HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4161  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:52 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't know what part of the perimeter highway your referring to about flooding or did you mean the floodway?

I am guessing you are all reading this the WRONG way, Example the interchange @ Dugald and the Perimeter was to have an overpass, this was totally in the books, but we ended up with a Massive FLOOD in this province that cost over a Billion in Damages, then we had another massive Flood last year that has exceeded over a Billion again. Thus the Province / City has put a hold on that interchange. I hope that makes this more clear.

If not, then how about this, If we did not have either flood then we would have had a much better chance of them finishing what they started. Never mind the millions spent on the Floodway expansion.
     
     
  #4162  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:47 AM
ILYR's Avatar
ILYR ILYR is offline
ILYR
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
No, Manitoba doesn't LIKELY have the same amount of oil and natural gas as Alberta, however there is still a fair amount that has yet to be tapped. I work in the oil and gas industry and have talked to various people, all with knowledge of wells being drilled as far east as Manitou and Morden (which makes perfect sense if you think of the amount of marine fossils in the area, what would you logically associate those kinds of large organic deposits with?) back in the 30s, all producing but being quickly capped because the technology wasn't there at the time to make it economically viable. However, with the fracking technology that we have today, those wells would be completely viable. I think the issues is that there is still not much incentive for companies to explore further east fo where they are today. Well, give them that incentive and you would be amazed at what they can accomplish. I suspect that in a few years time the exploration push will continue further east and north in Manitoba.

So again, Manitoba will never be Alberta, but don't underestimate what your province have for oil and gas production, because it likely has much more than you could ever anticipate.
Perhaps there are a few large discoveries ahead, but we would have to increase production 14X to equal Saskatchewan and over 62X to equal Alberta. Realistically, based on the exsisting geological knowledge of the province and historical drilling, Manitoba might double or triple its production. To get anywhere near Saskatchewan would mean that the existing geological knowledge is completely way off. Which I don't think is the case. Just as Alberta will never be a major nickel producer, Manitoba will never be a major oil producer.
     
     
  #4163  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:54 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is online now
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
On the more comical side of things.....Canalta is building a 3 story hotel in Selkirk Manitoba later this fall.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4164  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 1:15 PM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Perhaps there are a few large discoveries ahead, but we would have to increase production 14X to equal Saskatchewan and over 62X to equal Alberta. Realistically, based on the exsisting geological knowledge of the province and historical drilling, Manitoba might double or triple its production. To get anywhere near Saskatchewan would mean that the existing geological knowledge is completely way off. Which I don't think is the case. Just as Alberta will never be a major nickel producer, Manitoba will never be a major oil producer.
I never claimed Manitoba will be Alberta. Not once did I do that. What I am saying is that there is a better than decent chance that there are more oil and gas reserves further north and east within the province. I'm not trying to make this out into some sort of 🞵🞵🞵🞵-measuring contest as you seem to be. I'm just stating that many people are underestimating the potential for further oil and gas activities in the province. That is all.
     
     
  #4165  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:10 PM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
On the more comical side of things.....Canalta is building a 3 story hotel in Selkirk Manitoba later this fall.
No waterpark or parkade?
     
     
  #4166  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:42 PM
EastK EastK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I never claimed Manitoba will be Alberta. Not once did I do that. What I am saying is that there is a better than decent chance that there are more oil and gas reserves further north and east within the province. I'm not trying to make this out into some sort of 🞵🞵🞵🞵-measuring contest as you seem to be. I'm just stating that many people are underestimating the potential for further oil and gas activities in the province. That is all.
Its not exactly Alberta production but ours is growing nicely.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/busines...or-manitoba-oil-producers-154388325.html
     
     
  #4167  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 9:20 AM
ILYR's Avatar
ILYR ILYR is offline
ILYR
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I never claimed Manitoba will be Alberta. Not once did I do that. What I am saying is that there is a better than decent chance that there are more oil and gas reserves further north and east within the province. I'm not trying to make this out into some sort of 🞵🞵🞵🞵-measuring contest as you seem to be. I'm just stating that many people are underestimating the potential for further oil and gas activities in the province. That is all.
I guess I hit a soft spot, but there is no measuring contest going on from my side. Just noting that the realistic potential of oil production growth in Manitoba is relatively small, so any "oil boom" in Manitoba will be small. Manitoba has actually very high quality crude oil, just not much and with a limited amount of ground for expanding growth. Remember the Western Canadian sedimentary basin thins out quickly to the east and north. This is esspecially in the case of traditional oil producing formations. In 10 years the province has doubled production, which is good. And perhaps that will happen again over the next 10 years. But geologically speaking there are real limitations in this province for oil. With respect to natural gas, at present there is no natural gas production in Manitoba. One could argue that this is then a potential for growth. On the other hand one could argue that the reason is simply there is no natural gas. So to sum up. Yes I agree that there is potential for growth. However, I believe that realistically this growth is limited.
     
     
  #4168  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:06 PM
Darren Tate Darren Tate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
However, with the fracking technology that we have today, those wells would be completely viable.
Fracking? Seriously? Ever watch a documentary called Gasland? If you haven't, you should. Fracking is totally evil. In the US, there have been examples of fracking contaminating the drinking water of numerous communities. People are becoming violently ill and being forced to get their water elsewhere—but of course the oil industry simply turns a blind eye to it. Fracking is just as ecologically dicey as the oil sands projects—and it's happening in our own back yards. Anyone who welcomes fracking into their community is making a deal with the devil.

Last edited by Darren Tate; Jun 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM.
     
     
  #4169  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
I guess I hit a soft spot, but there is no measuring contest going on from my side. Just noting that the realistic potential of oil production growth in Manitoba is relatively small, so any "oil boom" in Manitoba will be small. Manitoba has actually very high quality crude oil, just not much and with a limited amount of ground for expanding growth. Remember the Western Canadian sedimentary basin thins out quickly to the east and north. This is esspecially in the case of traditional oil producing formations. In 10 years the province has doubled production, which is good. And perhaps that will happen again over the next 10 years. But geologically speaking there are real limitations in this province for oil. With respect to natural gas, at present there is no natural gas production in Manitoba. One could argue that this is then a potential for growth. On the other hand one could argue that the reason is simply there is no natural gas. So to sum up. Yes I agree that there is potential for growth. However, I believe that realistically this growth is limited.
I guess it must be a soft spot with you too because you keep coming back to "argue" with me I would say that yes, growth is limited. And by limited, I would say from about the Dauphin-Swan River areas southeast to Morden, so in that triangle of the province. There, I've defined where I do feel there is potential growth for oil and gas in Manitoba's future based on past drilling records. Are we cool now?
     
     
  #4170  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 1:08 AM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Heritage Landing is out for tender. Approx 265 ft........so hopefully by the end of the year there will be a 4th tower crane up in Winnipeg. (actually possibly 5 if Women's is up then.)

So about 80 meters. Tied for 14th tallest once ALT is built. We NEED a new tallest!!!! NOW that would be exciting. With class A office vacancy lower than 4%, maybe soon we'll get one.
     
     
  #4171  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 3:25 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Definitely need something to fill in those gaps between the buildings at Portage and Main. It isn't a skyline as much as it is a line up of towers of equal height. The diamond shaped parking lot bounded by Notre Dame/Ellis/Smith/King would make a good location for a new tallest, I think. It would have to be at least 150m and preferably not a flat roof.
     
     
  #4172  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 7:23 AM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
So about 80 meters. Tied for 14th tallest once ALT is built. We NEED a new tallest!!!! NOW that would be exciting. With class A office vacancy lower than 4%, maybe soon we'll get one.
Dear trueviking,

Please throw us a hint!

Sincerely, fellow SSP forumers.

     
     
  #4173  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 7:35 AM
ILYR's Avatar
ILYR ILYR is offline
ILYR
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I guess it must be a soft spot with you too because you keep coming back to "argue" with me I would say that yes, growth is limited. And by limited, I would say from about the Dauphin-Swan River areas southeast to Morden, so in that triangle of the province. There, I've defined where I do feel there is potential growth for oil and gas in Manitoba's future based on past drilling records. Are we cool now?
No soft spot here. Just "debating" and/or "discussing" the potential for oil and gas in Manitoba on an online forum.
     
     
  #4174  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 2:48 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is online now
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
So about 80 meters. Tied for 14th tallest once ALT is built. We NEED a new tallest!!!! NOW that would be exciting. With class A office vacancy lower than 4%, maybe soon we'll get one.
I think for the next few years we might have to settle for parking lot fillers and overall bulking up of the skyline. This is a good thing. I believe there will be some nice buildings with good to above average height for downtown but I can't see any new tallest for a bit.

It will be nice though to have......let's see, 1,2,3,4,5,6 maybe 6 or 7 tower cranes up downtown in the next couple of years if all happens like it possibly could. The look of downtown will be pretty different in ten years if all possibilities are built.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #4175  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:14 PM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,872
An updated rendering for Heritage Landing from the Crystal Construction website:

__________________
WINNIPEG: Home of Canada's first skyscraper!
     
     
  #4176  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 5:24 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
So about 80 meters. Tied for 14th tallest once ALT is built. We NEED a new tallest!!!! NOW that would be exciting. With class A office vacancy lower than 4%, maybe soon we'll get one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Definitely need something to fill in those gaps between the buildings at Portage and Main. It isn't a skyline as much as it is a line up of towers of equal height. The diamond shaped parking lot bounded by Notre Dame/Ellis/Smith/King would make a good location for a new tallest, I think. It would have to be at least 150m and preferably not a flat roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Dear trueviking,

Please throw us a hint!

Sincerely, fellow SSP forumers.

A new tallest sure would be nice, that's for sure. Hell, why settle for one new tallest? I'd love to see our current tallest towers that were built many many decades ago all get displaced, by more than one position. That would be nice. I'm sure everyone would love to see that.

But as far as office space goes, who would build a new tower? Have there been any significant new office proposals in a while? I am not sure about this. I can see office space being tight and highly sought after, but will it be to the extent that can justify building a new 130+ metre tower? This I have not seen any concrete evidence for. Then again I do not follow the office rates in Winnipeg and its relation to current construction costs, along with the possibility for such a potential to occur.

If in the next few years we get a new tallest proposal come through (which I do not doubt will happen, one day...even biff and tv have mentioned in the past there may be some interest in that regard) it would likely be residential.

However, before such a residential tower would come up, there needs to be a critical mass of sorts reached in downtown for such a tower to be feasible. Such a tower has yet to even go up in Osbourne Village, so downtown is an even further long shot. I think we are more likely to see residential towers downtown (as there is such a high demand with the very low vacancy rates here) with new ones popping up every year or two. That said they will likely be in the 60-80 metre range; nothing over 100 (It would be a welcome surprise if so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think for the next few years we might have to settle for parking lot fillers and overall bulking up of the skyline. This is a good thing. I believe there will be some nice buildings with good to above average height for downtown but I can't see any new tallest for a bit.

It will be nice though to have......let's see, 1,2,3,4,5,6 maybe 6 or 7 tower cranes up downtown in the next couple of years if all happens like it possibly could. The look of downtown will be pretty different in ten years if all possibilities are built.
I agree, and I hope all these possibilities do end up occurring. Would be nice for the city. We're on the verge of breaking 800k CMA in the next several years; such a transition is rare (as it is the "80%" milestone on the path towards a million; market momentum increases quite a bit with this number for some reason) and with it comes a lot of development if developers take advantage of the opportunity. Talking with developers out west, I've come to understand they are well aware of Winnipeg and its bright future, but few have actually taken the initiative to go forward with something even if moving forward includes assessing the market potential here.

We're still in the process of getting over that hump. Its going to take a few visionaries (not in terms of design but in terms of business) to move over that hump, and then we will see what I believe to be a steady flow of development involving cranes.

We're already seeing that....has anyone else seen this many cranes regularly in Winnipeg since around the time the Hydro tower was built? I sure as hell didn't! That tower seemed to indicate a kind of "start" to all these cranes popping up downtown.


With Biff, I agree that its better to build the density first. Density is so key, it is not even funny. I would take density first any day because with that comes the critical mass needed for downtown "livelihood".

A great example of the power of density downtown vs. building height, is Ottawa. Ottawa - though larger in population than Winnipeg - doesn't have any taller buildings than Winnipeg, and we have more buildings in Winnipeg 100+ meters than Ottawa does.

That said, the two downtowns are completely different in feel. If anyone has been to Ottawa downtown, it is so dense and there isn't a parking lot lot to be seen. Very different from Winnipeg's sparse, spread out downtown littered with as many parking lots as there are buildings. It gives Ottawa a much "bigger city" feel, simply because of the buildings popped in at every corner.

If over the next 5 years, we can have Heritage, CMHR and ALT done along with the Dubnovik Tower, plus some development with the parking lots (Convention centre hotel+expansion, MPI development) along with residential units and some new proposals to look forward to, it will be a totally different downtown than it was before the Hydro tower was built. If during that time the focus is on density, the tall towers will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
An updated rendering for Heritage Landing from the Crystal Construction website:
Nice, its looking pretty good. When its the first new downtown apartment tower in over a decade (maybe even two?), I am not going to be picky at all.
     
     
  #4177  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 6:58 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
An updated rendering for Heritage Landing from the Crystal Construction website:

thanks for posting otl

the townhouses look really nice but those punched windows on the tower... I guess they had to find savings somewhere. great news for downtown though, I can't wait to see it go up. the building is still going to rentals, right? the townhouses too?
     
     
  #4178  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:32 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
thanks for posting otl

the townhouses look really nice but those punched windows on the tower... I guess they had to find savings somewhere. great news for downtown though, I can't wait to see it go up. the building is still going to rentals, right? the townhouses too?
The building, to my knowledge yes. Townhouses I'm not sure.
     
     
  #4179  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 6:45 AM
Darren Tate Darren Tate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
On the more comical side of things.....Canalta is building a 3 story hotel in Selkirk Manitoba later this fall.
I saw a Canalta hotel passing through Moosomin SK last summer. Makes Motel 6 look 🞵🞵🞵🞵. And that name "Canalta", how unimaginative can you get? "Let's make a word out of "Canada" and "Alberta"! How clever!" Sure puts "Canad Inns" to shame, doesn't it?
     
     
  #4180  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 2:20 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is online now
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
.......oh yeah, i forgot. Convention Centre expansion announcement today at 1pm.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.