HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #701  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:20 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I'm not a fan of the prudential building. I think it's ugly and to me it just looks like a giant concrete bomb shelter. I will not miss it if it comes down. Besides it's not like it's even being used. I think it housed SLCC for awhile, but other then that it's just sat empty for awhile now.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #702  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:47 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
I agree with you Projects, I am not a huge fan of the building either. Although, after SLCC moved out, the LDS Church had offices in there up until the first part of this year I believe. We had a service missionary from my ward who worked in there as part of his mission up until late last year or the first of this year. He did mention that they were getting ready to move everyone out and I am wondering if they moved them all over to the West Church Office Building on North Temple when they finished renovating that building.
     
     
  #703  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:59 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
There are still people working in the building as of today. I haven't heard when they will be moving out of the building but the workers all work for the LDS Church.
     
     
  #704  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,635
     
     
  #705  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:36 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I actually really like the Prudential Building, at least the facade, I'm not sure what the remainder of the building looks like. I can say that there are still LDS Church employees working in the building but there is a lot of vacant space as well. This is coming from a friend that works there. I'm definitely disappointed that they are planning on tearing it down.

I personally think that there are much better downtown locations that don't involve any demolitions. Having said that, I don't think that anything is going to stop the momentum for this location. The Mayor and Council have made up their minds, they've paid for studies and limited design work at the location and there is a property owner that is very willing to sell. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but I don't think it's very likely.
     
     
  #706  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Utahrd!!! Utahrd!!! is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
I had a SLCC communication class at the Prudential Building back in 2004 . In my opinion, it does not fit in with anything else on Main. (Bring it down)
The idea of the tower of the theater being used as the 1000 room hotel is a great one!! Wouldn't it kill two birds with one stone?
When people speak of broadway theaters, I always think of that Seinfeld episode, with Joe Davola and Pavarotti. LOL so funny! I like the idea of people crowding the sidewalks on Main before the performance. Or maybe scalping tickets in the alleyway on Regent.....LOL.
Now if City Creek would only open their garage on Sundays....
     
     
  #707  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahrd!!! View Post
I had a SLCC communication class at the Prudential Building back in 2004 . In my opinion, it does not fit in with anything else on Main. (Bring it down)
The idea of the tower of the theater being used as the 1000 room hotel is a great one!! Wouldn't it kill two birds with one stone?
When people speak of broadway theaters, I always think of that Seinfeld episode, with Joe Davola and Pavarotti. LOL so funny! I like the idea of people crowding the sidewalks on Main before the performance. Or maybe scalping tickets in the alleyway on Regent.....LOL.
Now if City Creek would only open their garage on Sundays....
I don't agree with your logic of bringing it down because it doesn't fit with anything else on Main. Why would we want Main street to be a generic place with all either old or new buildings, why not have a mix of era's in the downtown core? It shows that SLC has continued to grow over the decades.

Actually the UPAC tower as the 1,000 room hotel wouldn't work. The hotel needs to have accompanying convention space and ideally connected to the Salt Palace.
     
     
  #708  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:57 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
While I am not a huge lover of the prudential building, it would be nice if the site across the street, surrounding the little Zions Bank was more of a serious option.

That way Regent St could see a much larger revival, could keep the Prudential building, even though the old fountain is gone, get ride of the old Mr. Mac/NAC building on Main and connect it over to Regent St.

Hey Old & New, any updates on the group that is trying to get the theater moved across the street?
Discussions are still ongoing. I should have an update in the next 48 hours.
     
     
  #709  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:02 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,635
I think the Prudential Building is ugly and hardly significant. I've always thought this, of course, so that should come as no surprise.

I wouldn't want to demolish it for a parking lot, but if it's getting demolished for something better that can actually add the vitality and vibrancy of downtown, I say bring on the wrecking ball.
     
     
  #710  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:19 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537


We don't need to replace it when we can reuse it... Also, don't forget we want to save the older prudential bank building next door too, it's the one with the classical grand-hall interior.
     
     
  #711  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:42 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Surprised no one's nerding out to that yet...Becker is announcing who the architects for the "Mega-Theater" are tomorrow. Wednesday. Check out the article Comrade linked to for details.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #712  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:16 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,746
LOL, I was thinking the same thing Jedi. Does this mean we're going to have some renderings tomorrow also?
     
     
  #713  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:32 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
I'm hoping they choose HKS partnering with Pelli Clarke and Pelli. I think we would get a more iconic theater out of that group than any of the others. In looking of the partnering firms websites for their theaters that they have currently designed, I was not at all impressed with H3 Hardy. I really hope they don't choose them. Pfeiffer has done some nice theaters including the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure and the theater at the Palms in Las Vegas but for our downtown, I think we get the better design from Pelli. Pelli has done the Schuster Performing Arts Center in Dayton, Ohio, along with the North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Art Center and the Performing Arts Center in Miami and the the Dewan Filharmonik Petronas in the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.
     
     
  #714  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:37 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,282
I'm much more interested in the tower and it's renderings than the theater....
     
     
  #715  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:44 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing Jedi. Does this mean we're going to have some renderings tomorrow also?

I hope so. I hope we see renderings for the tower as well as the theater. Can't wait.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #716  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:51 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I'm much more interested in the tower and it's renderings than the theater....
If the tower is by Hamilton Partners I'm not really all that worried about the tower design, I'm mostly excited to see the tower lobby, aka theater lobby. It needs to have a dramatic street presence, including a marquee. I will be there tomorrow and I'm expecting that there will be prelimnary design renderings.
     
     
  #717  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Breaking news

Breaking News

Just came across my twitter.

Salt Lake County Council votes 6-3 to support Performing Arts Center in downtown Salt Lake City

Perfect timing on the vote considering the announcement tomorrow.

P.S. The dancing bananas where not part of the tweet, those were added by me. hehe
     
     
  #718  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
This is very good news. Hopefully we will get more good news from the county in a month or so regarding the convention hotel.

Things are starting to move forward faster now.

As others have said before me...

Bring on the cranes...
     
     
  #719  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Breaking News

Just came across my twitter.

Salt Lake County Council votes 6-3 to support Performing Arts Center in downtown Salt Lake City

Perfect timing on the vote considering the announcement tomorrow.

P.S. The dancing bananas where not part of the tweet, those were added by me. hehe

Fantastic news. I'll go ahead and add a few more dancing bananas.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #720  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 1:21 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
On of things I liked most about the county's involvement is this (from the Trib article):
"
The price tag comes attached to an operating agreement for the county that would split profits 50-50 up to $2 million. It also would pay the county $600,000 a year to mitigate impacts to the Capitol Theatre, Abravanel Hall and Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, which the county operates."

I'm glad they're realizing that there will likely be some initial negative impact to the other venues, and they're planning for it. I do believe that over time, the new PAC will create a synergy with the other venues and help to grow and foster the cultural/art scene downtown, but there will be some growing pains. This douses my fear some.
Wise move.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.