Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot
Yes, we do! And it's a fact that six of our tallest/largest were originally proposed to be even taller! Furthermore, during 1963, there was even an office/hotel proposal for a development comprising of twin 45-storey towers!
|
Oh wow...I had no idea!
Well, a new tallest may be coming sooner than later. I've always felt that although Regina isn't the largest city in Saskatchewan, since Saskatchewan has finally found its economic stride, it could end up (and likely will end up) being the business center hub. In Alberta, something similar happened in the 40s/50s and Calgary was always the second largest city.
However, the businesses ultimately chose to locate their head offices in Calgary, over Edmonton, and the rest is history.
I think Regina could have a similar advantage. Unlike Calgary though, its the provincial capital - which would be interesting. Not every province has the provincial capital as the largest city. I know its not a d*** measureing contest between Regina & Saskatoon and I'm not trying to start anything but just from an observational POV, its interesting to speculate which direction those two cities could go.
Mind you, the future is always hard to predict (for instance Winnipeg was supposed to be the #11-12 CMA this past census according to "experts" in 2001) and Alberta's population boom (which will unlikely ever be repeated elsewhere including Alberta) benefited from inter-provincial migration more than anything, but one thing safe to predict is Saskatchewan has a very bright future. Its good to see.
These construction threads are already seeing regular activity...and when I was in Regina last month, I saw tons of development.