HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post

1471-1475 Havenhurst Dr., Los Angeles, California
Source Wikipedia.

There are other courtyard apartment complexes that bear a great resemblance to the Andalusia. One that immediately springs to mind is at 629 N. Spaulding, 90036. I am surprised that I can't locate it from previously posted photos. When you look at google maps the similarity is patent. (Currently unable to upload screen grabs.) I remember the courtyard, beyond the gate, to be a breath of fresh air, much the same as the Andalusia. Could the the builders have been working from the same blueprints, or used the same architect, or maybe it was just a popular style.

Look at the street view. Pan left. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&su...ed=0CB4Q8gEwAA

The area is no stranger to similar complexes. I have been particularly fascinated by 615 Ridgely Drive posted here by ER> http://66.45.240.25/showpost.php?p=5...postcount=4782.

There is a similar edifice just a block away at 611 S. Burnside. Maybe someone can post a better image. http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA[/URL]

Last edited by Godzilla; Oct 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Unfamiliar with the Moscow Inn, other than having heard it mentioned. On the somewhat related subject of night spots that apparently traversed Prohibition's "ins and outs" I don't believe I have seen anything here about "Sebastian's Cotton Club" at 6500 Washington Boulevard, in Culver City.

Undated
C.St.Lib

Lapl
Lapl

Lapl

(1925/9 (?)) An unexpected homage to the Devil's Gate or an attempt to woo early rocket propulsion fans?

Lapl

Because the area underwent substantial redevelopment over the years, it is hard (for me) to notice any Cotton Club vestiges. However, in the general neighborhood the 9700 block of Washington Boulevard, there is a very interesting set of storefronts harkening back to the '30s.

google
Bif i always wondered about the cotton club,there is nothing in new culver city to show or tell where it was,the same with old culver city(when the area was super run down).i wonder when they tore it down,i know les hite,louis armstrong,count basie,and fats waller all performed there,and i think it was one of the last spots that fats performed at before he died on the super chief train in 1943.anyways great post.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:08 AM

Just a few blocks from the Burnside and Ridgely addresses is Miracle Mile. Here are a few shots that may have escaped notice on this forum (thus far). Three are from Herman "unicorn" Schultheis. The last one may have been posted here, but I can't locate it. So please suffer through it.

Phelps Terkel 1947
lapl

1949 Wilshire, including Phelps Terkel building
lapl

H. Schultheis

A chill is in the air - Wilshire looking east on Burnside 1937.
lapl

1937 - Looking west from LaBrea. Quintessential Noir.
lapl

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:10 AM

Wilshire looking west. Source indicates the vantage is from Sycamore but since the E.Clem Wilson is not in sight, I submit La Brea is in the foreground. (likely mid to late '30s) Sopas ej posted this shot and other memorable photos here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=570
USC Digital

1931 - Wilshire Dominguez Bldg. 5410 Wilshire Blvd. "Myer Siegel and Company"

Myer Siegel retail space display 1933

Last 13 images from C.St.Lib

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:12 AM

ebay

WHOA...A former chorus girl disembowels her husband's mistress!! This is 'noir' to the nth degree.
___

Here is Clara in all her 'post-claw hammer' glory.

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/09/the_real_black_dahlia/

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 30, 2012 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Bif i always wondered about the cotton club,there is nothing in new culver city to show or tell where it was,the same with old culver city(when the area was super run down).i wonder when they tore it down,i know les hite,louis armstrong,count basie,and fats waller all performed there,and i think it was one of the last spots that fats performed at before he died on the super chief train in 1943.anyways great post.

It looks as though the COtton CLub moved to Central Avenue by 1960. Have no idea when the Culver Club ceased or whether the new version was related other than by name. http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar...ub&submit=Find

Lionel Hampton 1935 at CC

Chorus Girl undated (writing on the photo says?)

"The Three Gobs"? Undated

Evidently CC proprietor Frank Sebastian had "issues" with the law.

Quote:
Night club hosts at the Cotton Club, Frank Sebastian and Walter Pollock are shown here with their lawyer in a Los Angeles County courthouse. They appeared in court for a hearing growing out of their release on a writ of habeas corpus after they were ordered jailed for refusal to testify in a liquor probe.

Here he is posing at the front door of the Club in 1936 (Happier days?)
All from LAPL

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:09 AM

Two photos of Simons at Wilshire and Fairfax that are best viewed together.

Previously posted here: http://mail.hostomega.com/showpost.p...&postcount=561 and here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...170279&page=11 and

1938 (Pre-MayCo.)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1671

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:21 AM

Harrington Hotel - recommended by Duncan Hines!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:43 AM

I found the old Cotton Club thanks to the wonderful Historic Aerials. It sat with its back to National Boulevard, right next to the old Helms Bakeries factory.

This dates to 1948, the earliest coverage available:

A mere four years later and it's gone:

The obvious conclusion here is that Helms needed to expand and made a nice little offer on the land. Today, the circa 1950 buildings still stand:

Back to the Cotton Club, I figured searching for Helms Bakeries might turn up more photos of it, but I only came up with this shred from 1947....note the tower at the far left:

Helms Bakeries at LAPL

Searching for aerial photos turned up this shot from 1926 which shows it already up by then:

Panorama of Culver City, 1926 at LAPL

Randomness from December 21, 1937:

Cafe International/Sebastian's Cotton Club at LAPL

1928....."Frank Sebastian was already experienced in the entertainment business before he came to Culver City. Sebastian's customers enjoyed "Las Vegas type" acts at his "Cotton Club" on Washington Boulevard at National. It offered valet parking, three dance floors, and full orchestras, rivaling the club of the same name in New York."

Frank Sebastian, Cotton Club proprietor at LAPL

And at that point I discovered this 1924 aerial of the Cotton Club. HOWEVER, it is labelled as the Green Mill Cafe, which can clearly be discerned on the sign(s) perched over the parking entrances:

Green Mill Cafe, aerial at LAPL

Another aerial, this one undated although it should be noted the billboards are carrying the same ads as in the above image:

Green Mill Cafe, exterior at LAPL

Google then turned up this bit of info about the origins of the building:

Quote:
In November, 1922, Aurelio Garau and his wife, Sarah Garau, were the owners in fee simple of a piece of property consisting of approximately eight acres known as the "Garau Home Place" located near Culver City, which property is bounded on the south side by Washington boulevard, a major boulevard from Los Angeles to Venice, on the west side by National Boulevard, and on the north side by Venice Boulevard. During the month of November, 1922, Garau and his wife entered into an agreement leasing said property to the Green Mill Catering Company and in January, 1923, said company commenced the construction thereon of a large cafe and restaurant building. Thereafter the Green Mill, Inc., was formed, which assumed the rights, duties and privileges of said Green Mill Catering Company and completed said building, at a total cost in excess of $90,000.
That came from a court case that then plunges into the nitty gritty:

Quote:
During this period of construction Morris Rauch secured from Garau and his wife a written option, dated March 26, 1923, for one year, to purchase said property for a consideration of $90,000 cash, or upon terms to be agreed upon by the parties. This option was given for the reason that Rauch stated that it was impossible for the Green Mill, Inc., to finance the construction of the building on leased property without an option to purchase the property during the life of the lease, and it was the understanding of Garau and Rauch that upon the satisfactory completion of the building Rauch should repurchase from Garau the stock in the Green Mill, Inc., which Garau had theretofore purchased. Thereafter, Rauch interested Samuel Hersh in furnishing money for the completion of said building, and Hersh out of funds owned by his wife put into the construction of said building a substantial amount of money and Rauch assigned, by written assignment, to Samuel Hersh, the option upon said real property.
As you can imagine, things got worse before they got better--I'll spare you all the boredom of quoting the whole case, but you can go here to see who ended up with the property.

So...1923 to roughly 1927 on the Green Mill Cafe, then Sebastian's Cotton Club until 1950, give or take a year. Then...adios!

Last edited by kznyc2k; Sep 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 10:53 AM

Hey guys, i found this videos on youtube of highland park then and now pics, thought you guys might find it interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ26q0Lg8Zo

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:21 PM
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.L.P View Post
Hey guys, i found this videos on youtube of highland park then and now pics, thought you guys might find it interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ26q0Lg8Zo
Wow...thanks. The comments below the video make Highland Park sound like a bad place now.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:30 PM
Dallas, TX

Smog Victim in Los Angeles CA. Photo dated Nov 26, 1958.

Ebay

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:08 PM
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay

WHOA...A former chorus girl disembowels her husband's mistress!! This is 'noir' to the nth degree.
___

Here is Clara in all her 'post-claw hammer' glory.

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/09/the_real_black_dahlia/

__
Here is Clara Leaving jail.
LAPL

I've taken liberty to clean up the picture a little.

Here is her mug shot with a little makeup on and fixed the gap in her teeth.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:32 PM
Dallas, TX

Wikipedia
Here is a very noir story:
Jacob Denton a wealthy widower was planning on renting his mansion on Wilshire before taking a lengthy trip to Michigan. The ad was answered by Louise Peete...and his world was never the same. The story involves a ton of dirt in the basement, mushrooms, forgery, lies and a conviction of murder for Louise Peete. She allegedly was the reason "Tiger Woman" Clara Phillips tried to attempt suicide in prison. Eventually Louise was granted parole...but her story does not end....see Dead Women Week 3, Gassing; California, 1947.

Jacob Denton gravestone:

Findagrave

Additional links to Louise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Peete
http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller...ETE_louise.php
http://cwcfamily.org/articles/family/peete.htm
http://www.amazon.com/search-Lofie-L...s=Louise+Peete
http://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/people-v-peete-23828

Dragnet dramatized her story. Dragnet.

Last edited by rcarlton; Sep 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:14 PM

excellent work,thank you so much,you made my weekend!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:16 PM

Fascinating exposition kznyc2k!

Now for another challenge, where was the Moscow Inn located and are there pictures? It was east of La Boheme aka Trocadero, and its number was CR 4331.

Perusing the usual sources for information concerning the Cotton Club and the Moscow Inn, a number of other establishments were mentioned. Many of which have been discussed on this forum. The 1929 amusement map http://66.45.240.25/showpost.php?p=5...postcount=8036 is significant in that it highlights the better known nightspots of the time. Almost all of them presented themselves as legitimate places for dining and dancing while, rightly or wrongly, they also had reputations for being "roadhouses" or "speakeasies" capable of serving demon rum. It goes without saying that illegal booze probably encouraged some other politically unpopular and illegal activities such as gambling and prostitution. Even after 1933, when alcohol was legal, the other vices managed to scrape by on their own.

Absent personal knowledge, it is hard to say what clubs were strictly legitimate and which may have occasionally strayed from the straight and narrow. For all I know some may have falsely enjoyed a racy reputation, that could have been good for business, at least for a short while. Suffice it to say, there certainly were quite a few supper-dance-entertainment enterprises with interesting names and maybe equally interesting reputations. They include The Cotton Club's predecessor, "The Green Mill" as well as the Jungle Inn, La Fonda Inn, Paris Inn, Marcel Inn,Heigh Ho Inn, Russ Gypsy Inn,the Plantation, the Pom Pom Cafe, the Showboat Cafe, Rainbow Gardens, Villa Inn, Zucca's Inn, Moonlight Gardens, Sunset Inn, Doo Doo Inn, Kit Kat Club, Midnight Frolics, Sneak Inn and the Clover Club.

Curiously, one source suggests that the Monkey Farm (down the street from the Cotton Club - "take the Washington St. bus.") may have been a "swinging" club not to be confused with the swingers at Monkey Island. However, the map includes it with a list of Places of Interest, like Ostrich Farms and the Luna Park Zoo. "200 monkeys. Smallest and Largest known!"

Directly above the LaBrea Dinosaur is "Cuckoo Clock" on Beverly Blvd. Is it a roadside attraction that tells time or a hoppin hot spot?

Clover Club (8477 Sunset Blvd. above La Cienega Boulevard) Feb 6, 1935
google
google

http://ladailymirror.com/2011/10/10/...e-clover-club/

Another speakeasy!, 1929 (Tony's Cafe at 905 First Street)
USC Digital

And another! (Notice the convenience of getting your stomach vulcanized and next door getting your tires vulcanized!)
USC Digital

According to the source, Anne Laskey, this (now demolished) home at 4412 Wilshire Blvd also served as a speakeasy. lapl

I know it is far from the subject of Los Angeles, but this image is instructional regarding the treatment of liquor sales - even in 1932. Yes, it is for Washington D.C. and if anyone is offended, I will delete it.
USC Digital

Last edited by BifRayRock; Oct 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
Wow...thanks. The comments below the video make Highland Park sound like a bad place now.
yeah it's definitely a rough neighborhood, but i love it, i wouldn't want it any other way. As for the hipster thing, i kind of hope its a fad that will fade away in time. i live in Alhambra right now, and i cant wait till the day i move back to Highland Park, imma be like...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:02 PM

Building Age and Builder's Journal

The most famous of the moved mansions in Los Angeles is the Higgins-Verbeck house, which was built at 2619 Wilshire and moved to 637 South Lucerne in 1924. Part of the story is that a party was going on in the house as it moved west. I just found this shot of a rear section of the house trundling down Wilshire with revelers at the windows.... Full story here: Wilshire Boulevard Houses

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:42 PM

California Piano Supply Company

Here are some photo's from the 20's showing the entrance to the California Piano Supply Company located at 2257 Venice Blvd. Sometime in the 60's the company was renamed The Big Red Piano Company. An attempt was made to move the building to another location in order to preserve it, but the structure failed to survive the move.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2257 Venice Blvd. today

Photos LAPL and Google Street

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:47 PM
Dallas, TX

Nothing on Moscow Inn yet. This article mentions the Monkey Farm 3rd page, 4th paragraph.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos