HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:28 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Im all for a 45 & 35 story building... I would even be willing to accept the RWP location if we could get that.

But then we would need somthing to fill in the gap.. This would be a perfect opertunity to implode the shilo inn and put up a 30+ story office building
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 6:05 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
If people would like to see a convention center hotel in SLC, make sure you consider who you vote for in November, if you live in Salt Lake County. Both Republican candidates for county mayor have expressed that they do not support the idea. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile2/54300794-218/winder-mayor-salt-county.html.csp

Last edited by UTPlanner; Jun 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
If people would like to see a convention center hotel in SLC, make sure you consider who you vote for in November, if you live in Salt Lake County. Both Republican candidates for county mayor have expressed that they do not support the idea.
That is great information, thank you for sharing.
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:48 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
Aye. Waaay past due.


... wish I had known about the stances on the hotel towers before I early voted...
__________________
Giant Meteor 2024
Just end it all already.
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:20 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Aye. Waaay past due.


... wish I had known about the stances on the hotel towers before I early voted...
You can correct that in the general election in November.
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,756

Last edited by delts145; Jun 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM.
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:35 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
What a great picture of our skyline!
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:31 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Trib story about the potential Convention Center Hotel, and the Repubs who hope to kill it:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54341909-78/hotel-salt-council-county.html.csp
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:00 PM
Lilljemalm Lilljemalm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Trib story about the potential Convention Center Hotel, and the Repubs who hope to kill it:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54341909-78/hotel-salt-council-county.html.csp
I read the comments following the article. Is it true that the county or city require that free parking be included to attach to the Salt Palace? If that's the only issue and the developers are willing to pay for the hotel, then why not simply change the ordinance so that free parking is not required? I've never attended conventions and meetings in other cities and had free parking. Please clarify.
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:26 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilljemalm View Post
I read the comments following the article. Is it true that the county or city require that free parking be included to attach to the Salt Palace? If that's the only issue and the developers are willing to pay for the hotel, then why not simply change the ordinance so that free parking is not required? I've never attended conventions and meetings in other cities and had free parking. Please clarify.
I didn't read all the comments, I choose to stop at Makids because it made sense. The article itself didn't state anything about free parking, the part that the county and city would be paying for would be the additional convention space that is part of the hotel, but that is connected to the Salt Palace, and parking for patrons of the convention center. This parking wouldn't be free, the current Salt Palace parking isn't free either.
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:28 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
There are free parking requirements from what I have read in the past, that is why I posted it in the comment.

The county is given a percentage of the parking fees as they do have paid parking. But it allows the county to provide free parking for civic events or events where the free parking is needed from what I remember reading.
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:31 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There are free parking requirements from what I have read in the past, that is why I posted it in the comment.

The county is given a percentage of the parking fees as they do have paid parking. But it allows the county to provide free parking for civic events or events where the free parking is needed from what I remember reading.
Got it, I finally read the remaining comments. So the parking wouldn't always be free, only if the county deemed it important for an event? Has the county ever offered free parking for civic events in the the current SP parking garage?
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:50 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
They offered free parking for the VA job fair about 2 months ago. They do offer the free parking on occasion.

I think that they prefer to control the public parking with the Salt Palace to ensure that some conventions are able to have parking available. If it was privately controlled, there wouldn't be any guaranty that parking would be available for conventions when needed.
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:44 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
It doesn't make sense that the republicans would vote to not expand the convention center as a package deal for the hotel. From what I understand, it would increase the convention business. And, thus, more income for the county and city. I don't see the cons. Does anybody else?
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:52 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Also, has there been any word regarding the UPAC proposals. They were due on Tuesday. Does anybody know who to call to find out?
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:59 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
The biggest argument that I have heard from Republicans is that they are against utilizing government funds in any type of private enterprise, that the market should dictate when and where a project like this should happen. I don't necessarily agree with them though I admittedly have reservations about tax money being utilized in such a manner. I would just want to make sure that the risk of losing those tax payer funds is minimal.

I do find it odd that Mayor Winder would say he's against the convention hotel when WVC just did a similar project but with much more risk for the city and he completely supported it.

Just an FYI, but the Boyer Company has submitted plans to construct an 9 or 10 story office building at 101 South 200 East. I don't know a lot of details about it but they have submitted for the approval of a Planned Development.
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:30 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Just an FYI, but the Boyer Company has submitted plans to construct an 9 or 10 story office building at 101 South 200 East. I don't know a lot of details about it but they have submitted for the approval of a Planned Development.
Will this be on the surface lot on the SE corner?

That is great news. Hopefully this means that the market is recovering well and maybe we will hear about the UPAC tower being completed with the theater and not in a later phase.
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:40 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Great! Finally something that is replacing a parking lot, rather than an older building.
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:41 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just an FYI, but the Boyer Company has submitted plans to construct an 9 or 10 story office building at 101 South 200 East. I don't know a lot of details about it but they have submitted for the approval of a Planned Development.

At first I was thinking this would of been the cowboy partners housing project on the corner of 200 E. and 100 S. But that can't be right since this one is by the Boyer company. Nevertheless it would seem that right now SLC has a bigger demand for office space then housing.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 9:01 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
That is great news, I think 9-10 stories is a good height for that location and for any building east of 200 E, and north of 350 S. I like the idea of more height facing 400 S, but 9-10 is great for the area I usually refer to as East Downtown.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.