Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW
People aren't buying them just renting them, so they probably don't really care how good the fit and finish is. Chances are people are only going to live in them for a few years while they finish grad school or do a medical internship, I doubt that too many people will live there long-term. And those prices seem inline with what new apartments are getting in the 'burgh these days, hard to find anything under $1k a month.
|
Yeah, I understand that they're only renting them. And I know that very nice 1-bdrm apts in Pittsburgh in a nice building with many amenities in a good location command $1K+ per month..... but these portal apartments are none of that... yet they are priced at $1250-$1400/month.
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm paying a premium
to rent in a city like Pittsburgh, it's going to be a damn nice apartment. It just seems to me to be an incredible waste of money to spend that much on one of those apartments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
New (and on the bigger side, which often goes along with new) also has appeal for many people, and I think the market for new apartments in the core area is WAY undersupplied right now.
|
True on both counts. The number of available apartments in Pittsburgh's core is FAR from meeting demand. Try to find a decent apartment in the East End for evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33
I agree, but Pittsburgh developers aren't going to want to take risks. Look at all the projects that PMC properties is doing. Why does it take a developer from Philly to realize the potential for these projects?
|
I think outside developers coming in is pretty common in many cities though -- especially developers who are smaller players in their home markets, like PMC, coming to smaller markets (like Pittsburgh as compared to Philly) where property is cheaper, yet where there is still wide availability of older structures suitable for rehab into residential.
I don't really think it's a case of Pittsburgh developers not seeing the potential for these projects. But I think you are correct in that Pittsburgh developers don't want to take the risk -- mainly because they simply can't take larger risks because they generally lack the capital required to do so.