Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili
The more I think about what RouteAhead needs to accomplish, the more I am convinced it is really about creating a "high frequency network" with all the associated branding, operational improvements, information enhancements and amenities.
|
100% agreed. Frequency is everything. If the objective is get transit users to make spontaneous trips (ie. Hey, we're out of milk!), a frequency of ten minutes or less is pretty much a must. It makes it feasible to just walk to the stop and wait for the next bus, rather than having to check a schedule.
I must admit, I don't see a whole lot of value in the current psuedo-BRT. From what I've seen, only one route (305 EB) shows any marked improvement in trip length at peak, and off peak there's no real difference at all. Is it actually worth having a whole different service running parallel to existing mainlines if it doesn't provide a substantial time benefit, or would it make more sense to just increase capacity on the existing services (Routes 1,2 and 3)?
Then again, if shaving off 2-3 minutes provides enough of an incentive to get more people using transit, I suppose that's an added value.