HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4221  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:20 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
At least it's getting built, unlike a certain McPhillips eyesore...
Good news on that front. Driving by the other day and they have re-comenced work on the half finished buildings. Hopefully they'll keep working on them til completion this time *fingers crossed*
     
     
  #4222  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
Donovanf's Avatar
Donovanf Donovanf is offline
Creative Accountant
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 816
MPI: Winnipeg's Artis/Longboat awarded one-year option to prepare development plan for 2 downtown MPI-owned surface parking lots.
     
     
  #4223  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
I'm a bit disappointed all that blue paint plastered over the surface around that park wasn't REAL water.
Would've made for a fantastic water park for the children.
There is a splash pad located at the north end of the "river".
     
     
  #4224  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:44 PM
Donovanf's Avatar
Donovanf Donovanf is offline
Creative Accountant
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 816
     
     
  #4225  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:01 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
^Nice! (And not surprising longboat would be involved)
     
     
  #4226  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:04 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Good news on that front. Driving by the other day and they have re-comenced work on the half finished buildings. Hopefully they'll keep working on them til completion this time *fingers crossed*
^ correct. This project is back on.
     
     
  #4227  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:13 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to this stuff. How did this process work? Would the different firms present concrete plans for the site with renderings and stuff or would it be just more informal and when MPI decides which firm to work with they move forward with concrete ideas?
     
     
  #4228  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:16 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
MPI: Winnipeg's Artis/Longboat awarded one-year option to prepare development plan for 2 downtown MPI-owned surface parking lots.
interesting.....im guessing that's ray wanderful as the architect.

i know someone who might be involved...i'll try and get some deets.
     
     
  #4229  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:17 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,076
i also noticed that studio 511, that church on river beside safeway, being turned into condos is under full on construction now.
     
     
  #4230  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:42 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
I just got back from the "Target" Polo Park North - Phase 3 announcement. I realize the drawings were just preliminary but it displayed the "Target" as having underground parking. I say "Target" because they haven't signed on the bottom line YET. They will, as they had given Shindico/Cadillac Fairview permission to mention they were interested in pursuing the deal. This bodes real well for Polo Park Shopping Centre as they are maxed out for space and this will free up about 85,000 sq ft of space (Zellers) to redevelop into new units for the wave of coming retailers.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4231  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:43 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i also noticed that studio 511, that church on river beside safeway, being turned into condos is under full on construction now.
I saw that the other day too. Lots of holes punched through the exterior brick walls. I think Drew knows the most about this project.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4232  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 6:08 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I just got back from the "Target" Polo Park North - Phase 3 announcement. I realize the drawings were just preliminary but it displayed the "Target" as having underground parking. I say "Target" because they haven't signed on the bottom line YET. They will, as they had given Shindico/Cadillac Fairview permission to mention they were interested in pursuing the deal. This bodes real well for Polo Park Shopping Centre as they are maxed out for space and this will free up about 85,000 sq ft of space (Zellers) to redevelop into new units for the wave of coming retailers.
That's awesome news. Underground parking would be more than welcome in that area, and if there ends up being redevelopment up top where the Zellers is, I hope they do it such that it becomes developed how you mention (multiple units) not just signing one replacement tenant for the entire space.
     
     
  #4233  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 6:30 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I saw that the other day too. Lots of holes punched through the exterior brick walls. I think Drew knows the most about this project.
This project has been underway for a while now.

The interior framing is just about finished. There are now 4 floors built inside of the existing building, with additional mezzanines above some of the 4th floor suites. The holes punched through the walls are for balconies.
     
     
  #4234  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 6:55 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This project has been underway for a while now.

The interior framing is just about finished. There are now 4 floors built inside of the existing building, with additional mezzanines above some of the 4th floor suites. The holes punched through the walls are for balconies.
Do you know if G & E owns the parking lot across the street that's being used for trades parking?
     
     
  #4235  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:04 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Do you know if G & E owns the parking lot across the street that's being used for trades parking?

I don't know the owner of the lot across the street but he is preliminarily proposing a 31 storey condo building on that site. Yeah, i know that site is tiny - so the proposed building is very skinny........did i say very skinny, i meant very, very skinny.

I don't know what chance it has but the idea is cool and would look awesome rivaling 55 Nassau essentially across the street. The render reminded me of that ultra thin tower going up in New York - not the 1,400 ft part of it but the appearance.

432 Park Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4236  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:05 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Do you know if G & E owns the parking lot across the street that's being used for trades parking?
^ no, I have no idea about that. I do know there is limited parking on site. I believe this project required a car-share program to go ahead due to the less than Code minimum parking.
     
     
  #4237  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:07 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't know the owner of the lot across the street but he is preliminarily proposing a 31 storey condo building on that site. Yeah, i know that site is tiny - so the proposed building is very skinny........did i say very skinny, i meant very, very skinny.

I don't know what chance it has but the idea is cool and would look awesome rivaling 55 Nassau essentially across the street. The render reminded me of that ultra thin tower going up in New York - not the 1,400 ft part of it but the appearance.

432 Park Ave
I heard about this too. To be honest, I don't think it has much of a chance to actually get built and apparently the city hates the idea...

but who knows...
     
     
  #4238  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:19 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't know the owner of the lot across the street but he is preliminarily proposing a 31 storey condo building on that site. Yeah, i know that site is tiny - so the proposed building is very skinny........did i say very skinny, i meant very, very skinny.

I don't know what chance it has but the idea is cool and would look awesome rivaling 55 Nassau essentially across the street. The render reminded me of that ultra thin tower going up in New York - not the 1,400 ft part of it but the appearance.

432 Park Ave
this?


from: http://www.davidpennerarchitect.ca
     
     
  #4239  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:22 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ no, I have no idea about that. I do know there is limited parking on site. I believe this project required a car-share program to go ahead due to the less than Code minimum parking.
Yeah, I was curious if they were maybe planning a project across the street that would have U/G parking for the Studio 511 project as well. Is the parking all going to go behind the building? There is not much space there at all..

I'd love to see that extra bit of parking in the Safeway lot next to this lot developed as well. The only car I ever see parked there is the one used by Peg City Car Co-op.
     
     
  #4240  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:38 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
^ I think there are between 20 and 30 parking spots on site and yes it is only behind the building. Safeway or someone else owns the rest of the parking on the east side of the building, and I think they want a stupid amount of money monthly per spot.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.