HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:41 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
I don't think they're talking about the building. The Alta Club will remain. The parking for the Alta Club is kind of across the street (down a bit from the actual building) in a lot between residential development. My guess is that's what the LDS Church will acquire and then they can build something there on that lot ... which I'd love to see.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Salt+Lake...r-D4K87E0cPi6NTeYQ&cbp=12,19.77,,0,-2.14
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Thumbs up

I too would like to see the Alta Club parking lot developed. Having lived in the Brigham apartments, I would always walk by it on my way downtown, dreaming that it would one day be a site of a new tower, but willing to settle for a decent mid-rise that complemented the Elk Lodge building to the West and Brigham apartments to the east. I hope this isn't just another purchase on their part. I'd hate to see the lot be purchased and sit for another decade.

"ABC 4 News is being told the club would give up its sizeable parking lot located across South Temple and give it to the LDS Church.

The Church, in return, would give the Alta Club some property on the same side of South Temple as the club.

This building, the old Mr. Mac store, reportedly, would then be demolished to create new parking for the club."


Can't say I'll be the least bit sorry to see the Mr. Mac building go (it is hideous, cheap construction that doesn't fit in with its surroundings,) but I would hate to see a parking garage rise in its stead! Why can't the church just deed out access to their new parking garage on Social Hall Ave. and build a better lit alleyway to the Alta Club? I can't imagine the parking demands will ever be that great; in all my time living at Brigham, I never saw more than eight cars in the Alta Club lot.

I'm all for future development on the Alta Club parking lot, and for the tearing down Mr. Mac for something else, but let's not build a damn parking structure on South Temple!!!

Last edited by Scraperdude801; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:02 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
I knew about this a little while ago. The church was discussing this from when they moved Mr Mac's over to the City Creek Center. The church has built all this residential downtown as well as others putting additional housing downtown and from what I was told they need another meeting house downtown as what they currently have is full. So they have swapped the land across the street so that the Alta Club can build an additional parking terrace and they can now build a chapel.
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:19 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537


Why don't they just build their chapel on the corner of State Street and 1st ave? Tearing down the old Mr. Mac for parking would expose the Social Hall parking garage to South Temple as well.

Last edited by Old&New; Sep 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM.
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:32 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
My understanding was that the old Mr Mac is coming down for another parking garage directly on South Temple.
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:54 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I am pretty sure there was an LDS Chapel where the Brigham Apartments are now and was removed to build said apartments.
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:18 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,107
We can hope that there will be ground level retail along South Temple for the parking structure.
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:28 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
While at the Utah game last Saturday I was thinking that the RedZone, which currently has 3 off campus stores (Sandy, Jordan Landing and Layton), would make a great retail addition to downtown Salt Lake City, somewhere on Main or close to Main on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd South, maybe in 222. Both Gateway and CCC have Fanz stores so I don't think those would be the best location.

In the future, a location in the Depot/market district would be a great location.
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:48 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
There was a parking lot where the Brigham Apts are, at least my entire lifetime before Brigham was an empty parking lot, no chapel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I am pretty sure there was an LDS Chapel where the Brigham Apartments are now and was removed to build said apartments.
     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:09 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
We can hope that there will be ground level retail along South Temple for the parking structure.
I could be mistaken (I don't know that zone) but I believe you have to provide ground level retail and a high percentage of glass at ground level for any new structure - parking or not. That is no guarantee of good/usable retail but at least it's better than nothing.
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:40 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
This will be a nice addition to the area, I believe it's currently an old chapel that has been vacated for some time.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54934474-78/cancer-lodge-patients-million.html.csp
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:43 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
This will be a nice addition to the area, I believe it's currently an old chapel that has been vacated for some time.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54934474-78/cancer-lodge-patients-million.html.csp

Isnt the LDS church really hurting for chapel space Downtown at the moment?.....or atleast I recall reading that earlier today on this thread?
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Union Station Development
108 south 300 west
Hyatt House hotel
Future Marriot Courtyard
Parking structure


http://www.slcclassic.com/boards/plancom/2012/September/00481.pdf
     
     
  #1154  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:05 AM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
Union Station Development
108 south 300 west
Hyatt House hotel
Future Marriot Courtyard
Parking structure


http://www.slcclassic.com/boards/plancom/2012/September/00481.pdf
So it looks like both hotels are around 6 stories. I like that they will both be right on the street with the parking in the rear.
     
     
  #1155  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
This will be a nice addition to the area, I believe it's currently an old chapel that has been vacated for some time.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54934474-78/cancer-lodge-patients-million.html.csp
From what I can tell by the different renderings in the Trib., I like the look of what will be the Hope Lodge.
A rendering of the garden at Hope Lodge in Salt Lake City. The American Cancer Society announced Thursday it has raised $10.2 million toward its $18 million capital campaign to build the 42-suite lodge for cancer patients who need to leave their homes for therapy in Salt Lake City.http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54934474-78/cancer-lodge-patients-million.html.csp

That certainly is a generous donation by the LDS church. From the renderings, the Hope Lodge seems to be a very warm and beautiful addition to that corner.


100 S 400 E
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1951
Architect: Clifford Evans
Vacant ~2008 to 2011
Land donated to Hope Lodge in 2011
http://ldsarchitecture.wordpress.com/category/meetinghouses/united-states/salt-lake-13th-ward/


.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
     
     
  #1156  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 12:17 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,732
double post

Last edited by delts145; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
     
     
  #1157  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post
So it looks like both hotels are around 6 stories. I like that they will both be right on the street with the parking in the rear.
I agree, and boy does that corner need the street infill and presence. It looks like they'll be setting the Marriott back just far enough to accomodate outdoor dining on the street(1st So.) I really like that aspect a lot! All n' all, excellent, much needed infill for that area.

The Hyatt House will basically follow the same layout design pattern as the one recently built in Sandy, except that this one will be taller and have larger windows and retail mix at street grade. Hopefully, they'll do something creative and attractive with the exterior materials.



.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM.
     
     
  #1158  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:07 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I like that the hotel development will include retail, particularly the 'larger retail' on the corner of 100 S 300 W. Perhaps a sports bar since it's right accross the street from the Arena?
     
     
  #1159  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:07 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


I too like the that Hyatt Place will be right on the sidewalk, hopefully the sidewalk will be a little wider than the one that is there now, and that the Courtyard will allow for the dining, great location for a new restaurant or even a bar. I love the drive through Porte Cochere on the Marriott, while this one won't be nearly as grand, that is my favorite feature of the Downtown Marriott at Gallivan. I also like the one at the (Hilton?) west of Pioneer Park, although the more I look as the plans the more it seems that it won't be a covered Porte Cochere like those two.

I like that both hotels will have retail, with a store on the corner in the Hyatt and restaurant/s in the Marriott.

I really would like to see a hotel taller than ESA in that spot, and of course would rather see the W that was rumored to be built there several year back, but considering the height restrictions, which I don't agree with, These two buildings will be a nice and much needed addition to the area.
     
     
  #1160  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:35 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post


I too like the that Hyatt Place will be right on the sidewalk, hopefully the sidewalk will be a little wider than the one that is there now, and that the Courtyard will allow for the dining, great location for a new restaurant or even a bar. I love the drive through Porte Cochere on the Marriott, while this one won't be nearly as grand, that is my favorite feature of the Downtown Marriott at Gallivan. I also like the one at the (Hilton?) west of Pioneer Park, although the more I look as the plans the more it seems that it won't be a covered Porte Cochere like those two.

I like that both hotels will have retail, with a store on the corner in the Hyatt and restaurant/s in the Marriott.

I really would like to see a hotel taller than ESA in that spot, and of course would rather see the W that was rumored to be built there several year back, but considering the height restrictions, which I don't agree with, These two buildings will be a nice and much needed addition to the area.
FM, I agree that there are some area's of Salt Lake's Downtown where the height limits seem a bit low.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.