HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4261  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:00 PM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is online now
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,379
That tower is slowly growing on me. Although I prefer a tower with more girth, I think the long and thin look will nice.
__________________
Back then, I used to be indecisive.

Now, I'm not so sure.
     
     
  #4262  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:28 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Those both seem likely. H&M looks for around 20,000 sq ft, Abercrombie looks for spots starting at 6,000 and going up. I think Zara will be on the target list too with a store around 20,000.

London Drugs would be a good fit for the area but doesn't seem to fit with the push to move the mall proper up-market. My guess would be that if London Drugs opens in the area the stadium redeveopment is the most likely site. I also wonder that in addition to the rumored Marshalls for the old arena site we might see a Homesense open around Polo Park.

There is also the rumor going back to Asper's The Elms development that Simon's is really interested in the Winnipeg market. I am wondering if they might still be wanting to be in the Polo area or if they have refocused on Seasons of Tuxedo.
I would be thinking even bigger than that.

I personally would like to see any or all of the following.

- Crate and Barrel
- Williams-Sonoma
- Pottery Barn
- Restoration Hardware

Home decor stores would love the Zellers location based on the fact that it has its own warehouse/storage space and loading bay.
     
     
  #4263  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:08 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would be thinking even bigger than that.

I personally would like to see any or all of the following.

- Crate and Barrel
- Williams-Sonoma
- Pottery Barn
- Restoration Hardware

Home decor stores would love the Zellers location based on the fact that it has its own warehouse/storage space and loading bay.
The problem is landing space in Polo Park mall proper requires two sides to agree to rent the space. From the other recent changes to the mall it would seem they are focusing on mall based merchants which are new to the Winnipeg market/exclusive to the mall with the only recent exception being Bath and Body Works. While those retailers would all be good additions to Winnipeg, as the developer of the arena and stadium sites, Cadallic Fairview seems to have more incentive to keep these out of the mall than to be actively persuing them to take up mall space.

I really think that unless a new, high-end and big footprint retailer wants the Zellers space it will be split into multiple mid to small size units. The reason for this is it would give the mall an opportunity to add a good amount of space without building the talked about addition. As the lease holder on the other properties they could potentinal land all four of the retailers you listed, plus the ones I talked about just outside of the mall proper.
     
     
  #4264  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:23 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The problem is landing space in Polo Park mall proper requires two sides to agree to rent the space. From the other recent changes to the mall it would seem they are focusing on mall based merchants which are new to the Winnipeg market/exclusive to the mall with the only recent exception being Bath and Body Works. While those retailers would all be good additions to Winnipeg, as the developer of the arena and stadium sites, Cadallic Fairview seems to have more incentive to keep these out of the mall than to be actively persuing them to take up mall space.

I really think that unless a new, high-end and big footprint retailer wants the Zellers space it will be split into multiple mid to small size units. The reason for this is it would give the mall an opportunity to add a good amount of space without building the talked about addition. As the lease holder on the other properties they could potentinal land all four of the retailers you listed, plus the ones I talked about just outside of the mall proper.
The Zellers space is over 97,000 sq ft.

It could easily house all 4 of the stores (who tend to reside in larger indoor malls) I listed and still have ~40,000 sq ft left.
     
     
  #4265  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 6:46 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I believe the City doesn't like it because it is proposed for an area of Osborne village that has a 5 or 6 storey height restriction. If if understand it correctly, this restriction is both in the City bylaws and the Osborne Village Neighborhood Plan that supersedes the City.

They would need a variance (obviously) and it would be a hard sell given the fact it is proposed to sit right beside single family houses.

The plan is for 2 or 3 levels of parking above grade, and the "pencil" tower on top.
Ah that 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 to hear. Those are some serious hurdles to pass.

So its likely not going to go through, or, they would have to relocate it elsewhere if they were bent on building it.

Hopefully the developers are willing to explore other areas. Though, shouldn't they have checked it with both city bylaws and neighbourhood regulations before they decided to spend the time and energy into proposing something as ambitious as this?
     
     
  #4266  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 7:13 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,927
^ proposals are the easy part!

I think it morphed into this design because of the parking requirements on a small lot, unit size and price point to pay for said parking. I guess going high made the most sense?
     
     
  #4267  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 7:23 PM
Lenin's Avatar
Lenin Lenin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 334
This is my first time learning of the pencil tower in the Village as well. I'm not entirely sure how feasible the project is, but that area of the city does remain a popular destination. Of course in my fantasy most proposals like this would succeed in our city.

Hopefully if this proposal is taken seriously and moves on to the next stage the developers can find a way to demonstrate to area residents that the tower's slim build would serve to reduce the shadow factor, as well as not be too obstructive of views, or too imposing for detached homes in the area.
     
     
  #4268  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 8:56 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,076
I spoke to the architect of that tower. He didn't think it was all that likely. But it isn't dead.
     
     
  #4269  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 9:45 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ proposals are the easy part!

I think it morphed into this design because of the parking requirements on a small lot, unit size and price point to pay for said parking. I guess going high made the most sense?
I do applaud the developers for taking a chance. I wonder how many proposals you guys behind the scenes have seen in the last few years not go through that were akin to this and reminiscent of some ambitious (for Winnipeg) towers

though have there been any recent developments to pass with an accepted variance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
This is my first time learning of the pencil tower in the Village as well. I'm not entirely sure how feasible the project is, but that area of the city does remain a popular destination. Of course in my fantasy most proposals like this would succeed in our city.

Hopefully if this proposal is taken seriously and moves on to the next stage the developers can find a way to demonstrate to area residents that the tower's slim build would serve to reduce the shadow factor, as well as not be too obstructive of views, or too imposing for detached homes in the area.
That sounds like a reasonable argument on their side to make, and is probably one of the main reasons there is a height restriction in the area. However, the chance of it passing the bylaws are much less likely, so its safe to say this one probably won't make it out. Would be nice though. That tower would be a big deal in that area, and few ways are better to add density than build a tower lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I spoke to the architect of that tower. He didn't think it was all that likely. But it isn't dead.
Good to hear. Though him not believing its likely is potentially telling. Hopefully they can somehow make a go of it. If the developers really want to build this tower, they can always look at alternate locations (there are some other areas downtown this would look nice in) or explore their options with finding something that works with the city (shorten it? sell the land elsewhere? parking lot? )

I think its going to be hard to pass the city bylaws; more so the neighbourhood plan, given the potential ramifications (if they let this pass, then they might have to question the entire plan, rewrite it or whatever, and ultimately it might be a juxtaposing to the original vision since the plan has these restrictions in the first place)
     
     
  #4270  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
In Thunder Bay, developers approach these kinds of developments with a mentality of "This is what we want to build, how much do we need to change the city by-law to get it approved?" Since most of our developers are actually Winnipeg developers, I am going to assume that is their approach there as well?
     
     
  #4271  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
That tower is slowly growing on me. Although I prefer a tower with more girth, I think the long and thin look will nice.
Thats what she said.
     
     
  #4272  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
good_dude's Avatar
good_dude good_dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 'peg city
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I believe the City doesn't like it because it is proposed for an area of Osborne village that has a 5 or 6 storey height restriction. If if understand it correctly, this restriction is both in the City bylaws and the Osborne Village Neighborhood Plan that supersedes the City.

They would need a variance (obviously) and it would be a hard sell given the fact it is proposed to sit right beside single family houses.

The plan is for 2 or 3 levels of parking above grade, and the "pencil" tower on top.
Why can't people propose these things NOT next to single family houses? I like it but not in that spot.
     
     
  #4273  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 1:32 AM
Enjoy03 Enjoy03 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Those both seem likely. H&M looks for around 20,000 sq ft, Abercrombie looks for spots starting at 6,000 and going up. I think Zara will be on the target list too with a store around 20,000.
I don't really care for Abercrombie but a Zara and H&M would be awesome!
     
     
  #4274  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 3:49 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy03 View Post
I don't really care for Abercrombie but a Zara and H&M would be awesome!
Abercrombie is for midgets. A few years back I saw a nice shirt on one of their displays in Minneapolis so I went in to try it on. I could barely get into a XXL. It was skin tight. I am normaly a L or XL. Their clothes are not for regular sized people.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4275  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 5:17 PM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is online now
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Thats what she said.
Glad you caught that!
__________________
Back then, I used to be indecisive.

Now, I'm not so sure.
     
     
  #4276  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:39 PM
Enjoy03 Enjoy03 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Anyone know whats going on at Whittier Park? Theres a fenced area with Jeds construction signs close to the entrance on St-Joseph
     
     
  #4277  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:41 PM
bomberguy's Avatar
bomberguy bomberguy is offline
GQMF
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy03 View Post
I don't really care for Abercrombie but a Zara and H&M would be awesome!
Zara please! I'm dying for more blazers.
     
     
  #4278  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy03 View Post
Anyone know whats going on at Whittier Park? Theres a fenced area with Jeds construction signs close to the entrance on St-Joseph
I think they are upgrading the washroom facilities.



........regarding the pencil tower, I think it is supposed to have 31 units. If you are half decent at math, that works out to one unit per floor.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4279  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 12:47 AM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
........regarding the pencil tower, I think it is supposed to have 31 units. If you are half decent at math, that works out to one unit per floor.
one unit per floor???!


whoa!!
     
     
  #4280  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 12:55 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Wouldn't be the first tower in Winnipeg to have one unit per floor, though.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.