royal Wood Plaza site.
     
     
  #1305  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:19 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
If there is so much interest from hotel chains here lately, I wonder why the opportunity has not be seized, or at least pursued, to get a convention center hotel. It seems to me that 2-3 5 story hotels around ESA would really hurt the market chances of getting a 1,000 room one.
     
     
  #1306  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:38 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Interesting. There are three parking lots immediately adjacent to ESA, that I can think of. 1)The Triad surface lot, north of ESA 2)The Medals plaza block NE or ESA and 3)the lot SE of ESA. 1 and 2 are owned by the LDS church and I would assume they plan on developing their own property, so in my mind, the most logical location, depending on the definition of "near ESA" would be the lot SE of the arena.

While we have always focused on the Royal Wood Plaza space, this parking lot is pretty good sized and I could see the possibility of a Convention Hotel configuration working on that spot.

Mmmmmmm.... speculation.
     
     
  #1307  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:21 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
When the hell is Google Maps going to update their street view for Salt Lake City? So many cities, from Portland to Denver, have high resolution photos and we're still stuck with the ones from 2007.
bing.com - They have SLC streetview in HD.
     
     
  #1308  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:42 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
The funny thing is I saw the Google Mapping Card go through the city back in early April. I understand it takes a while for them to go through every frame to blur out people, signs, etc... but sheesh! It's been six months already! A decent algorythm should be able to cut down on a lot of the work... Update already! I'm pretty sure that when it does update, the street-view should be over most of the city: I saw it downtown, various streets in Sugarhouse and in my own neighborhood in Taylorsville.
     
     
  #1309  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:00 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,768
OOPs, Thanks Future Mayor for catching that for me.

     
     
  #1310  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:09 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Architects

I have a future development related question. Who on here is an architect, an architectural student or knows an architectural student?

If you do please PM me. Thx
     
     
  #1311  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:42 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
bing.com - They have SLC streetview in HD.
They have HD images, but they're just as outdated..... and the maps themselves are horribly inaccurate:



I think I'll head on down to the Meier and Frank at the ZCMI Center Mall tonight.
     
     
  #1312  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:52 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Wow! I don't believe this! I may be the first one to make the first official announcement about the Convention Hotel!
Well, I don't know for sure if this is the convention hotel. I wonder if this is that other hotel planned next to ESA. But, $90 million sounds about right. It does sound a little low, but whatever it is, it is going to be quite significant. Anyways, the article headline is in the link below.

I can't access the full article right now. Their website is screwed up. But, in The Salt Lake Enterprise Newspaper, it states,

"$90 million hotel development coming to the west side of downtown Salt Lake."

http://www.slenterprise.com/

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
     
     
  #1313  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Interesting. There are three parking lots immediately adjacent to ESA, that I can think of. 1)The Triad surface lot, north of ESA 2)The Medals plaza block NE or ESA and 3)the lot SE of ESA. 1 and 2 are owned by the LDS church and I would assume they plan on developing their own property, so in my mind, the most logical location, depending on the definition of "near ESA" would be the lot SE of the arena.

While we have always focused on the Royal Wood Plaza space, this parking lot is pretty good sized and I could see the possibility of a Convention Hotel configuration working on that spot.

Mmmmmmm.... speculation.
what about the NE corner of North Temple and 400 West. He said near to not adjacent to.. That is still pretty close.
     
     
  #1314  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:50 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow! I don't believe this! I may be the first one to make the first official announcement about the Convention Hotel!
Well, I don't know for sure if this is the convention hotel. I wonder if this is that other hotel planned next to ESA. But, $90 million sounds about right. It does sound a little low, but whatever it is, it is going to be quite significant. Anyways, the article headline is in the link below.

I can't access the full article right now. Their website is screwed up. But, in The Salt Lake Enterprise Newspaper, it states,

"$90 million hotel development coming to the west side of downtown Salt Lake."

http://www.slenterprise.com/
Aw, now I'm going to just be hitting refresh on every news site...
     
     
  #1315  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:51 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow! I don't believe this! I may be the first one to make the first official announcement about the Convention Hotel!
Well, I don't know for sure if this is the convention hotel. I wonder if this is that other hotel planned next to ESA. But, $90 million sounds about right. It does sound a little low, but whatever it is, it is going to be quite significant. Anyways, the article headline is in the link below.

I can't access the full article right now. Their website is screwed up. But, in The Salt Lake Enterprise Newspaper, it states,

"$90 million hotel development coming to the west side of downtown Salt Lake."

http://www.slenterprise.com/
That site —. It wants you to buy a subscription.. there has to be someone else with this news.
     
     
  #1316  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
here is the contact info for the developer.. I have emaild them.. lets see if we get a response

Office
180 North University Avenue Suite 820
Provo, UT 84601
[email protected]
Phone 801-655-1998
Fax 801-655-0729
http://pegdevelopment.com



here is a Hilton Garden hotel that the same company developed in St George for around 10$m. I would expect 90$m to get us something much nicer then that.
http://pegdevelopment.com/commercial-developer/48
     
     
  #1317  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:11 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I would think a 1000+ room hotel would be more in the 300-400 million ballpark. Unless if the cost of the county covering parking and cost of convention space reduces it down to 90 million. Though I still think the cost for just the hotel on 1000 rooms would be still 200 million to build.
     
     
  #1318  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:14 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I would think a 1000+ room hotel would be more in the 300-400 million ballpark. Unless if the cost of the county covering parking and cost of convention space reduces it down to 90 million. Though I still think the cost for just the hotel on 1000 rooms would be still 200 million to build.
I agree... But based on the development cost of other projects by the same developer.. This is a pretty significant project.. It will be their largest as far as I can tell.

Im a bit worried that if this is not the 1000+ hotel along with the other 2 hotels south of ESA... The 1000+ might not happen lets hope this is not the case.


it should be noted that this is the same developer currently constructing the Eastside and Broadway apartments.
     
     
  #1319  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:29 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I would think a 1000+ room hotel would be more in the 300-400 million ballpark. Unless if the cost of the county covering parking and cost of convention space reduces it down to 90 million. Though I still think the cost for just the hotel on 1000 rooms would be still 200 million to build.
I think you may be right. I probably jumped too quick to a conclusion about it being the convention hotel. Though, a $90 million hotel development is quite significant. Though, it looks like this developer does the cheap stucco stuff. I hope not.

I am also concerned, like some of you have expressed, that this may take away from us getting a tall convention hotel.
     
     
  #1320  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:08 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
It's probably just the two hotels being built by the ESA
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.