HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5421  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
theres stuff we know is coming but know nothing more then that its coming prolly one of those projects
     
     
  #5422  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:39 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Since when does the Exchange need highrises?
It doesn't. I don't even think they're allowed to build high-rises in the exchange. Though they wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, they definitely aren't a necessity.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #5423  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:14 PM
BubberMiley BubberMiley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 179
Does anyone know what they are building east of the Sobey's, west of Hydro on Taylor? It's all fenced off and excavation has begun.
I heard Wal-mart was interested in that site. I'm hoping that's not correct though.
     
     
  #5424  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:42 PM
Jack1983 Jack1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Does anyone know what they are building east of the Sobey's, west of Hydro on Taylor? It's all fenced off and excavation has begun.
I heard Wal-mart was interested in that site. I'm hoping that's not correct though.
It is a Walmart that is moving in there...Hydro is currently relocating all of the lines to underground.
     
     
  #5425  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:48 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
I found this news release with a rendering of part of the Convention Centre. not sure how up to date the render is, but the article is from two days ago. this is over York Avenue.


from: http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/

Quote:
...

The Winnipeg project is a high-profile, multi-storey expansion of the current Winnipeg Convention Centre. The expansion will include an upper-level exhibit hall, incorporating a signature event room dubbed the City Room – which extends over York Avenue, along with a ballroom, new pre-function spaces, and support areas on the adjacent expansion site.

...
http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/
     
     
  #5426  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:01 PM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Team selection included a two-stage North American competition. The selected team consists of design-build contractor Stuart Olson Dominion Construction Ltd., developer Matthews Southwest, and LMN leading the design with local Winnipeg architectural firms Number TEN Architectural Group and LM Architectural Group.
Did you have something to do with this, trueviking! Must explain the dancing banana to an extent
     
     
  #5427  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:22 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Yeah, That rendering is up to date.
     
     
  #5428  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:19 PM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I found this news release with a rendering of part of the Convention Centre. not sure how up to date the render is, but the article is from two days ago. this is over York Avenue.


from: http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/


http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/
Wow!!!! Thanks for the update!
Some claim on here they know all this info but are sworn to secrecy......
     
     
  #5429  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:40 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
that looks really cool, nice detective work there headhorse

really digging that look
     
     
  #5430  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:38 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I found this news release with a rendering of part of the Convention Centre. not sure how up to date the render is, but the article is from two days ago. this is over York Avenue.


from: http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/


http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/
wowsers that looks impressive........ so im assuming the hotel tower will be on top of the 3 storys convention space on the york avenue parking lot. just seeing that while driving down york is going to change the whole atmosphere around the downtown area. Downtown is rapidly changing,, and this project will definitly be a game changer.
     
     
  #5431  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:42 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
holds judgement till i see the treatment of the rest of the place
     
     
  #5432  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:56 PM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Wow!!!! Thanks for the update!
Some claim on here they know all this info but are sworn to secrecy......
I'm pretty sure those people would like to keep their respective jobs...
     
     
  #5433  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 10:11 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I found this news release with a rendering of part of the Convention Centre. not sure how up to date the render is, but the article is from two days ago. this is over York Avenue.


from: http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/


http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/lm...n-convention-centre-projects/1001727342/


My only concern is that there seems to be a lot of blank wall on the South West (Expanded Portion) once past York. I hope that is not the case. I know Vike is against entire blocks of no access, so I am guessing it is not the case, if this is his design.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #5434  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 11:03 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
My only concern is that there seems to be a lot of blank wall on the South West (Expanded Portion) once past York. I hope that is not the case. I know Vike is against entire blocks of no access, so I am guessing it is not the case, if this is his design.


i think its going to look a lot like the original design
     
     
  #5435  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:39 AM
good_dude's Avatar
good_dude good_dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 'peg city
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Since when does the Exchange need highrises?
If lilwayne had his way, every building within a km of P&M would be a high-rise regardless of the context or the market.
     
     
  #5436  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:46 AM
good_dude's Avatar
good_dude good_dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 'peg city
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
My only concern is that there seems to be a lot of blank wall on the South West (Expanded Portion) once past York. I hope that is not the case. I know Vike is against entire blocks of no access, so I am guessing it is not the case, if this is his design.
Ya if that's the most up to date rendering then I agree it still needs a lot of work. The most important part of this whole project is the interplay between the building and the street, since the vision is for SHED to be a pedestrian friendly zone. I'm not sure if it's just the quality of the rendering but I see a lot of blank wall action.
     
     
  #5437  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:46 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
My only concern is that there seems to be a lot of blank wall on the South West (Expanded Portion) once past York. I hope that is not the case. I know Vike is against entire blocks of no access, so I am guessing it is not the case, if this is his design.
i have nothing to do with it....as i recall the addition was pretty glassy at ground level and pretty similar to the existing building above.
     
     
  #5438  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 1:33 AM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i have nothing to do with it....as i recall the addition was pretty glassy at ground level and pretty similar to the existing building above.
again i ask what was the about

is it about a project none of us is aware of?
     
     
  #5439  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 1:35 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
just wait and see
     
     
  #5440  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 3:01 AM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
We need to have an SSP meeting soon. So far, I've only met camzmac and trueviking
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.