HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #841  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Could someone please name these apartments for me? Thanks in advance.


That is hideous.
     
     
  #842  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:20 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Comrade, we will have to disagree on this one. Unless you were talking about the ugly credit union that's also in the picture. That looks like it used to be a shabby dry cleaner or something.

I like this residential building, especially the view from 300 South. I think its bulk and form fits well along the 300 South corridor and I'm glad to see added density in the neighborhood.
     
     
  #843  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:38 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I like it to UT Planner. It fits in well in east downtown, it pays homage to some of the 3-4 story walk ups that are in the area.
     
     
  #844  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I don't mind it but its nothing to rave about. It's like a cowboy properties development that wasn't built by cowboy properties... Hopefully their building standards are better.


And yes! That credit union is kind of hideous looking now that you mention it. The dry-cleaner analogy seems to fit.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!

Last edited by ajiuO; Aug 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM.
     
     
  #845  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:49 PM
Wasatch_One's Avatar
Wasatch_One Wasatch_One is offline
Wen Lambo
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I like it to UT Planner. It fits in well in east downtown, it pays homage to some of the 3-4 story walk ups that are in the area.
I agree with both of you as well.
     
     
  #846  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 7:50 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
I like it too. I even like the Federal Credit Union, it's the parking that makes the Credit Union building look out of place IMO. Use your hand to cover the parking in the picture, as well as the back half of the credit union, and I think you will all see what I mean.
     
     
  #847  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 7:52 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
It looks cheap. The siding looks like it was stolen from a trailer ... though I'll concede it could look better in person and certainly should look better when finished. But it's not a very attractive building.

I am often so underwhelmed by the architecture of all these new residential buildings. It rarely diversifies, is the same general color, and the same setup almost universally.
     
     
  #848  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:02 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Just to show you what I mean...









All the same drab coloring with the same type of siding. I mean, I don't necessarily think they're bad buildings, but it seems that's all we ever get anymore and the cool residential buildings that had been planned in the past always seem to get shelved.

Like...





Something different...but not overly insane.

That's why I like the Lotus so much...it's different.

Of course, I won't be completely negative. I am liking the Eastside Apartments, and I'm hopeful the Brunswick Apartments and Hardage Group Redevelopment happen - but I don't know if those are a go or what.

I just want a bit more diversity in our residential development. It seems Cowboy Properties is really guilty of using the same theme over and over and over again.
     
     
  #849  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:06 PM
T-Stan's Avatar
T-Stan T-Stan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 304
I think those apartments are an updated version of The Hillcrest Apartments on 1st Ave and A street:


     
     
  #850  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:10 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I to hope that Radi8 comes back around, and the container building. Those would be great additions to downtown.

I completely understand what you are talking about though Comrade, it does look very similar to those you posted. Hopefully we will get additional designs, like Radi8, container, and Lotus coming on sooner rather than later, then it won't seem like everything being built is the same.

Here is a shot from the front of the Broadway apartments.
     
     
  #851  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 9:29 PM
ski_steve ski_steve is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 467

New Main Street Cafe
http://c-o-2cafe.com/
     
     
  #852  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Broadway Place Apts.

While I'm not in love with the Architecture per se, or the finishing material, one thing I do love about these apartments is their Urban Design. I think it's great how this building interacts with the community around it, balconies on all sides and a courtyard facing the street on 300 south. I wonder how much of this was done by the developer and how much of it was mandated by City Planners?

If this structure weren't intended as senior housing I would think it would really liven up the area lol.

Great to see all of this housing pop up near the Trax Line, nice to see Private Investments capitalizing on that public investment.
     
     
  #853  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:57 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
The "Eastside Apartments" should help to liven up the neighborhood both with people and with a more contemporary design. 180 units

     
     
  #854  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:02 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Why is there a Wendy's attached to the photo?

I do think these developments are ultimately a good thing for the city, but I just wish there was more diversity among 'em. I also would love taller structures and don't understand why, for a point in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, Salt Lake embraced taller residential units outside downtown, but now appear to be against such development today.

I understand not wanting a structure to dominate a neighborhood, but eastern Salt Lake, between downtown and the U, is littered with those older, taller developments.

What happened to that mindset - especially for areas around 400 South?

     
     
  #855  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stan View Post
I think those apartments are an updated version of The Hillcrest Apartments on 1st Ave and A street:


I'm sorry but if by update you mean cheapening and less careful attention to proportion and scale than I agree. Hillcrest (a jewel from another age) is what I wish would get built and Broadway apartments is what we keep getting. Just compare those two photos - no contest IMHO.
     
     
  #856  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:47 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,732
^^^
We need to quit posting the side of the Broadway apartments as if it's the front. While I can see some easy elemental improvements for the front, it's a hell of a lot better than the side. Frankly, there are very few apartment buildings where the side is as desirable as the street it fronts, including those built in the early part of the past century.



.
     
     
  #857  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Why is there a Wendy's attached to the photo?

I do think these developments are ultimately a good thing for the city, but I just wish there was more diversity among 'em. I also would love taller structures and don't understand why, for a point in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, Salt Lake embraced taller residential units outside downtown, but now appear to be against such development today.

I understand not wanting a structure to dominate a neighborhood, but eastern Salt Lake, between downtown and the U, is littered with those older, taller developments.

What happened to that mindset - especially for areas around 400 South?


Go read the HOA site for American Towers and you will see why a lot of local apartment operators want nothing to do with such buildings... They just want to slap up the cheapest wood structure building as fast as they can... They certainly are not going to want to deal with the maintenance involved in a skyscraper...

Maybe we will get a high end developer in here at some point.... City Creak landing is very high quality construction.... To bad they didn't go taller.

I wish cowboy properties would just stop. My sister lived in one of their apartment buildings... Horrible construction quality. The place wasn't even 5 years old and the sub flooring was already coming loose.

I have a bad feeling that most of the buildings that cowboy is putting up wont make it 30 years :/
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #858  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,732
I actually like the look and coloring of the building as it's portrayed in this rendering. Hopefully, the same color scheme finish will be used on the trim when it's completed, rather than white trim we see in the pics. Also, I prefer that ribbed hardy board siding above the brick, (reminds me of Park City) way more than the typical stucco spray that is so prevalent around the country.


Last edited by delts145; Aug 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM.
     
     
  #859  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:46 PM
Lilljemalm Lilljemalm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 140
On the positive side regarding SLC area apartment architecture.... at least it's not Phoenix where most architecture is brown, beige, tan or brown, with a little more brown tossed in. They are really into the color of the surrounding soil down here.
     
     
  #860  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 4:21 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Windows can really make or break a building.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.