HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:19 AM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
All this talk of movies makes me want to watch Poolhall Junkies again. One of my favorite "shot in SLC movies"
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:37 AM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I just noticed this while looking through the SLC Compilation page. The rendering of the downtown library shows a building to the south of the main building, and north of the old library (Leonardo). The spot for this building is just grass now. Does anybody know what this building was going to be and what happened to the plans?



     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:49 AM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Moved to SLC MSA thread

Last edited by DCRes; Jun 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM.
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 4:06 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I just noticed this while looking through the SLC Compilation page. The rendering of the downtown library shows a building to the south of the main building, and north of the old library (Leonardo). The spot for this building is just grass now. Does anybody know what this building was going to be and what happened to the plans?



I think that building is a add on to the Leonardo during a later phase.
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:57 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
I think that the Trib did a similar article on this that may have been mentioned already. Here's Deseret News' rendition...

S.L. Public Safety Building designed to be energy-efficient
SALT LAKE CITY — The skeleton of Salt Lake City's new Public Safety Building has reached its full height and now, as builders put flesh on its bones, the structure could become a national model for how to use and generate energy.

"The goal is for the building to produce as much energy as it uses," said lead designer David Brems of GSBS Architects. If that goal is achieved, it would be Utah's first "net zero" building, a designation claimed by only a handful of structures across the country.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86555...ing-designed-to-be-energy-efficient.html
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:54 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I just noticed this while looking through the SLC Compilation page. The rendering of the downtown library shows a building to the south of the main building, and north of the old library (Leonardo). The spot for this building is just grass now. Does anybody know what this building was going to be and what happened to the plans?



I believe they scrapped that a while back due to funding issues.
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 5:46 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Not exactly development news, but probably interesting to members of this forum.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865557583/New-Big-Bus-launches-tours-of-Salt-Lake-City.html

Quote:
New 'Big Bus' launches tours of Salt Lake City

Taking in Salt Lake's premier tourist attractions will be a bit easier now that visitors to Utah's capital city can board the "Big Bus."

The new open air, hop-on, hop-off sightseeing tour bus will operate daily from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. starting from just outside the Visit Salt Lake Welcome Center at 90 S. West Temple at the Salt Palace Convention Center. Tours will last about 90 minutes with 19 stops.
I've always wondered if a tour like this could be successful in Salt Lake. I want to take the tour and see exactly what they say.
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 8:43 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Big Bus Utah tour stops

1. Welcome Center at Salt Palace Convention Center, 90 S. West Temple

2. Lion House*

3. Temple Square (west)

4. Council Hall

5. North Capitol Hill

6. Temple Square (east)

7. Cathedral of the Madeleine

8. Governor's Mansion

9. Rice-Eccles Stadium

10. Utah Museum of Fine Arts*

11. Fort Douglas Military Museum

12. Natural History Museum of Utah*/Red Butte Garden*

13. This Is The Place Heritage Park*

14. Hogle Zoo*

15. Tracy Aviary*

16. Trolley Square

17. The Leonardo*/Library Square

18. City Creek Center

19. The Gateway*/Clark Planetarium*

     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770

Kristin Murphy, Deseret News


I laughed when I saw this bus. Very cool...I think it will be a popular attraction. I'd like to go for a spin on this tour myself, just to ride the bus.
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:42 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 883
I live in Glendale so I am psyched for a new library only blocks from my house!

From the MSA thread (Which is weird cuz "Glendale" is an SLC neighborhood, not a suburb, but whatevs...)

     
     
  #231  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
I think a lot of people don't realize how close Glendale is to Downtown.
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:53 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I actually posted the link about the Glendale library in the SLC thread and then decided to move it to the MSA thread. I guess i shouldn't have second guessed my first instinct and left it in this thread my bad
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 4:04 PM
gemery's Avatar
gemery gemery is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Preface: I generally read through posts and don't keep track of who says what. That means that I don't remember where any of you say you live, where any of you say you work, or who makes useful insights (I love you all equally! ).

So, all of this time, I often heard of Glendale, and I guess I assumed that all of those comments came from the same person who was very proud of living in Glendale, CA. Turns out I should have been realizing it was an SLC neighborhood ...
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 7:10 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
The designs for UPAC are supposed to be submitted tomorrow. Is there an event where the public gets to see the three submitted designs presented? Or if not, will the public have to wait until the winner is picked in July?
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 8:53 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
The designs for UPAC are supposed to be submitted tomorrow. Is there an event where the public gets to see the three submitted designs presented? Or if not, will the public have to wait until the winner is picked in July?

At the pace this is going I wouldn't be surprise if we don't see the final design til NEXT summer.
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 2:44 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Saw this little blurb in the SL Tribune this morning:

Quote:
Salt Lake County Council • Will consider potential midyear revisions to the 2012 budget, a proposal to put a $123 million bond for parks on the November ballot and the hiring of a consultant to evaluate the possibility of building a downtown convention-center hotel; Tuesday, June 19, 9:45 a.m., Room 2003, North Building, County Government Center, 2001 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Decisions about the parks bond and the hotel consultant also are scheduled to be part of the council’s formal 4 p.m. meeting. View the Salt Lake County agenda.
At least this is movement on the hotel.
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 2:56 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Let's convince them to hire Future Mayor as the consultant!
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:01 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Hehe, I can see it now:

Council: All agreed to hire FM for the role?
Council: Aye
FM: I have finished my analysis.
Council: Already?
FM: Yes, already.
Council: What is your recommendation?
FM: Build it. Build it now. Build 2 even.

I like that process. Let's do it...
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:33 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Let's convince them to hire Future Mayor as the consultant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Hehe, I can see it now:

Council: All agreed to hire FM for the role?
Council: Aye
FM: I have finished my analysis.
Council: Already?
FM: Yes, already.
Council: What is your recommendation?
FM: Build it. Build it now. Build 2 even.

I like that process. Let's do it...
I like the way you guys think!

I will only agree to the above if my final recommendation can be as follows: One hotel, two towers, one 45 stories and one 35 stories. All in favor say Aye!
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:17 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I like the way you guys think!

I will only agree to the above if my final recommendation can be as follows: One hotel, two towers, one 45 stories and one 35 stories. All in favor say Aye!
Aye. Do it now.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.