Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
I understand that the groceries are run by the Bay/Zellers. Maybe that wasn't always the case. The Bay has a lot of third party operators in there. It would be great if the grocery store could be run by a third party, and moved up to the main floor. Better traffic, better visibility, better hours.
Not helpful Mininari!! 
|
Yeah, I know, I'm just kidding!

Honestly, Its a shame to see another Canadian retailer bite the dust (even if it was presently owned by foreigners). The downtown location in the bay definitely should go on as something -- hopefully this is one of the few locations they speak of operating under a different auspice. I've never been in it... I would imagine it was doing well up to this point?
Dare I suggest that redevelopment of the safeway / zellers follow a mixed-use model, and maybe have some rental / market housing attached to it, or perhaps above? There's always a need for more housing near the University.

Safeway owns it? Lease expires in March 2013, so perhaps they'll have plans ready to go shortly afterwards.
In that case, no mixed-use is likely